walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair - fueled by the promise of doughnuts

Mullach Clach a'Bhlair - fueled by the promise of doughnuts

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 27/06/2014

Time taken: 2.6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 710m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the third day of the previously mentioned Gold Assessment from Aviemore to Kingussie, the long way round. In the early hours of the morning of day 2, I had left the tent near Corrour Bothy to do a route taking in the Devil's Point and Monadh Mor, before the long trek down the Dee to White Bridge, then along to the meeting of the Bynack and Geldie burns before heading out onto the moors beyond Geldie Lodge and camping next to the Feshie in the shadow of Carn an Ealar (or Fiddler or whatever it's supposed to be called).

On day 3 I set off well before the kids and made a bee line for the Feshie Bothy which would be our campsite for the third and final night (well, they'd be camped outside it and I'd be ensconced within it). Their original idea had been to do an ascent of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair from the bothy that afternoon/evening, but by this stage of the proceedings they seemed to have been thoroughly disabused of that notion.

It was a cracking walk down the Feshie as the surroundings changed from one of moorland to broad river valley. It was also my first time in Glen Feshie proper and despite my pace, I was really appreciating the beauty of my surroundings. I only wish I had taken some photos and included them in this report. Oh well, I have a feeling this route will be used again for a Gold Assessment so I'm sure I'll be back!

Now I hardly ever get blisters but this morning my right foot was really starting to give me some grief so it was with some relief that I reached the bothy and downed tools. After removing my boots and socks and regaining consciousness after being knocked cold by the stench, I set about some running repairs to the blister on one of my right toes, before pulling a chair outside the door and getting a leisurely lunch on the go.

The kids were a couple of hours behind me and there was still no sign of my colleague and friend Robin, who was acting as their assessor for this one. After a couple of meetings with them "in the field" over the last two days, he had arranged to see them at their campsite near the bothy this afternoon/evening. When I had bumped into him the previous day near Geldie Lodge (after he had met the kids and before he biked it back to his car at Linn of Dee and returned home for the night), I had made a request for some doughnuts to be brought in to the bothy the next day. By 4 o'clock, having been loitering around the bothy for some 3 or 4 hours in anticipation of the doughnuts and debating whether to go for Mullach or just lounge around and do more crosswords, there was still no sign of Robin or the doughnuts so I set off for the big track up the Munro. Again I traveled light, just as I had the previous day on the Devil's Point and Monadh Mor - map, compass, phone and camera.

Having had a scout around and seen no sign of the path shown on my OS sheet heading from behind the bothy onto the Druim nam Bo ridge, I opted to go up the track from near Carnachuin and back down via Druim nam Bo. I did find the aforementioned path on descent but it simply disappeared into a sea of ferns, bracken and trees for the final section back into the glen.

Other than that, there was not a great deal of note to report. A fine way to spend the better part of 3 hours waiting for doughnuts which had finally arrived by the time I returned - as well as millionaires shortbread! :clap: :clap: 8) 8)

IMG_1077.JPG
Welcome to Ruigh Aiteachain

IMG_1079.JPG
Bothy from the log pile

IMG_1075.JPG
The entrance room

IMG_1073.JPG
The living room with stove and that door

IMG_1081.JPG
The lav

IMG_1076.JPG
Wall decoration

IMG_1082.JPG
Back to the bothy from the track towards Carnachuin

IMG_1086.JPG
Glen Feshie

IMG_1088.JPG
Meall nan Sleac

IMG_1089.JPG
Across Coire Garbhlach to Meall Dubhag

IMG_1092.JPG
Yet another big slab of leftover snow

IMG_1093.JPG
Across the Moine Mhor from the summit of Mullach Clach a'Bhlair

IMG_1097.JPG
Summit selfie

IMG_1099.JPG
Down the Druim nam Bo ridge

IMG_1103.JPG
Mullach from the Druim nam Bo high point

IMG_1104.JPG
Lochan nam Bo

IMG_1105.JPG
Up Glen Feshie from the lochan

IMG_1106.JPG
Down Glen Feshie

IMG_1108.JPG
Into the trees

IMG_1109.JPG
Hellish descent

IMG_1117.JPG
A chilly June night needed the fire on

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Mullach Clach a'Bhlair - fueled by the promise of doughn

Postby jepsonscotland » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Nice one. :wink:
Looking forward to these later this month with Martin (FF).
Great photos as always. :clap:
What a posh loo! :lol: :lol:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Aye to my good lady onto this via the Gleann looks a s math sin bothy , is it for use of everyone ?
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Good to see what DoE assessors get up to in their time off :lol: :lol:

Interesting route and enjoyed the photos!
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Aye, you do make good use of your time, Graeme. Didn't realise that that bothy had a luxury wc in it - must visit next time I'm passing. Doughnuts sounded good - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bod » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Nice one Graeme, good effort and well done getting the kids out there :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Nice report, great area, lovely bothy and outbuilding with a near fresh water supply! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Nice one Graeme :clap:
That is Friday's target along with Sgor Gaoith for me, Chris & a late addition Andy :lol:

Thanks for posting & see you on Friday :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:57 pm

Where is the picture of the donuts? Great-looking bothy - good that you got to stay in it!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland