walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bheithir

Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby JimboJim » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 29/05/2014

Time taken: 5.9 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1326m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another solo, or nearly, to add to the growing list. Used to always think I'd need someone who 'knows what they're doing,' with me, but confidence must be improving, though favourable forecast always helps. Had seen a few good reports on these hills and fancied the views. What I didn't realise was the tough start up from Ballachulish! Did I say tough? Nay, brutal - for me!
Left the car park about 9 a.m. and soon made it over gate by the school, gradually taking my eyes off what I thought was the first Munro, focussing on what looked like a steep hike up to join a clear path, heading for Beinn Bhan. It sure is steep and just a case of picking your own route up, then climbing the fence and on upwards, getting ever more desperate to meet this path. At last! Temptation may be to follow it left, but go right, to make the ascent, which remains hard going, but just that bit more bareable by being on track. Fortunately, once the ridge has been reached, things level off for a while, about 600m height and one is able to enjoy a great panaroma of views, while catching one's breath.
BaB Nikon 004_1239_800_1024_661.JPG
Sgorr Dhearg from Beinn Bhan.
BaB Nikon 001_1198_800.JPG
Ballachulish Bridge from Beinn Bhan.
BaB Nikon 002_1067_800.JPG
And, of course, the Pap.

The next stage does become more stony, crossing some loose scree, with a variety of paths, as it steadily rises and curves southward, onto the next ridge, to what I had assumed was the summit. 'Not bad, 2 hours, I thought and that must be Sgorr Dhonuill, just up that fine looking ridge. Seems kind of close. Wonder if I'm right?' Quick check of map. Wrong! Of course I was only at the top of Sgorr Bhan. Eejit! Anyway, it is still a handsome spot and great place to enjoy more views and anticipate the fine ridge ahead. So, off once more and a fairly easy and enjoyable hike to Sgorr Dhearg, at 1024m.
BaB Fuji 002_1067_800.JPG
The fine looking, pointy, Sgorr a'Choise, with Sgurr na h-Ulaidh and Glencoe hills behind.
BaB Nikon 006_1113_800.JPG
Didn't know it at the time, but this was 'Richard,' heading up the ridge to Sgorr Dhearg. (If you can spot him?)
BaB Nikon 011_1067_800.JPG
Ridge over to Sgorr Dhonuill.

Some more photo's and then off down to the adjoining bealach, over more stony, steep descent. It was there I caught up with Richard, a young man from the east, enjoying his hike, too. We got chatting and enjoyed the company for the remainder of the walk. Nice having somone around, especially for that wee bit of exposed scramble refered to, as one nears the summit of Sgorr Dhonuill, 1001m, in three and a quarter hours. Unfortunately, the gathering haze didn't help with photo's of the lovely views out to the west, but that's the way it goes.
BaB Nikon 019_1067_800.JPG
On top of Sgorr Dhonuill, looking back to 1st Munro.

Again, it's just that wee bit tricky heading back down to the bealach, but not too much bother in good conditions. The route down Gleann a' Chaolais, is a bit boggy here and there and as stated, one should cross to the right of the fence nearing the trees, where one picks up a path through the forest. We saw a couple heading down the line of the burn and imagined they might be there for a while. Or, perhaps there was other things on their mind?
BaB Nikon 022_1108_800.JPG
Looking back up to the bealach and Sgorr Dhonuill.

There's quite a few different forest roads and tracks, here and there, but between us we managed to get directly back to Ballachulish, in just under the 6 hours. Tired, but well satisfied with a great hike and some great views, despite the haze.
BaB Nikon 030_1068_800.JPG
Looking back - Sgorr Bhan, not Sgorr Dhearg!
Attachments
BaB Nikon 027_1094_800.JPG
Loch Leven.
BaB Nikon 026_1068_800.JPG
BaB Nikon 023_1075_800.JPG
Lower down.
BaB Nikon 010_1106_800.JPG
Lismore in the haze.
BaB Nikon 009_1195_800.JPG
Richard on first summit.
BaB Nikon 008_1080_800.JPG
Ballachulish.
BaB Nikon 007_1194_800.JPG
Richard heading for Sgorr Dhearg.
BaB Fuji 007_1098_800.JPG
Over the cornice- and down!
BaB Nikon 004_1239_800_1024_661.JPG
A closer look. Can see why it is callled 'red.'
BaB Nikon 003_1068_800.JPG
Glencoe.
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn a'Bheithir

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:13 pm

Good effort

I agree on that initial climb up to the path. If it's any help (and it probably won't be), but I found it less steep second time round :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby JimboJim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:34 pm

Thank you, Peter. Maybe not too bad for a middle ager? But, I guess it's all relative and I'm relatively unfit! Don't know how you could manage two laps! :wink:
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Looks pretty steep but worth it for the views back down. Particularly like the photos of Ballachulish - looks like a toy town!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland