walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An encounter with two stately deer on Lochnagar

An encounter with two stately deer on Lochnagar

Postby railton22 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 09/07/2014

Time taken: 8.44 hours

Distance: 29.3 km

Ascent: 1340m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We'd waited a couple of years and today the great weather gave us the kick up the backside we needed to take on the five White Mounth Munros.

To date four Munros in one go have been our limit.

Started out from the Spittal of Muick on the sunniest of sunny days and our strange tan patterns can testify to the fabulous weather.
DSC01297Glen Muicksm.jpg
Car park at Spittal of Glen Muick. A popular day for walking with lots of cars already parked up.

Other than Cairn Gorm, Lochnagar was the most popular Cairngorm Munro that we've walked. Within no time the walkers had thinned out considerably leaving our little group pretty much with the long approach path to ourselves
DSC01305lochnagarsm.jpg
Lochnagar as viewed from Glen Muick....a looooong way to go yet!

The sun burned down relentlessly but no complaints from us as the strong northerly wind kept the temperature almost comfortable.
DSC01312lochnagarsm.jpg
A breather break cunningly disguised as a photo stop!

DSC01316lochnagarsm.jpg
About to ford (well walk through, really) the Allt na Guibhsaich

We passed several resting walkers on our ascent and one wag made a pithy comment on how we "had our Sherpa at the back", referring to my laden down pack-mule Hubs whilst Alice and I struggled with the CONSIDERABLE weight of the map bag and my little camera bag.

A little later we got overtaken by a delightfully stumpy little Jack Russell who rapidly got distracted by the grouse and hurtled off the path whilst pointedly ignoring the recall whistles from his owner.
DSC01331lochnagarsm.jpg
Alice pauses for a well earned break just past the sobering memorial to fallen climber, Bill Stuart

Despite the sun it was incredibly blowy up on the shoulders of Lochnagar. I went up to two layers; the Hubs stayed at one and Alice went to three.
DSC01330lochnagarsm.jpg
The dramatic northern corrie comes into view

Battling through the wind, which kept the temperature comfortable for walking, we made it to the summit cairn on Lochnagar.
DSC01344lochnagarsm.jpg
Approaching the summit cairn on Cac Carn Mor (the "shitty little hill"). An unfair description we felt

DSC01348lochnagarsm.jpg
Hubs and Alice on Cac Carn Mor

DSC01353lochnagarsm.jpg
Up in the clouds on my "Heinz" Munro.
Predictably the views were spectacular and Morven in Sutherland could be clearly seen 86miles away.
DSC01359lochanagerbenrinnessm.jpg
Looking at our wedge shaped local Ben, Ben Rinnes and further still the rounded cone of Sutherland's Morven 86miles away from the dizzy heights of Lochnagar
Could also appreciate how far east lonely Mount Keen is.
DSC01364lochnagarsm alice.jpg
Alice enjoying her first Munro in just under a year (only four more to go!!)

Descending Lochnagar (our 57th or "Heinz" Munro) we came across two incredibly bold and stately looking deer resplendent in full "Monarch of the Glen" antlers.
DSC01383Carn a'Choire Bhoidheachdeersm.jpg
A pleasant surprise on the way to Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach
Cue a frenzied camera stop from me.
DSC01408Carn a'Choire Bhoidheachdeersm.jpg
Chuffed to bits to come across these two incredibly bold deer

The 2nd Munro of the day; Carn a' Choire Bhoidheach was easy peasy
DSC01412Carn a'Choire Bhoidheachsm.jpg
Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach summit cairn...a what a nice gentle Munro this one was!
and we all agreed that this one was a great big teddy bear of a mountain.
DSC01416Carn a'Choire Bhoidheachsm.jpg
Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach summit cairn.

Alice spotted a rock which looked a lot like Disney's Lion King "Pride Rock"
DSC01419Carn a'Choire Bhoidheachsm.jpg
When your daughter points out a rock shaped like "Lion King's" Pride Rock, what else can you do but play at Simba. Roooooaaaarrr!!!

Playtime over it's onwards to Munro no 3, Carn an t-Sagairt Mor.
DSC01422Carn an t-Sagairt Morsm.jpg
A helping hand on the way to Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

Munro no 3; Carn an t-Sagairt Mor (the hill of the big priest). Oh how Alice and I laughed about that one, given that we were walking with our very own Rev!!
DSC01424Carn an t-Sagairt Morsm.jpg
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor aka The Hill of the Big priest. Here's my very own not-so-big Reverend Hubs and Alice enjoying the views from the summit cairn.
DSC01430Carn an t-Sagairt Morsm.jpg
Larking around on Carn an t-Sagairt Mor

Onto Munro no 4: Cairn Bannoch and given that the weather was super sunny we could easily spot the rocky summit and strike out in the correct direction. Must say can easily see how you could go wrong around here in bad weather. The crown of Cairn Bannoch was covered in lots of lovely shin-breakers but fortunately for Team Railton- no casualties.
DSC01440Cairn Bannoch sm.jpg
Cairn Bannoch summit cairn. No 60 for me and the Hubs
DSC01442Cairn Bannoch sm.jpg
Cairn Bannoch for my Rev Hubs and Alice

The final and 5th Munro: Broad Cairn was again covered with sizeable shin-splitters
DSC01458broadcairnsm.jpg
Delightful shin splitters on Broad Cairn which was very similar to Cairn Bannoch
and the descent was quite a challenge for tired legs. However apart from a wussy calf-graze for me, we all made it off the rocks safely.
DSC01451broadcairnsm.jpg
Enough energy for a last jump of the day on Munro No 5, Broad Cairn........downhill all the way from here (in every sense)
DSC01444broadcairnsm.jpg
Alice hasn't hill walked since August 2013 due to completing her final year at Uni. Here she is with her Dad on her 5th Munro of the day and her 40th to date. Really proud of our girl

The long return (the path looked like it was going on for ever prompting me to questions the Hubs several times re: the return route) was not as bad as we'd feared it was going to be. The spectacular views back up towards the horseshoe of five mountains helped as did the very pretty views out over Loch Muick.
DSC01482lochmuicksm.jpg
Beautiful Loch Muick on the descent. Could've happily had a swim in here :)

Eventually caught up with all the "Lock Muick Circuiters" lower down looking rather pristine. Hoped that our sweaty, bedraggled appearance spoke of our epic journey and they didn't mistake us for a group of wimpy numpties. Really aching as I write this but what a day! Worth every ache.....and yes I'd do it again.
Completion of these five Munros now make a rather nice blue patch on our Munro map.
Walked by Sarah (57-61), David (57-61) and Alice ( 36-40)
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

Re: An encounter with two stately deer on Lochnagar

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:51 pm

Congratulations! That's quite a major outing on a hot day. Did you manage to find water refills along the way? Your tally is really creeping up now.

Really did love your deer photos. Round these parts they are (rightly) terrified of humans and you see a blur a mile away running for their lives!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: An encounter with two stately deer on Lochnagar

Postby railton22 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:47 am

[quote="AnnieMacD"] Did you manage to find water refills along the way?

Thanks Annie. The water (which was plentiful) was carried by David (aka our Sherpa!). Alice got the map bag, I'm in charge of camera equipment and poor David has the rest. It was really hot but the strong winds kept the heat at bay.

As for the deer, they were so bold. Weren't bothered by us in the least. I took about 40 or so piccies before they casually sauntered off. They were cool deer 8) 8) and it was a great experience to get so close to them :D
railton22
Mountaineer

Munros:186   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland