walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise from Glencoe Ski Centre

Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise from Glencoe Ski Centre

Postby U059361 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:06 am

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 09/07/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1250m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Followed pretty much the route as suggested here on WH, what I did do differently was walk up the track to the cafe at the bottom of the second ski lift and contoured round and up onto the ridge up Meall a'Bhuiridh thus avoiding any boggy bits completely. I followed a faint track up towards some crags that kept me out of the boulder field for as long as possible. After that it is pretty much boulders all the way to Creise.
ImageCreise from Meall a'Bhuiridh ascent by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageMeall a'Bhuiridh top to Rannoch Moor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageClach Leathad and Coire an Easain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I did get a fright when I looked over Coire an Easain to Clach Leathad from the top of Meall a'Bhuiridh thinking what a drop :shock: and went over to check out the bealach to Creise. It looked steep on the other side and it was not possible to see what it was like on this side too well either. However, kept the faith with the website description, it looks harder than it is I kept telling myself. :wink:
ImageCreise from Meall a'Bhuiridh by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Sure enough once into the drop it was fairly easy to work your way down all the rock and boulders. Now the view all around was fantastic, what a difference from the ski centre view. It was now rock and scree everywhere.
ImageMeall a'Bhuiridh and Creise from bealach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageClach Leathad and crags from bealach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The climb up had me pulling myself up, but Ben Vane had worse moments and I soon made the ridge. I went to Creise first and continued along the ridge to get a view down into Glencoe.
ImageMeall a'Bhuiridh from Creise by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSob a'Ghlais Choire from end of Creise ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Creise was in cloud, so walked back and over to Clach Leathad where the sun came out to make a perfect lunch stop. :D
ImageMeall a'Bhuiridh, Coire an Easain and Clach Leathad from by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageSron nam Forsair from Clach Leathad by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCreise and ridge from Clach Leathad by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great views all round while I munched. Another rocky road back to the bealach and the wee cairn marking the drop down.
ImageHandy cairn marks descent to bealach from Creise by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I knew what to expect this time so didn't hesitate and again using my hands, eased myself back down. The climb back up the Meall was easier than the climb up Creise. Walked along the Meall ridge past the ski lift for view across Rannoch Moor then walked back and down the boulder field again. This time at the bottom, I continued onto the hill that sits over the ski centre to get a better view of both munros together and to avoid the boggy bit again.
ImageMeall a'Bhuiridh and Creise from hill above Glencoe Ski Centre by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There is a clear path from here back to the top of the chairlift with a footbridge over the burn. It was hot work going down the chairlift path and had to be careful with all the scree lying over it. Back at the car, all the water gone, bought ice cream and ate it in the perfect sunshine. What a day, the weather was so good, took my time going round and took loads of photos, most of which were panoramas. :D
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Meall a'Bhuiridh and Creise from Glencoe Ski Centre

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Some great photos there :clap: Thanks for posting. Really useful as planning these 2 soon :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby falling monkey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:24 pm

Great report and photos even though it brings back some bad memories from last sept when I fell at end of the day 200m from car, snapped ligaments and damaged tendons equalled 2 months off work and 7 months out of the hills, had a great day beforehand with thick mist until I climbed above it had spectacular inversion for most of the day until I reached creise where it turned back into thick cloud luckily I had been taking waypoints on gps and was able to make my way back to ridge no problem think I may have to redo these 2 on a day like yours.
falling monkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:126   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:22 pm

SAVAGEALICE wrote:Some great photos there :clap: Thanks for posting. Really useful as planning these 2 soon :D

Ditto. Well done. :clap:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland