walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When is a Corbett not a Corbett?

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag an Dail Bheag

Date walked: 12/01/2014

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 20.8 km

Ascent: 730m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On 9th October 2013, Carn Liath (Corbett) and neighbouring Creag na Dail Bheag (Corbett Top) were surveyed using accurate GPS. Creag na Dail Bheag was found to be circa 1.5m higher than Carn Liath.

Following the survey, Creag na Dail Bheag was correctly promoted to be the Marilyn and Carn Liath was demoted.

Creag na Dail Bheag (863m) should also have been promoted to be the Corbett summit and Carn Liath (861.5m) should have been demoted to Corbett Top. However, as the Scottish Mountaineering Club “own” the Corbett list, we continue to await their deliberations – and may do for some time!

I first ascended Carn Liath in June 2000. However, in June 2000 I did not visit Creag na Dail Bheag :roll:.

I therefore set out today to ascend both Carn Liath and Creag na Dail Bheag such that a) I can claim to have ascended the Marilyn and b) will still have completed all the Corbetts once the SMC eventually proclaim the change.

I didn’t have a pre-determined route today. I made it up as I went along.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

On arrival at the Keiloch car park, I paid the £2.50 parking charge and got suited and booted. The early morning sky was beautiful.

Nice morning sky at Keiloch car park:

From Keiloch, I made my way along Lady Carr’s Drive towards Invercauld House. On reaching the track junction signposted ‘Public Footpath to Tomintoul via Loch Builg and Inchrory’ I took the path towards Tomintoul.

Ascending the track through the forest North of Invercauld House:

As I made my way along the track I could see that Beinn a’Bhuird was plastered in snow, as was Lochnagar looking back. However, there was minimal snow at Corbett height.

Looking West from within the forest:

After walking circa 2.5km through the forest, I reached the main track leading towards Carn Liath and Culardoch. I last walked this track in 2002. While this track is great for walking and cycling it doesn’t provide great views of surrounding hills apart from the view back towards Lochnagar.

On the main track towards Carn Liath, Culardoch and onto Loch Builg:

Carn Liath:

Looking back towards Lochnagar and the White Mounth hills:

Meikle Pap and Lochnagar (zoom):

On reaching a high-point on the path, I followed a faint track towards the base of Carn Liath and then made my way up through the heather and snow.

I expected the snow today to be either soft or slushy. I was wrong. All the snow encountered today was perfect, crisp névé.

Ascending slopes of Carn Liath:

Culardoch from slopes of Carn Liath:

Despite the snow being hard and crisp my axe and crampons remained in my rucksack throughout the day. No steep ground was encountered.

Ascending Carn Liath:

The view from the summit of Carn Liath was fairly good.

View from the summit cairn of Carn Liath:

From the summit of Carn Liath, I continued South for several hundred metres to visit two further cairns.

View from the cairn a few hundred metres South of the summit of Carn Liath:

View from cairn looking down towards Braemar:

The Cairnwell (zoom):

From the southerly viewpoint cairns, I returned to the summit of Carn Liath and then made my way across to the main target of the day, Creag na Dail Bheag.

Creag na Dail Bheag from the col:

En-route to Creag na Dail Bheag, I visited several potential high-points.

At the summit of Creag na Dail Bheag:

Creag na Dail Bheag provides great views of the huge expanse of Ben Avon. Nearby Creag na Dail Mhor is a Munro Top of Ben Avon.

Ben Avon panorama from the summit of Creag na Dail Bheag:

A distant snowy Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain (Beinn a' Ghlo) (zoom):

View from Creag na Dail Bheag:

At Creag na Dail Bheag, I decided to descend via the wide ridge out to Meall Glasail Beag instead of returning back via the same route. The descent was very pleasant down perfect névé, short heather and frozen moss.

View during descent from Creag na Dail Bheag:

Beinn a’Bhuird during descent (zoom):

View from summit of Meall Glasail Beag:

From Meall Glasail Mor, I picked out a line descending to the Gleann an t-Slugain track. On reaching the Gleann an t-Slugain track I walked out to Keiloch via Altdourie and Invercauld.

Altdourie:

An enjoyable day out thanks to list tampering :D.
Last edited by foggieclimber on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
foggieclimber

Re: When is a Corbett not a Corbett?

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:26 pm

Great report foggieclimber :D

must remember to do the two summits when we do it :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Nice report! I hadn't heard about this resurvey, so thanks for the info: it's good to see almost all of the "twin" summits getting resolved by accurate surveys these days....

foggieclimber wrote:A snowy Southern Cairngorms hill, possibly Beinn Dearg? (zoom):

It's Braigh Coire Chruinn-bhalgain on Beinn a' Ghlo (Carn nan Gobhar is in the cloud on the left).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Thanks, have amended photo caption.
foggieclimber

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Thankfully i visited both summits when i did these two as the SMC book quoted " recommended for the prudent hillwalker" . Still don't know why they have to keep measuring them all though, can they not just leave them as they are :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Ouch, we climbed Carn Liath (and Culardoch) about a month before the survey. Wish I had waited a few weeks to know that the summit moved to another top :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lovely photos, by the way :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm

Good report with some humour , don't know much about the Corbett list "owners" but aye sound like an orra bunch :wink:

Good photos to , I enjoy your reports on an area I am not over familiar with ..yet :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby gaffr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 am

When there isn't a drop, on all sides, of 150 metres? :)
Must admit I quite enjoyed my trip on the tops in this area. But is not the existence of any Corbett here kind-of compromised by this information? To have two named summits, as it is here, with a gap of what maybe 50 mtrs. Or is it different if one of the named tops is a mere spot height?
I didn't know that Corbetts could have a Corbett top? I only recently found out, in this house of mountain knowledge, that a Munro could have a Corbett top attached to its bulk. :lol:
With the classification of the Munros there seems to have been quite a bit of poetic licence with the conditions of acceptance, right from early years, into the big league although in recent times there has been a fair bit of adjustment 'in and out'. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby spindrift » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:35 pm

A 1.5 metre height difference between Carn Liath and Creag na Dail Bheag eh?

I have a cunning plan. If everyone climbing Carn Liath added a few stones to the summit cairn we could make up the 1.5 metres fairly quickly. Carn Liath would stay as a Corbett and present claimants of its blue balloon could retain it. Lastly, we would not have await the official pronouncement from the SMC.

I mean, if people can try to increase the height of Tinto to surmount it's Donald neighbour, Culter Fell..........

I will now remove tongue from cheek.
spindrift
Hill Bagger

Munros:282   Corbetts:62
Fionas:23   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:4   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland