walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No Goats, but what a day !

No Goats, but what a day !

Postby tall-story » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:09 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn, Caisteal Abhail, Cìr Mhòr, Goat Fell

Date walked: 15/07/2014

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 27 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This trip has been on my mind for a long time since reading a report from MountainThyme and boy was it worth waiting for :D. Bearing in mind I had never been on a ferry before this meant a bit of planning, not just the usual of getting up early and driving but all the fuss of being on time for ferries on and off the island :crazy:
So my day started at 4am when the alarm woke me from a very shallow sleep, because of all my worry of the weather, the drive, the ferry and the hills I was like a wee kid, all excited about my day :) So the usual fuss first thing of sorting sarnies, breakfast, filling the rucksack and also sorting food for wee Jura`s day (she is the new pup who is a bit young for the hills) and also a note for my dog walker. Thunder birds are Go
1-The Arran 4 (1).JPG
at just after 5am and what a morning it was just gorgeous, the forecast looked like it was going to be correct again :clap:
The drive went well at around 70 miles it seemed like in no time at all I was there and the worry I had about parking (£3) was not needed so ticket bought (£11.35) and off I went on my wee adventure
2-The Arran 4 (4).JPG
:D. So I got on the bus and the plan was to go on a clockwise direction from Glen Rosa but I missed my stop and ended up at the bottom of Goatfell :roll: no worries though a wee look at the map and I was off, but by this time the weather was playing tricks and it was drizzling fairly heavily and I thought, bugger its going to be a pants day and the forecast was wrong :(
3-The Arran 4 (7).JPG
but as I was here I just had to go for it and before long the cloud started to break up a bit and I thought maybe the forecast was correct after all, and just as I was approaching the summit of Goatfell it did not disappoint :clap:
1-The Arran 4 (16).JPG
nearly there
and things just got better all day from there.
2-The Arran 4 (20).JPG
Goatfell summit

I had read many reports talking about how dangerous these hills could be but in my opinion there were no real difficulties as long as you use your (hill nose) :wink: and a bit of common sense you should not come to any bother so off the back of north goatfell onto the ridge
3-The Arran 4 (24).JPG
The Saddle and Cir Mhor
and past the dolphin
02-The Arran 4 (33).JPG
Dolphin ??
that eventually takes you to the saddle it seemed that there was a bit of security waiting for me in the form of a pretty healthy stag and he just wasn`t for moving (15-20ft) from me !
04-The Arran 4 (49).JPG
Guard duty
And next was that path that has already been commented on
03-The Arran 4 (37).JPG
You can just see the path snake its way up through the rocks
05-The Arran 4 (57).JPG
Glen Sannox
06-The Arran 4 (61).JPG
The Witches Step!
it looks near impossible but if you just follow your nose it really is quite easy although steeeep :crazy: before long though I was at the wee gap in the rocks and it was round the back
07-The Arran 4 (62).JPG
Just follow the path!
and up the rocks and that was that Cir Mhor summited. So on I went on a fairly non eventful walk to Caisteal Abhail
08-The Arran 4 (66).JPG
Cir Mhor and Beinn Tarsuinn from Caisteal Abhail
apart from the scramble or not to scramble dilemma Well I chose to do it as it is really straight forward with great grip etc
09-The Arran 4 (72).JPG
The Wee scramble up to the summit of Caisteal Abhail
, did my summit pose
10-The Arran 4 (78).JPG
What a view ;-)
and soaked up the fantastic views and in one of my photos you may see the 4 guys that I had met earlier in the day on the summit of Cir Mhor :clap: .
11-The Arran 4 (80).JPG
The guys I met on the Cir Mhor Summit, Zoomed

From here it is an easy retrace of your steps back towards Cir Mhor but not quite summiting again but just skirting around the side about 100mts or so below the summit on the west side again (just follow the path). Before long Beinn Tarsuinn realy started to become a reality and that Ridge :shock: I had already made my plan even before the four guys that I met earlier gave me more advice on where not to go which was appreciated :) so yet again I just followed the path to the path to the West side of A` Chir and soon you can see the faint path snake its way through the rocks to safety
14-The Arran 4 (93).JPG
The Stone Arch
at the bottom of Beinn Tarsuinn from then on it was a quick but steep climb up to the summit soon that was that and I was there fourth summit of the day :)
16-The Arran 4 (97).JPG
Me on the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn
. I sat on the summit for a while and just took in the stunning views as it was only around 330pm
15-The Arran 4 (96).JPG
I have to walk there before 720!
I had a bit of time to spare and had a wee wander around and met some of the locals :wink:
17-The Arran 4 (101).JPG
The Old Man and Brodick
18-The Arran 4 (104).JPG
Dropping off the back of Beinn Tarsuinn with Cir Mhor and the Witches Step
After 20 min or so I thought I had better get going. So its not long and you are off the back off Beinn Nuis and you can see the path meander across the soft ground below, this part of the day was the only time all day that I had encountered the dreaded CLEG and they were hungry !
19-The Arran 4 (116).JPG
A stunning day
This last bit is a long walk but I just dropped a gear and did a bit of a route march just to get back to the tar road where hopefully I would get a bus back to Brodick, but No I had just missed the 445pm bus and there was not another till 545pm so I was just as well to walk the last couple of miles back to the village via the co-op for refreshments and a wee seat on the beach for half an hour
21-The Arran 4 (121).JPG
Stats for the day Add half hour because the sats didn't find me till around the bridge on Goatfell?
then it was ferry time again, I managed to get the 6pm
22-The Arran 4 (126).JPG
Time to Go Home :-(
ferry instead of the planned 720pm sailing which was great as it got me home at 830ish rather than 930ish :) The drive home was uneventful thankfully and I got home at 845 which ended a fairly full-on day :roll: . Tonight (Wednesday) as I write this I fell as stiff as if I had just done week at the tattie howkin :wink: but I guess that's just an age thing, a day or two and all will be well, I hope :wink:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

Re: No Goats, but what a day !

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:46 am

Just my kind of hillwalk. Rocks to climb over and strike silly poses, steep cliffs to look down from, dolphins on land...

Wish I had more time to travel around Scotland. For me it looks like a week off on the island (I know there are castle ruins to explore, and I wouldn't miss some lurking on the coast). Maybe next year...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby electricfly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 am

Enjoyed that Colin. :D

Cir Mhor was the first "proper" hill I did with my school, back in the early 80's when health and safety wasn't outranking common sense. :lol:

Pretty sure it was claggy that time so nice to see the huge drop the teachers were being so paranoid about. :shock:

Think a return trip shall have to be planned for Arran. Do you think the Spaniels would manage the scrambley bits?

Cheers, EF.
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:50 pm

electricfly wrote:Think a return trip shall have to be planned for Arran. Do you think the Spaniels would manage the scrambley bits?

The above route should be no problem if you take all the easy options (keep E of the crest between Goat Fell and North Goat Fell, skirt the final section to Cir Mhor on the S, and the whole of A'Chir on the W). Probably best to avoid the Witch's Step, and Cioch na h-Oighe.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 pm

looks awesome ..definitely need to revist Arran! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Looks fantastic. Never been to Arran but may need to change that.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby tall-story » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:25 pm

electricfly wrote:Enjoyed that Colin. :D

Do you think the Spaniels would manage the scrambley bits?

Cheers, EF.

I am sure that your super spaniels will manage that no bother Eric :crazy:
tall-story
Walker

Munros:160   Corbetts:222
Fionas:43   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:21   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland