walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Coulin Forest, Kintail and Jimmy's 100th

Coulin Forest, Kintail and Jimmy's 100th

Postby simon-b » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig, Aonach Meadhoin, Beinn Liath Mhòr, Càrn Ghluasaid, Ciste Dhubh, Maol Chean-dearg, Mullach Fraoch-choire, Sàil Chaorainn, Sàileag, Sgòrr Ruadh, Sgùrr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Sgùrr nan Conbhairean

Date walked: 08/06/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was rather busy heading up the A82 and A87 on Saturday 7 June and I had an important deadline: to meet Jimmy (jamesjones) for a pint in the Kintail Lodge Hotel bar! After overtaking a few caravans etc. I made it to my B and B at Innis a' Chro near Morvich, and that evening honoured my commitment. This was the start of a fortnight in the Highlands: 7 nights in Kintail, and 7 at Spean bridge. This report deals with the first week.

Sunday 8/6/14: Carn Ghluasaid, Sgurr nan Conbhairean, Sail Chaorainn
Distance: 17.3 km
Ascent: 1368 m
Time: 6.1 h

8 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jimmy was doing the S. Glen Shiel ridge this day, so en route from Innis a' Chro to Lundie I picked him up where he'd parked at Malagan Bridge and dropped him off at Cluanie. On reaching Lundie, I encountered another walker who introduced himself as Dave, from Glossop. We agreed to walk the East Kintail 3 together.

Dave en route to Carn Ghluasaid:
P6080009.JPG

On Carn Ghluasaid, with a cloudy Sgurr nan Conbhairean in the background:
P6080012.JPG

Sgurr nan Conbhairean was in mist when we reached it, but a view appeared just as we were about to leave.

On Sail Chaorainn, looking over Creag na Coire Mheadhoin:
P6080024.JPG

Descending towards Loch Cluanie:
P6080038.JPG

We came down on the west side of Allt Coire nan Clach. In spate, this burn would be better crossed higher up, as per WH route description.

Monday 9/6/14: Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgorr Ruadh
Distance: 18.4 km
Ascent: 1430 m
Time: 8 h

9 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was my first venture into Coulin Forest, and a very impressive place it is.

Two views from Beinn Liath Mhor's east ridge:
Fuar Tholl...
P6090053.JPG

...and Sgorr Ruadh:
P6090055.JPG

Beinn Eighe from Beinn Liath Mhor:
P6090057.JPG

Although the weather was clear, care was needed in finding the path on the steep descent at NG 959 516.

Loch Torridon, Beinn Alligin and Liathach from Sgorr Ruadh:
P6090087.JPG

Looking back to Beinn Liath Mhor on the walk out:
P6090101.JPG

The fine weather held until shortly before the end of the walk, but the rain without wind didn't send the Achnashellach midges away. They couldn't spoil a superb day, though.

Tuesday 10/6/14
Saileag, Sgurr a' Bhealaich Dheirg, Aonach Meadhoin, Ciste Dhubh
Distance: 16.5 km
Ascent: 1678m
Time: 8 h

10 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jimmy and I had arranged to do the Brothers' ridge together, leaving a vehicle at either end, as we'd done in 2012 with the 5 Sisters.

View in retrospect of Saileag, backed by the 5 Sisters, en route to Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg:
P6100115.JPG

Approaching Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg:
P6100117.JPG

Moving towards Ciste Dhubh:
P6100125.JPG

Descending from Ciste Dhubh with An Cnapach in front:
P6100128.JPG

Jimmy suggested giving the Corbett, Am Bathach, a miss, and I agreed.

Wednesday 11/6/14: A' Chralaig, Mullach Fraoch-choire
Distance: 14.7 km
Ascent: 1241 m
Time: 6 h

11 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another day walking with Jimmy, and these two Munros were lined up to be his 99th and 100th. The weather was a bit damp and misty at first, and A' Chralaig was in clag when we reached it. But a slight clearance of the clouds allowed something of a view.

Loch Cluanie from A' Chralaig:
P6110135.JPG

The ridge leading to Mullach Fraoch-choire:
P6110143.JPG

Jimmy reaching the ton on Mullach Fraoch-choire!..
P6110145.JPG

As with A' Chralaig, the Mullach was in and out of the mist, so we did get some views.

So, congratulations to Jimmy on bagging 100 Munros. After the walk, he drove back home to Alnwick. I returned to my B and B and looked at the WH 'meeting up' board on my phone. Fife Flyer was intending to do the two Loch Lochy Munros on Saturday 14th, the day I would be driving from Kintail to my next B and B in Spean Bridge. Strategically, it made sense to join him, so the arrangement was made. Martin (FF) and I were also to be accompanied by Karen (kmai1961).

Thursday 12/6/14: Meall Chean-dearg
Distance: 16.3 km
Ascent:972 m
Time: 5.9 h

12 6 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

My second visit to Coulin Forest, and the weather again allowed some superb views.

Moving towards Meall Chean-dearg:
P6120168.JPG

An Ruadh-stac from just above Bealach a' Choire Ghairbh:
P6120172.JPG

Liathach and Beinn Eighe from Meall Chean-dearg:
P6120174.JPG

Descending, with Meall nan Ceapairean in front:
P6120181.JPG

On the descent from the Bealach, I stopped to talk to another walker who was ascending. With a look of alarm, he pointed towards my right hand. I hadn't felt it, but a great cleg had landed there; fortunately, I brushed it off before it could get its teeth in.

Friday 13th was a rather wet day in the west, so I had a rest and went to Inverness; the weather wasn't so bad there.

So that was the end of a superb week around Kintail, and I made ready to head to Spean Bridge via Loch Lochy.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Coulin Forest, Kintail and Jimmy's 100th

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:46 am

Nice one Simon, what a busy little bee you were, looks like weather improved after that :lol:

We could have done with your superb knowledge on Sunday up Gulvain, as the 3 of us were hopeless not only at remembering hills but also pronouncing them :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to part 2 :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Jings - you certainly packed a lot into the first week :thumbup: Weather looked not bad on the whole - glad it was good for Achnashellach area to get the views.
Think you deserved a day off on the Friday and am looking forwrad to week 2 - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 pm

Yikes Simon a great effort and fully deserve your rest in Inverness :clap: :clap: :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Thanks, Martin. I couldn't complain about the first week's weather anyway. Without the pronunciation and meaning button on this site, I'd be pretty clueless about the Gaelic names.

Cheers, RH, it was a stroke of luck to get clear weather around Achnashellach; those views must be some of the best in Scotland.

Thanks a lot, LH. Pity you couldn't make the Helvellyn trip in April. I'm sure there'll be future opportunities to get on the hills.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland