walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Tulaichean & Carn an Righ with Beinn Lutharn Mhor Added

Glas Tulaichean & Carn an Righ with Beinn Lutharn Mhor Added

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Route description: Glas Tulaichean & Càrn an Rìgh, Glenshee

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Càrn an Rìgh, Glas Tulaichean

Date walked: 12/07/2014

Time taken: 7.7 hours

Distance: 26.9 km

Ascent: 1438m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I can't really explain why I've never climbed these hills. I'm in double figures for most of the Glenshee hills (close to home) and on numerous occasions I've driven past the Spittal of Glenshee and not given them a second thought.

Recently, I've read a few reports and specifically Beaner001 who added Beinn Lutharn Mhor on to the traditional two from Dalmunzie Hotel so with that thought in my head I was off up the road. As usual I was looking for a reasonably early start and it was foggy until I got to about 4 miles from SofG when all of a sudden I broke through the mist in to bright sunshine and blue skies - hopefully a good day to be had.

Parked at the back of Dalmunzie Hotel and headed for reception to pay my parking fee (£2.50). One car was already parked up so looked like there would be somebody ahead of me.

From the off it was warm warm warm, no breeze at all.

The first 100 yards is up the tarmac road that leads to Glenlochsie Farm and there is a well signed gate in to a field on the left (if heading up Glen Lochsie). On the other side of the gate there was a herd of cows, most were lying down (it's about to rain, it has rained or were they just warm?). As usual for me they were congregated close to the gate and directly in my line. Once I was in the field I was chatting to them all about where I was going and what a good day it was but to be honest they didn't seem that interested (maybe everybody chats to them about the same thing so the topic just bores them). I kept tight in to the fence heading uphill towards the farm until I had cleared the cows and then headed in towards the middle of the field. It was at this point I noticed one of the herd was a fair bit bigger than the others and he was keeping a close eye on me but he must have been feeling the heat and left me to it.

1.jpg
Looking up Gleann Taitneach from the start

It's a nice easy start, fairly flat and easy walking with the 1st decision being whether to cross the river and follow the 4x4 track up the left hand side of the burn or stick to the right and follow the disused railway line. I chose the latter and followed a stalker's track close to the burn before heading up through the grass and heather to link up with the obvious track 100 yards above the burn. It's an easy climb up to the railway track but in the heat with no breeze I was already warm. A really nice walk along the track with only a couple of damp patches (looks like it could be tricky in wet weather but at the moment no problem at all).

2.jpg
Disused railway track

3.jpg
Glenlochsie Lodge in sight

It didn't take very long to reach Glenlochsie Lodge which marks the end of the gentle easy walking and the start of the climb.

4.jpg
Lots of potential, may need some upgrading

5.jpg
Waterfall beside the lodge

6.jpg
Looking back (code for taking a break before the uphill slog)

And so to the 1st climb of the day, steep on a good 4x4 track, warm, no breeze, hard work.

As I climbed I could so a lone walker in the distance so this would be the owner of the car in the car park back at Dalmunzie. With about half a mile to the summit I caught up with him, he had a thick warm waterproof jacket on that would be too warm for me in the winter :shock: :shock: :shock: We walked together for 5 minutes chatting about the day ahead then he needed to stop to take his jacket of and it was time for me to head off on my own again. On reaching a small cairn it's a quick right turn and two minutes later I was on the summit. It's a big broad hill and so the views from the top are limited and after 5 minutes I was off.

7.jpg
Glas Tulaichean summit

8.jpg
Looking down on Loch nan Eun

Heading towards Carn an Righ I initially took too straight a line and the drop down off Glas Tulichean was a bit steep. I wasn't far off the correct route so a quick change and I had a decent line over to the obvious track at the base of Mam nan Carn. In the heat the rough walking (even the downhill bit) was tiring and I was glad to reach the path.

9.jpg
Heading off Glas Tulaichean and looking over to Carn an Righ

10.jpg
Carn an Righ from the track under Man nan Carn

The first part of the climb up Carn an Righ was fairly steep but as it eased off there was an easy boulder field to cross and then an easy final climb to the summit. The views from here seem better than from Glas Tulaichean and it just feels you are completely surrounded by hills for miles and miles (probably because you are).

11.jpg
Carn an Righ summit

12.jpg
Beinn lutharn Mhor - so close you could stretch out and touch it

13.jpg
Beinn A'Ghlo zoomed

14.jpg
Cairngorms zoomed

15.jpg
Carn an Righ summit with Beinn a Ghlo in the background

Heading off Carn an Righ it's time to decide whether to head along the track towards Loch nan Eun or do a bit more climbing and take on Beinn lutharn Mhor.

16.jpg
What would you do?

I checked my watch and realised I had only been out for 3.5 hours so had loads of time to include my 3rd hill of the day. I was aware of the track contouring round the side of Mam nan Carn which would leave a grassy climb up to the saddle between Mam nan Carn and Beinn lutharn Mhor but I preferred the option of climbing straight up Mam nan Carn before contouring round to take in what looked like a fairly easy climb to the summit of my 3rd Munro. The climb up Mam nan Carn was as steep as it looked but it didn't last for long and it didn't take long before the gradient eased and my final target for the day was in view. Had a chat for 10 minutes with someone doing my route in reverse then another walker appeared in front of me as I reached the path up to the summit of Beinn lutharn Mhor. After a brief chat whist he rummaged about in his rucksack we kept each other company up to the summit and then back down again before he headed off towards Carn an Righ.

17.jpg
Beinn lutharn Mhor summit

Once I had retraced my steps down the path from the summit I chose a route to take me down to Loch nan Eun avoiding the crags and was quickly down at the loch side.

18.jpg
Loch nan Eun - beautiful spot and a bit envious of whoever was camping by the shore

After the loch it was just a case of crossing the outflow burn and taking the track down in to Gleann Taitneach. The stalker's path is initially fairly steep and rough but really enjoyable if slow going.

19.jpg
Looking down Gleann Taitneach - still a long way to go

20.jpg
Allt Easgaidh

21.jpg
and again

22.jpg
Looking down Gleann Taitneach

23.jpg
and again

After a couple of water stops it seemed to take forever to reach the 4x4 track which would allow me to increase my pace. All I had to do now was watch out for the bridge to cross the river and head back to the hotel.

24.jpg
Looking down towards Dalmunzie from the bridge

Once over the river there is an easy track to follow through the field and up to the gate which is opposite the gate to Glen Lochsie at the start of the walk.

25.jpg
Looking back up Gleann Taitneach with the clouds rolling in

A really good day and now that I've climbed these hills I've no idea why I ignored them for so long. I took about 7hrs 40 mins to complete and unusually I was stopped for about 1 hr 20 mins - only met three people all day but they were all chatty!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Glas Tulaichean & Carn an Righ with Beinn Lutharn Mhor A

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:21 pm

Nice report Gordie12, at that pace you could have picked up Carn Bhac too :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:44 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Nice report Gordie12, at that pace you could have picked up Carn Bhac too :D :D

Not sure the legs would have approved of that idea plus I fancy the walk in down Glen Ey so I can just do it as a single Munro day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Great stuff Geordie, I guess I should have stayed East Coast, much clearer skies! I was up Glen Roy, thick clag, and stayed low level after an eaten alive couple of Graham's on the South side of Loch Laggan. Your photos have wetted my appetite to do this and also brought back fond memories of a wild camp with the Grandson at Loch nan Eun.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Nice report Gordie, looks like you got nice weather and your great pics do these hills justice as the views are stunning into Perthshire and the Gorms. We'll done :clap:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby guspattullo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:18 pm

Nice report, but was wondering about the date walked. We were up Beinn Iutharn Mhor yesterday and the weather was nowhere as nice as in your photos. :shock:
guspattullo
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:177
Fionas:10   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:15

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm

guspattullo wrote:Nice report, but was wondering about the date walked. We were up Beinn Iutharn Mhor yesterday and the weather was nowhere as nice as in your photos. :shock:

Oops, it was Friday, not yesterday :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:31 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Nice report Gordie, looks like you got nice weather and your great pics do these hills justice as the views are stunning into Perthshire and the Gorms. We'll done :clap:

Hi Beaner001 - it was reading your report that reminded me about these hills so thanks. Impressive speed you and the dogs covered these 3 in.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:34 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Great stuff Geordie, I guess I should have stayed East Coast, much clearer skies! I was up Glen Roy, thick clag, and stayed low level after an eaten alive couple of Graham's on the South side of Loch Laggan. Your photos have wetted my appetite to do this and also brought back fond memories of a wild camp with the Grandson at Loch nan Eun.

Hi Rod - got my dates wrong, it was Friday. Assume your doing a report on your Grahams.

Must admit, Loch Nan Eun looks like a great wild camp spot if the weather is decent.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Now that explains the blue sky, pretty warm on Friday, bet you filled your fask a few times! I emptied my 2L platypus on the Two Grahams :lol: , (report to follow soon) Any Cleggs? or flies.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:54 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Now that explains the blue sky, pretty warm on Friday, bet you filled your fask a few times! I emptied my 2L platypus on the Two Grahams :lol: , (report to follow soon) Any Cleggs? or flies.

I managed to avoid starting to drink my juice until half way to the 2nd top, also stopped off at the odd burn but they are fairly low at the moment so was a bit more careful.

The day was a surprise, midge and cleg free with just loads of flies at the car park at the hotel at the end (I'll take flies any day :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Great report, well done. :clap:
I was going to do these yesterday, but chose Lochnagar instead.
Clag city!! What a difference a day makes! :roll:
So now I have a great guide to do them soon. Thanks. :wink:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:54 pm

jepsonscotland wrote:Great report, well done. :clap:
I was going to do these yesterday, but chose Lochnagar instead.
Clag city!! What a difference a day makes! :roll:
So now I have a great guide to do them soon. Thanks. :wink:
Chris

Hope you get a good day for them Chris - not sure why it took me over 20 years to do them when I lived in Blairgowrie for 10 years before moving over to near Forfar.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01 pm

You certainly picked a good day for this walk ! Would agree on Loch nan Eun - had my first ever wild camp on the shore close to the Allt Easgaidh outlet a few years back - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:43 am

Oh Gordie, you lucky *** :wink: Wish we had such conditions on these... I remember standing by the trigpoint on GT, rain pouring on my head :lol: :lol:

Due to work we are now restricted only to weekends. The whole week was hot and blue sky everywhere and then on Saturday - bang! - rain and cloud. We managed to squeeze one Munro out of Sunday. That's Scottish weather for you...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland