walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag

Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby U059361 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 15/07/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the best way to get the feel of Glencoe. The path is good and the 'staircase' made gaining height easy all the way up to the bealach. Which top to do first? left is Stob Coire Raineach which is just a continuation of the climb or right for Stob Dubh and a ridge walk too. The weather was still making up its mind so I decided to claim the nearest top while there was a view. So left it was. Kept to the east path as the western one looked more of a scree chute.
An hour to get to top from the car park. Had a good look round the top, including looking back to the car park to see if the car was still there :wink:
ImageStob Coire Raineach top view over Glencoe by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The view of the next top and the ridge was clear and the weather looked to be brightening up.
ImageStob Dubh From Stob Coire Raineach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
By midday was climbing up the last part of ridge to top of Stob Dubh. The sun came out to warm me up and make the perfect lunch stop.
ImageStob Dubh ridge back to Stob Coire Raineach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great view all round from here. Walked down the ridge a bit to get clearer view down into Glen Etive.
ImageLoch Etive and Beinn Maol Chaluim by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There was a path and it went further down but didn't go any further. Back up for lunch at top and view of the big shepherd.
ImageTops and Buachaille Etive Mor by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Was straightforward heading back down, the 'staircase' was taken sideways to dampen the effect on the knees. The rocks making up the steps were varied and good examples of the cataclysmic volcanic activity http://www.glencoe-nts.org.uk/Geology-g.asp that took place here if you pay attention to what you are stepping on. Made me take my time anyway. Back at the car by 2pm. Aw naw, I had time to do the shopping.
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Great photos - glad you got some sunshine for lunch. The views look spectacular.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland