walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Magnificent 7 conquer Corrour 3

Magnificent 7 conquer Corrour 3

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Route description: Loch Ossian circuit from Corrour Station

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Sgòr Gaibhre

Date walked: 28/06/2014

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1550m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Firstly we should pay tribute & offer our sympathies to Martin (MG1976) who organised this little outing/gathering, I will let him explain/rant about why he failed to make an appearance & wasn't even offered the services of a taxi from Preston to Corrour :lol: The English rail companies obviously aren't as caring or compassionate as Scotrail :(
The plan was hatched to meet at either Crianlarich or Corrour, Martin having researched all the train times & costings, especially as bookings had to be made as we were catching the earliest available train from Crianlarich, which happened to be the sleeper. So bookings were made with Scotrail & tickets were received in the post & we all had seat reservations.
6 of us arrived bright & early at Crianlarich, but due to the severe midge activity we had to take avoiding action.
This was the first time I had travelled on a sleeper & I have to say I suitably impressed, the carriages were almost luxurious, curtains on the windows, foot rests, seats were wider & more comfortable with much more leg room. We had been allocated seats in coach "S" which just happened to be the last coach & as the train was fairly lengthy & Crianlarich platform isn't, this involved wandering through the last couple of carriages, carrying our rucksacks & looking like proper adventurers :lol:
The train journey from Crianlarich to Corrour was absolutely superb, it was a real treat just sitting back & admiring the views, totally different from driving :wink: It would have been nice to face the direction we were travelling but that is just nit picking :lol:
So at 9am we duly arrived at the remote outpost of the British Empire known as Corrour Station & file off the train carefully trying not to hit fellow passengers with our rucksacks. Once we assembled outside the station we met Evie (Sunny Speyside) who had arrived from the north.
We knew we were up against it time wise as the last train south leaves Corrour at 1825hrs, so we didn't hang around & headed along the fairly newly constructed track, the plan was to follow the WH route and climb the 2 munro's to the south of Loch Ossian first :wink:
We set off at a fair old pace & although it was hardly June weather we soon warmed up once we started the uphill trek.
The summit of Carn Dearg was reached, however almost on cue the clag arrived just as we were about to leave. I won't mention that fact that one of the group Andy (AJ Nicholls) has a history of taking clag with him, certainly on the 2 occasions I have walked with him the views have been limited :lol:
A couple of photo's were taken & as it was a bit chilly it was time to move on. In our anxiety to press on, we followed what we thought was the path to Sgor Gaibhre. After we had descended maybe a 100' or so it was time to check & make sure we heading the right way, just as well because instead of heading east we were heading south :( You have to bear in mind visibility was about 20m, so it was a 180 back up to the summit :lol:

DSCF4713.JPG
A couple of posers in the way up Carn Dearg, Loch Ossian in the background

DSCF4719.JPG
Looking back over Loch Ossian, the youth hostel is hidden by the trees

DSCF4728.JPG
The magnificent 7 on the summit of Carn Dearg

I am going to have to get more practice using my tripod, everyone else is looking at the camera, I have yet to master this difficult task :lol:

DSCF4727.JPG
Quite an impressive cairn on Carn Dearg

So once we were heading in the right direction, the clag lifted and we could see exactly where we were heading, quite a good path across moorland. There are one or two patches that could pose problems underfoot, after a lengthy spell of rain, but we hardly got our boots dirty :lol:
The summit of Sgor Gaibhre was reached without too much difficulty :wink:

DSCF4731.JPG
The way across the moorland to Sgor Gaibhre

DSCF4733.JPG
The summit of Sgor Gaibhre, nothing special. Note waterproof jackets on!

DSCF4734.JPG
A wee snack was taken on the summit & Chris decided to sit all by himself, may have had HAKE sandwiches & didn't want to show the rest of us!

The plan was to head down the grassy slopes to Corrour Lodge, however Evie had plenty of time to spare & decided to take in the nearby summit of Sgor Choinnich. We then decided to head over the grassy slope to Meall Nathrach Mor (834m) as it wasn't too far off our decent route, we also thought it could be a Corbett 8)
Now the bad news for Chris (jepsonscotland), unfortunately it isn't listed as a Corbett so you didn't bag your first one, so the huge round of applause you received was in vane :lol: :lol:

DSCF4738.JPG
The summit of Meall Nathrach Mor, not a Corbett, not a spectacular cairn either

DSCF4740.JPG
Looking down to Corrour Lodge

DSCF4741.JPG
Looking up towards Aonach Beag & Uisge Labhair

DSCF4748.JPG
Looking along Loch Ossian

We reached a de-forested area to east of Corrour Lodge before 1345hrs and we figured we were going to be able to manage Ben na Lap as well. The original plan was to head up to the summit from the east, initially crossing a de-forested area which would be far more difficult and not ideal after nearly 5 hours of walking :roll:

DSCF4752.JPG
Our ready made dining area

DSCF4753.JPG
Barry & Colleen

So we set off along the track taking us past Corrour Lodge & I came up with a really cunning plan :lol:
I suggested we walk along the track heading west along the north bank of Loch Ossian, climb up Ben na Lap via the WH suggested route, however as we would be descending the same way, why not leave our rucksacks near the start of the climb :lol: Everyone was in favour of the plan so we marched along the track, the track is one of the best I have walked along & would be ideal for racing along on a mountain bike 8)
We reached the foot of Ben na Lap shortly after 3pm, so we had just over 3 hrs to get up & down, easy peasy :lol:

DSCF4755.JPG
Dumping the rucksacks & having a good drink before departing

So off we set uphill, it was rather strange walking lightweight and we started off in good spirits, but that didn't last long as the slog uphill was energy sapping, especially after walking 20+ km :lol: As usual Andy set off in his usual mountain goat fashion, with Barry & Colleen trying to keep up with him but to no avail :lol: I was next trying to keep up & failing miserably & at the coo's tail was Karen & Chris :lol: Chris will no doubt use the old excuse of new boots and sore feet, but that isn't really very original :lol:

DSCF4759.JPG
A stop to catch my breath, Loch Ossian & the youth hostel

It has to be said that the views from the summit of Ben na Lap will take some beating, a full 360 panorama. It was getting cold & a brisk wind was making it feel even colder. I should have taken far more photo's but I was feeling a bit on the cool side :(

DSCF4773.JPG
The Easain Ridge

DSCF4775.JPG
Evie arriving out of the blue

DSCF4781.JPG
Karen & Chris sprinting up to the summit, note the background shot

DSCF4782.JPG
Summit pose, Chris trying his best to show off his new boots

DSCF4783.JPG
Summit pose number 2

DSCF4791.JPG
Youth hostel visible at last

DSCF4793.JPG
Corrour Restaurant with the station hiding behind

The descent was fairly pleasant & easy, Barry & I descended down the grassy slopes we were both keen to get back to our rucksacks, mainly for a drink. The trip up & down Ben na Lap took under 2 hours and the change of plan proved to be worthwhile 8) Evie decided to remain on the summit & enjoy the views & had the luxury of dawdling, as her train wasn't until after 9pm and was planning to taste the food on offer in the restaurant. I take it you got home alright, albeit rather late, was the food any good? :wink:
We arrived at the station before 6pm and I would estimate there were another 10 or so folk also waiting for the train, we discussed the logic in the restaurant not opening until 6.30pm, 5 minutes after the last train south :roll:
Scotrail could also make a few extra pennies - Andy suggested a vending machine containing drinks, which if you think about it would need filling at least weekly. I daresay just about everyone on the station has been walking & could murder a tin of something or other :lol:
The train arrived ON TIME and had 4 carriages, naturally we were in carriage A, which was at the front & had to accessed by the carriage behind :lol:
The train journey back to Crianlarich for me was even better as I was facing towards the front & the views over Rannoch Moor, the hills round the Bridge of Orchy & Tyndrum were amazing 8)

We had decided earlier that the 6 of us heading south would eat in Crianlarich & as there isn't a great deal of choice opted for the 'Rod & Reel'. The food was OK, some selections better than others, Andy's haggis took the prize for presentation :wink: I was a bit bemused having looked at the menu, if you were dining in a place called the Rod & Reel you would expect to be looking at a menu full of fish dishes. So if anyone is planning to go there for a great selection of fishy treats, don't bother as the only fish dish is Fish & Chips :shock: :o , which is not even very original.

Yet another successful, fantastic day out in great company and without WH none of us would have ever met, really feel sorry for Martin as I know you were looking forward to this little outing :(
I was going to use a snooker related title but the day wasn't about me (147) it was a team effort, well done to all my fellow walkers for making the day so memorable :clap: :clap:
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Fife Flyer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Magnificent 7 conquer Corrour 3

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:31 pm

You did the right thing by heading along the track and up Beinn na Lap from the front. I did it round the back of the trees after doing the other two munros and it was a horrible walk. It was up and down like a rollercoaster and the underfoot conditions varied wildly.

It was a couple of years ago that I did them and I was fortunate that the restaurant was open in the morning for a bacon sandwich and on the way home for a cup of tea. Strange decision to close until 6.30.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Looked like a very enjoyable trip, shame about one of yous not making it though...at least he gets to see what he could've done :wink:

I think we have all wandered off the wrong path from a summit. I now take a reading at every summit if in the clag.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby simon-b » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Another fine outing, Martin. I'm glad you got some photos to post of those great views from Beinn na Lap on an otherwise claggy day.
dooterbang wrote:I think we have all wandered off the wrong path from a summit. I now take a reading at every summit if in the clag.

Cheers.

True, but I really had no excuse earlier this year for visiting Loft Crag in the Langdale Pikes for the seventh time, and leaving the summit 180 degrees off course :oops:.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby AJNicholls » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:50 am

Great report as always!

I think Barrie and me hit the summit area of Beinn na Lap together, but he waited for Colleen to complete the tina bonar tag team before tapping the cairn (very sweet, kudos!)

I found my balance was a bit off without a rucksack when climbing Beinn na Lap; only done that once before, last year on Hallin Fell in the Lake District. Still a good idea to approach Beinn na Lap the way we did though... I was wondering what scheme you were dreaming up when you got your map out when we were yamming our grub!

Sorry that my suspicions that Meall Nathrach Mor couldn't be prominent enough to be a Corbett turned out to be correct. It was certainly a time I'd have been happy to have been proven wrong! ;)

I ended up oversleeping on the Sunday then going out for another 4 Munros. Fun fun fun.

Great to meet some more WalkHighlanders, hope to run into you each again sometime soon. :)
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Martin, great read, great day! Superb area and to get the three done a bonus and with time to spare. There are not a lot of munros you can be up and down within two hrs. But I thought you might have ticked off the wee Corbett across the railway line as well :lol: :lol: it's a pity the Station House doesn't open until later but they have to have some time to themselves as they are catering for B and Bs and Evening meals. I do know that they are trying to put pressure on Scotrail to supply vending machines and also install at least a toilet in the old station buildings, fingers crossed. I bet Evie enjoyed her meal and pint of Corrour Gold :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:58 am

Hi Martin,
Another great report with excellent pics as always. You've captured the flavour of the day very well. :clap:
It was a cracking day out with great company. :D
Big shout for Evie, for doing it the hard way! :clap: It was quite a marathon but the weather helped keep our temperature's down.
Looking forward to seeing you all again. Nethy bridge soon...................
Cheers
Chris
Thanks for not mentioning me having to go off and change socks at each summit due to wearing new boots! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby MG1976 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:11 am

Well Martin, where do I begin?

A tough read, this report; i'm still a little bitter that I couldn't join you all on the day.
As you said, a fair bit of planning for this one; and, for myself, a fair bit more travelling than most.

Everything was going good on Friday;
- Got finished with work by 13:00
- Home, picked up the boys from school by 17:00
- Dinner and showers for the boys, ready for bed as soon as mum got home from work.
- 20:00, Jess gets home. She has her dinner as I finish getting my stuff together.
- 20:45, off to the train station, in plenty of time for the 2120 to Manchester.
- Quiet train leaving York, quickly to cattle pen when the Leeds revellers piled on, heading back across the Pennines.
- 2nd train from Manchester 2245, Preston bound.
- Delays, Problems, Whatever = NIGHTMARE!
- Scheduled arrival time 23:30
- Scheduled Sleeper departure time 00:50
- Actual arrival time 01:00

That was that, no other trains until 0400, and that one was heading back to Manchester.
So, while my cosy bunk trundled slowly and empty Northbound, and the rest of you slept, I had the joy of watching the Freight Train-Spotters, scurrying around Preston Station, getting excited at the latest stream of cars, being Heavy-Hauled to Scotland.
Waiting rooms closed, bathrooms closed.
And, thanks to the newly installed arm rests on the platform benches, I couldn't even stretch out and get a few hours kip until the morning train.

Them are the breaks sometimes, and we feel hard done to at times.
But when you get back home, and your family are there to feel sorry for you, you realise that life could be worse, a lot worse.
The hills remain, and friendships survive missed oppertunities.

So, I am happy for the rest of you.
The plans seems to have worked out well, even if you (Flyer) had to admit that the train was better than the car this day.
Some new friends made, plenty of Blue Balloons, and some great views by the looks of it.

Until the next time.
Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby goth_angel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:53 pm

Great report and some good pics.

Nightmare re the train situation though, I hope you are going to complain - you should be able to get some money back.

About the restaurant - they don't open earlier as they don't cater for 'drop ins' on food - everything is made to order, has to be brought in down the estate tracks and that takes time. The food is brilliant and well worth booking for. They get bookings from non residents as well as residents and just don't have the capacity for drop ins.

They do serve drinks to non diners after 6.30 though.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby old danensian » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 pm

Glad you all (well almost all) got round and in time for the return.

Strange how those tracks from the tops in clag always seem to lead you off in the wrong direction.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby GillC » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:13 pm

Fab report Martin,,look forward to these 3 sometime, good to see some familiar faces from the Sgulaird trip last Nov :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Sunny Speyside » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:28 pm

What a fine report Martin and what a fine day out it was :clap:
Having tackled Beinn Na Lap the hard way I decided to reward myself with a large glass of wine and some wonderful loin of venison from the Corrour Estate....superb :D
I will be back in there sometime soon to do the lovely looking Corbett on the other side of the tracks and I might just manage another supper at the Station Restaurant while waiting for my train- the timetable does seem to benefit those of us living in the North :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Evie
Sunny Speyside
Stravaiging

Munros:253   Corbetts:62
Fionas:34   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:17   

Postby kmai1961 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:26 pm

Echoing everyone else's comments: gutted on behalf of Martin's missed sleeper connection :( , magnificent day, fantastic company, great trip report. :D

Oh, and btw, if any of you others happened to catch "sticky bum" from our tree-stump brasserie, apparently anything alcohol- or oil-based removes resin/sap from clothing -- hand gel, peanut butter (!!), WD-40, etc. I used nail polish remover, and it worked a treat.

Karen
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:34 pm

kmai1961 wrote:I used nail polish remover, and it worked a treat. Karen

Useful handy tip for us MEN :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby kmai1961 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Useful handy tip for us MEN :lol:

So it's the WD-40 for you, then. :)
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:91   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:51   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland