walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Claggy and difficult to navigate Seana Braigh.

Claggy and difficult to navigate Seana Braigh.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:46 pm

Route description: Seana Bhràigh

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 30/06/2014

Time taken: 9.3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Normally i wouldn't have went near this hill in the conditions i encountered but having driven up the night before due to the favourable forecast i had little option but to give it a go, as i hope to compleat in Torridon in July. When i arrived the cloud was low with no sign of it lifting, so i decided to sit in the car hoping it would clear up, checking the forecast in the meantime. The forecast was white cloud, with rain at 12 and sunny spells in the afternoon. Two other walkers then arrived to walk the Beinn Dearg group and they also confirmed it was to life as the day went on. I then decided to set off on the bike at 09.15, taking the bike as far as Glensguaib. It was an easy 7km walk in along the path, before the path ended and the problems began. I continued east with the aid of some small marker cairns but headed north to soon and then had to return. This happened on three occassions and on each one i was for heading back but each time i could see faint footprints in the mud and was sure i was heading the right way and just had to go east for a bit further. I decided to give it one last go by heading further east before heading north and soon i saw a path heading up north to Seana Bhraigh. This path however disappeared or i lost it as it climbed so i decided to just climb and i eventually reached the 906m top, initially thinking it was the summit, more hoping rather than thinking as i knew the cairn wasn't like the one i was on. I checked the map to find the summit was still a further 1km away and for me the easiest way to get there was to head for the craggy north west slopes and follow it to the summit. This is what i did and was soon on the summit of Seana Bhraigh, with nothing to see. All that was left now was to get myself back down so i headed south from the summit to follow the crag line down to the open ground. The cloud had now lifted and i made my way to landmarks i passed on the way up and then onto the path for the long walk out which wasn't near as easy as the walk in. Glad to have summited but not happy with the drizzly rain and clag, so my advice would be avoid unless good clear weather or you're confident in navigating over remote open terrain.
Fannichs 005.JPG

Fannichs 006.JPG

Fannichs 007.JPG

Fannichs 008.JPG

Fannichs 009.JPG

Fannichs 010.JPG

Fannichs 011.JPG

Fannichs 012.JPG

Fannichs 013.JPG

Fannichs 014.JPG

Fannichs 015.JPG

Fannichs 016.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Claggy and difficult to navigate Seana Braigh.

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Jings - bad luck with the weather, JC - you're right though, one to keep for better conditions if possible - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Well done for getting to the right place in that clag, Johnny. I can understand why the bit between Coire an Lochain Sgeirich and Cadha Dearg was tricky to navigate. Definitely a successful mission overall, and you did get one or two nice views along the way.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:22 pm

simon-b wrote:Well done for getting to the right place in that clag, Johnny. I can understand why the bit between Coire an Lochain Sgeirich and Cadha Dearg was tricky to navigate. Definitely a successful mission overall, and you did get one or two nice views along the way.
Thanks, though i've never been as close to turning back as i was on this walk but this was the awkward one i had left before hopefully finishing in July. It was a good sense of achievement getting there and more so getting back down again :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:19 pm

Well done a bhalaich :clap:

Looks a scunner in when the weather is Mossach , good luck with the finish .
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby scoob999 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:20 am

Unlucky :(

Just gives you a reason to go back and do it from the other side, a much better looking mountain from the Oykel bridge side anyway :D

Two left eh :wink:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:37 pm

A real shame about the weather JC. Well done for sticking at it though. One to return to when the sun is shining, as part of your second round :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Yep, well done for getting there in such clag. We have only climbed SB about a month ago and I remember we were a bit confused in Cadha Dearg area, too - and we had a cloudless day! Made the same mistake as you did, turned north too quickly and ended up standing atop a vertical cliff. Luckily, we could see where we were going so just followed the cliffs south-east until we found a good spot to get down. Definitely a hill for good conditions.

Good luck for the big finish! :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:58 pm

You getting tired or just auld ? you took your time on that one Johnny Boy. Think I done that one in half the time :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:53 am

Oh well done for getting out and getting it done in weather like this :clap: :clap:
Exciting that you only have 2 left to do :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:36 am

Great stuff, well done JC, hope you get a much better day for your Compleation in July :) When and where?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Well done a bhalaich :clap:

Looks a scunner in when the weather is Mossach , good luck with the finish .
scoob999 wrote:Unlucky :(

Just gives you a reason to go back and do it from the other side, a much better looking mountain from the Oykel bridge side anyway :D

Two left eh :wink:
Thanks Scoob, i had fancied doing it from the north but it made sense to go from here as i could do the 2 Fannichs the next day :D
PeteR wrote:A real shame about the weather JC. Well done for sticking at it though. One to return to when the sun is shining, as part of your second round :D
Yes definitley Pete :D
BlackPanther wrote:Yep, well done for getting there in such clag. We have only climbed SB about a month ago and I remember we were a bit confused in Cadha Dearg area, too - and we had a cloudless day! Made the same mistake as you did, turned north too quickly and ended up standing atop a vertical cliff. Luckily, we could see where we were going so just followed the cliffs south-east until we found a good spot to get down. Definitely a hill for good conditions.

Good luck for the big finish! :D
Yip read your report and thanks, going to finish on Ruadh stac Mor :D
mountain thyme wrote:You getting tired or just auld ? you took your time on that one Johnny Boy. Think I done that one in half the time :)
Was that the same day you walked in to Sheneval in one hour :?
Mountainlove wrote:Oh well done for getting out and getting it done in weather like this :clap: :clap:
Exciting that you only have 2 left to do :D :D
Thankyou, yip two to go, feels good :D
The Rodmiester wrote:Great stuff, well done JC, hope you get a much better day for your Compleation in July :) When and where?
I will Rod or i wont be going up. It's Ruadh stac Mor, sometime in July. I'll be at Kinlochewe for just over 2 weeks so should get at least one good day. :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland