walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Un-chained Melody- Aonach Beag Ridge Walk/ Cycle/ Stagger

Un-chained Melody- Aonach Beag Ridge Walk/ Cycle/ Stagger

Postby gordon l » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:35 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag: Four Munros from Culra

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Alder), Beinn Èibhinn, Càrn Dearg (Loch Pattack), Geal-chàrn (Alder)

Date walked: 29/06/2014

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 48.5 km

Ascent: 1110m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking a bike onto the hills adds another dimension to a day trip. It can transform a mundane walk out from a seemingly endless drudge into an effortless cruise, the miles melt away as you slip through the gears and freewheel the downhill sections. It's a time and energy saver which means you can go further and faster, lending extra layers of options to day trip destinations. Well that's the theory. If you don't pack your tools with you, and if your chain snaps before you've even sighted Culra Bothy, you'll finish your day semi-delirious from the sun that blasted you and the midges that nibbled you whilst you pushed, pulled and one-leggedly paddled your bike back,blistered, partially hunch-backed and fantasizing about foot spas. That's if you make it back to your car at all...
P1010588.JPG

P1010589-001.JPG

The track from Dalwhinnie is ideal for cycling: a flat, well-maintained and a pleasant cruise along the banks of Loch Ericht, it took us approximately one hour to pass the gates of £20 million Ben Alder Lodge and head up onto open hillside and the banks of Loch Pattack. Our previous night's accommodation had been the"quaint" Happy Haggis in Kingussie where you check in at the fish and chip counter. I wonder if the reception desk at the lodge had salt and vinegar and a jar of gherkins on it.
We opted to take the slightly longer path along the bonnie banks of the loch where a few wild campers were enjoying the priceless views.
P1010596.JPG
Carrying a mountain bike added a bit of interest to crossing the shoogly bridge but we were making great time until disaster struck with the snap of my bike chain.
P1010600.JPG
Since first taking a bike into the hills a year ago I've had a bit of a cavalier attitude towards carrying spare stuff like I should have done. Everything had gone so smoothly on trips to Torridon, the Cairngorms, Loch Lochy and more that maybe I had managed to trick myself into believing that it would always be thus. What a dafty. The difference between a bike and a car breaking down is that a car tends to give you some prior warning that all is not well: lights pop on on the dashboard, the engine makes weird noises, smoke appears from odd places... With a bike, it's much more sudden and catastrophic- one minute I was mobile, the next I was kaput (to put it politely).
Determined to make the most of our day, we pressed on to the bothy (which was more downhill than up) and paused to drink in the surroundings before heading onto the hills. It had taken one hour and 40 minutes from the level crossing to the bothy door which was decent, considering the mechanical mishap. Eating a pre-hill sandwich I admired a fellow walker's gleaming Mongoose MTB, glinting in the sunlight, little toolbag nestled beneath the saddle.Next time I would be better prepared I thought, already contemplating what the journey back would be like, compared to what it should have been like.
P1010602.JPG

The four hills themselves made for a great day out. A straightforward and fairly direct pull up the slopes from the bothy took us onto the summit of Carn Dearg an hour and fifteen minutes after dumping the bikes. The hillside was covered in various plants in differing stages of bloom, cloud berry and dwarf cornel both particularly pretty amongst the cotton grass. (thanks to IreneM for IDing my photos on another forum)
P1010627.JPG
Ben Alder tempting us back for another visit
P1010633.JPG
towards Gael Charn
In the foreground the views of Ben Alder drew the eye and further away the Ben and company lurked darkly out to the west.
P1020114.JPG
P1010639.JPG
P1010634.JPG

Giant snow sugar cubes hovered in a waterfall in the cliffs above Loch Sgoir as we ascended the ridgy Aisre Ghobhainn and popped onto the massive grassy plateau of Gael Charn. A tremendous feeling of empty space was soaked up as we strolled to the summit cairn, a further one km away.
P1020130.JPG
P1010632.JPG
A dozy dotterel stood in a summery dwam facing Creag Meagaidh-wards as we headed on along the ridge to Aonach Beag and then Beinn Eibhinn, its near neighbour.
P1010641.JPG
P1010652.JPG
P1020134.JPG
P1020139.JPG
P1010645.JPG
P1010646.JPG
The last two munros were covered in quick succession and then all that was left was to descend over grassy terrain to the Allt Coire a'Laobhair and over the stream to the stalkers path.
P1020143.JPG
As we descended, Loch Ossian sparkled to the south-west and it seemed like all the slopes were blossoming in their summer finery.
P1020158.JPG

Knowing that my steed back at the bothy was effectively lame, I jogged the 5km path back, worried about how long it would take to "cycle" back to Dalwhinnie. The path was a pleasure, skirting the stream in the shadows of the mighty Ben Alder to the right and Lancet Edge inviting you back again to the left.
P1010657.JPG
P1010659.JPG
P1020172.JPG
P1010663.JPG

The journey back to Dalwhinnie took just under two and a half hours although it felt more like two days.
P1020180.JPG
the looong and winding road
Any rough, or remotely uphill section involved pushing the bike, I tried to cycle on the flat sections in a similar way to Fred Flintstone's approach to driving (left foot on the pedal, right foot slapping the ground) and I eked every mm out of anything remotely downhill for some freewheeling. Thanks to Leonide for taking pity on me and letting me have a shot of her wheels for some of the way out. I may have given up and bedded down halfway along the beach if she hadn't.
Next day, I freewheeled down to my local cycle shop and ordered a new chain, a service and some special puncture-proof slime for my tyres. The owner didn't stock anything to soothe my blisters.
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Munros:247   Corbetts:45
Fionas:13   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:19   

Re: Un-chained Melody- Aonach Beag Ridge Walk/ Cycle/ Stagge

Postby smudger71 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi Gordon,

exactly the same happened to us on a trip a few years ago. Daniel managed t get a puncture just as we left the lakeside, requiring us to push his bike the last 7k and my chain snapped on the return trip. coasting along that road isn't too bad though!!!

looks like you got the weather for it. I can also recommend the lancet edge and the leachas ridges...pretty easy but great fun!!

M
smudger71
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   Corbetts:47
Fionas:24   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:11   

Postby gordon l » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi Mark,

That's a double dose of bad luck! I suppose these things are bound to happen from time to time. The ridges looked great and we'll definitely be back in the not too distant future. Hope you guys are still enjoying the great outdoors :D
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby Hantswalker » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Great trip and great report.

Is Culra locked up? Are there any notices about repair?
Hantswalker
Hill Bagger

Munros:267   Corbetts:12
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Enjoyed reading your report Gordon :clap:
Real tough luck with the bike, could happen to any of us, we could fill a rucksack with spare bits or keep our fingers crossed - I do the latter :lol: :lol:
Did that same route earlier in the year when the snow was lingering, fantastic days walking & a gruelling cycle, I was dismounting at the hint of an incline :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Silverhill » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:58 pm

I am so envious of your trip (the walking part, not the staggering :wink: ). I didn't see a thing a few weeks ago. Brilliant pictures. 8) I must return now.

Hantswalker wrote:Is Culra locked up? Are there any notices about repair?

Hantswalker, I stayed two nights in Culra bothy the second week of June. It wasn't locked up.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:12 am

Oh dear ... I should not laugh :lol:

:wink:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby gman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 am

Silverhill wrote:

Hantswalker, I stayed two nights in Culra bothy the second week of June. It wasn't locked up.

AFAIK it has unsafe asbestos levels & notices were put up advising people not to use it, but it was left unlocked for emergency use.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Oh my, what a shame about the bike. But the hills look fantastic and seems like you still enjoyed the day. I just got a MTB but wouldn't know what to do if my chain broke even if I had tools. Now you're making me wonder if I should use it for long distances off-road!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:54 pm

I do like a good bike 'n hike and this trip is perfect for it ! Cracking weather for it and the view of the bothy with the hills in the background is one of my favourites.

Rather than carry a spare chain, you could just carry a couple of link connectors or missing links like these and a chain tool - that way you can remove the broken link and reconnect the chain - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gordon l » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Silverhill wrote:I am so envious of your trip (the walking part, not the staggering :wink: ). I didn't see a thing a few weeks ago. Brilliant pictures. 8) I must return now.

It was a cracking trip to a great area.
Shame you didn't get the views
Collaciotach wrote:Oh dear ... I should not laugh :lol:

:wink:

Just had to grrrrrrin and bear it :D
Hantswalker wrote:Great trip and great report.

Is Culra locked up? Are there any notices about repair?

Cheers, really enjoyed our first trip to the area.Nothing about repairs on the bothy that I noticed, just warnings to keep out...
Fife Flyer wrote:Enjoyed reading your report Gordon :clap:
Real tough luck with the bike, could happen to any of us, we could fill a rucksack with spare bits or keep our fingers crossed - I do the latter :lol: :lol:
Did that same route earlier in the year when the snow was lingering, fantastic days walking & a gruelling cycle, I was dismounting at the hint of an incline :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting :wink:

Thanks FF.Would be great to do the hills with some snow. Ben Alder beckons this winter perhaps.
AnnieMacD wrote:Oh my, what a shame about the bike. But the hills look fantastic and seems like you still enjoyed the day. I just got a MTB but wouldn't know what to do if my chain broke even if I had tools. Now you're making me wonder if I should use it for long distances off-road!

Ah don't let me put you off. I love taking the bike in for some hills. I do need to learn some basic bike maintenance. Should've stuck in more at Scouts.
rockhopper wrote:I do like a good bike 'n hike and this trip is perfect for it ! Cracking weather for it and the view of the bothy with the hills in the background is one of my favourites.

Rather than carry a spare chain, you could just carry a couple of link connectors or missing links [url=<a href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-chain-connectors/rp-prod25439" class="skimlinks-unlinked" data-skimwords-word="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chainreactioncycles.com%2Fkmc-chain-connectors%2Frp-prod25439" data-skim-creative="500005" title="" style="">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kmc-chain-connectors/rp-prod25439</a>]like these[/url] and a chain tool - that way you can remove the broken link and reconnect the chain - cheers :)

Cheers rockhopper. Already look forward to return trip. What other tracks would you recommend for biking in?
gordon l
Hill Bagger

Postby gaffr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:00 pm

Maybe I would have....no would have...... checked to see if the guy with the wee tool bag hanging......etc. to see if he was carrying a chain breaker tool? ....remove a whole link then rejoin etc.....you would have been pedaling back home. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:44 pm

gordon l wrote:What other tracks would you recommend for biking in?
Seeing your munro map, looks as though you've already covered many - you may know the following already but some ideas as follows:
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor
Ben Alder and Beinn Bheoil
Beinn Dearg and Carn a'Chlamain (+ Beinn Mheadhonach)

Normally from the Linn of Dee but can be done from Glen Feshie:
An Scarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir

Also, some use a bike for Ben Avon and Seana Bhraigh but haven't done so myself - cheers :)

PS if you're feeling energetic you can also cycle to the top of some, eg Geal-charn Mor (corbett) from Lynwilg :wink: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gordon l » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:34 am

Many thanks for ideas Rockhopper. Think a trip to Torridon may beckon soon.
gordon l
Hill Bagger

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland