walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hee

Ben Hee

Postby rob munbett » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Hee

Date walked: 11/07/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove round to West Merkland from the Crask Inn and parked just over the bridge on the right hand side. Through a locked gate, a good estate road heads NE. In about one and a half kilometres, a stalkers path leads up beside the Allt Coir' a Chruiteir.
P1020318.JPG
The view down the Allt Coir' a Chruiteir to the estate road in the glen
I have to say, though, that this track is not in good condition and there were quite a few sections which had fallen away into the river, leaving some quite awkward sections to negotiate.
P1020319.JPG
Looking up the Allt Coir' a Chruiteir to Ben Hee
The weather had by now deteriorated and I was being soaked in a continuous heavy downpour and visibility was very poor. I was aiming for the 630m bealach between Ben Hee and Meallan Liath Mor and from the end of the track, where there was a shelter cairn, I made a steady rising traverse to end on this wide col marked by a cairn, After a brief pause, I headed off up the stony and bouldery SW shoulder to reach the trig and shelter cairn perched on the cliffs above the eastern corrie.
P1020325.JPG
The stony SW shoulder of Ben Hee from the col
Here, it was cold enough for all my spare clothing, including hat and gloves. Just then, the rain stopped for a while and the clouds parted to allow me just a brief glimpse of the surrounding hills and my route down.
P1020324.JPG
Standing at the trig looking along the summit ridge to a cairn
I returned quickly to the bealach and the cairn and followed a line of small cairns back to the start of the stalkers path. This took a lower line than my line of ascent and was much boggier! By now the track was very wet and slippery and it was a relief to get back to the estate road in the glen for a more relaxing walk out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland