walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Alls well that ends well Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh

Alls well that ends well Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Route description: Ben Lui and Beinn a'Chlèibh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Ben Lui

Date walked: 05/07/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 11.3 km

Ascent: 914m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Lui 20140706.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As per usual a late start from Edinburgh after going to the shops to get a pair of sandals and also got a pole!
From reading the other reports and very keen to keep my feet dry; I really like to have dry feet when walking, my plan was to wade across the river using my sandals and put my socks and boots on at the other side.
Worked a treat, and the water was actually quite warm.

sandals.jpg

To be honest as you can see the river wasn't very deep, but I recon I'd be good for a depth of 50cm if need be.
I crossed directly at the car park and walked along the far bank until the railway bridge where you could also cross the river.

Quickly across the railway line with due care and attention and into the forest.

Beine Lui railway line.jpg

The track follows the waterfall / stream all the way and is very pleasant. Further up the main stream is joined from the east at a point where the path goes through the junction. It was easily crossed without the need for sandals.

ben lui two streams water fall.jpg

On the day the noise level was ten or so decibels above babbling brook.

Not far after this there is a recent forestry commission track and bridge, nothing really to note other than the path about 50m before the forestry track splits into several paths with the original one being very boggy! BE sure to take the high road.

On up through the rest of the forest with the waterfall / stream to the right, the track continues to be a bit boggy as you go, but very manageable.

Through the gate at the top and into lush green Fionn Choire.

Beine Lui Fionn Choire.jpg

I'd been looking up at the North west flank of Beinn a'Cheibh on the way up and was sure I could pick my way up and decided to give it a go.

Beine Lui Beinn a'Cheibh flank.jpg

It started well enough and I made very good progress up to the first really steep part. To be honest it wasn't the steepness that was putting me off; the ground was wet grass and moss that was on a bed of unconsolidated rock.
I back tracked and tried another place, but just the same again. I traversed along on a sheep track and for another couple of attempts before finding this gulley which looked more promising and scramble up.

Beine Lui scramble gulley.jpg

I tried to push on up and tried another couple at what looked like promising routes, but the looseness of the terrain was the issue that finally convinced me just to pick up again on the sheep track and traverse round till the ground was less steep.

Once I was on confident ground I started to take in the beauty again and the weather was also being more kind, there had been a couple of showers on my direct route scrambling attempts.

Beine Lui view south.jpg

Made it to the top and a first view of Ben Lui from Beinn a'Chleibh.

Beine Lui first look.jpg

A sandwich at the top and a breather before pushing on as it was now about 7pm.

From now on the going was pretty easy although steep in places.
The path down into the bealach was easy and for the first time I tried out my stick, a pleasant surprise. It took a few adjustments and getting used to, but definitely a good aid especially on descents.

This view back up to Beinn a'Chleibh from just beyond the bealach.

Beine Lui Beinn a'Cheibh from bealach.jpg

The path up to Ben Lui soon peters out into an area of smaller rocks, and continues to come and go through an interesting mess of rocks.

Beine Lui mess of rocks.jpg

until emerging into the saddle between the two peaks.

Beine Lui saddle.jpg

A quick look around at some mid evening views of the sunbeam drenched valley below, this one west with Beinn a'Bhuiridh and Ben Cruachan. In every direction there was something awe inspiring to look at.

Beine Lui evening views.jpg

Time to move on again conscious of the time.

The path back down is steep in places with some scrambling, and in a couple of spots looks as though it is going to walk you off the edge of the world so to speak; don't panic it is an interesting and scenic decent until

Beine Lui back down the path.jpg

eventually I got to a big uninteresting pathless grassy slope.
The flank of Beinn a'Chleibh looks very manageable from here, perhaps when the ground is frozen and with an ice axe and crampons.

Beine Lui not that steep from this angle.jpg

Finding the terrain boring I decided to traverse south west into the top of Fionn Choire where the scenery is more interesting and the views up to the cliffs above the bealach

Beine Lui bealach cliffs.jpg

and the bealach itself.

Beine Lui bealach from Fionn.jpg

Time still a factor, so on down and the path comes and goes, but pretty much a case of following the stream down and it's mostly dry under foot with a few boggy patches.
I wonder how many of these big boulders are from rock falls and how many from the streams sculpting them out of the bedrock. Would be some impact if a rock fall.

Beine Lui stream rock.jpg

Back at the deer fence and gate into the forest for the final descent back down.

My feet were still surprisingly dry, waxing your leather boots is a great idea. Anyway every intention of putting on my sandals again for the crossing back, but the man in the moon had obviously informed the midges of my imminent arrival and they were waiting on mass for the ambush.

Beine Lui man in the moon.jpg

NO hanging around and off across with my boots on, and surprisingly still dry at the other side. Wax is good stuff!
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Alls well that ends well Ben Lui & Beinn a'Chleibh

Postby shish » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:11 pm

That wax is good stuff :D
shish
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:7   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:43 pm

A nice report, ancancha. Some interesting experiments with route finding up Beinn a'Chleibh there.
ancancha wrote:
Ben Lui 20140706.gpx

I wonder how many of these big boulders are from rock falls and how many from the streams sculpting them out of the bedrock. Would be some impact if a rock fall.

Not being a geologist, I can't tell how those particular boulders got there. But there is another reason as to why some got where they are now. Boulders known as erratics were deposited in their resting place by glaciers.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:51 pm

simon-b wrote:A nice report, ancancha. Some interesting experiments with route finding up Beinn a'Chleibh there.
ancancha wrote:
Ben Lui 20140706.gpx

Not being a geologist, I can't tell how those particular boulders got there. But there is another reason as to why some got where they are now. Boulders known as erratics were deposited in their resting place by glaciers.

Ah yes I forgot about that possibiliy, thanks Simon
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:00 pm

shish wrote:That wax is good stuff :D

:wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland