walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WHW for mums

WHW for mums

Postby vonbon » Tue May 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 12/05/2013

Time taken: 7 days

Distance: 150 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Completed this with my 15 year old son. Camping all the way with our loads on our back - no bag carrying service for us toughies! This was the best option ever as there were no restrictions as to where we had to go and at what time and it added to that authenticity of being a true adventure.
I probably can't add anything that has not already been said other than with great weather, the experience was the best due to the great people we met on the way.
Word of caution - we were prepared for the bad Scottish weather but actually came home sun burned having not even considered sun cream! Walking for 8 hours a day tends to expose you to the sun (doh!)
I can say that I felt safer during this walk than I do walking down the local high street.
vonbon
Mountaineer

Munros:2   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: WHW for mums

Postby mrssanta » Thu May 29, 2014 11:06 pm

Well done both of you
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: WHW for mums

Postby coopersoriginal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 am

Just want to say Thank you for your post and increasing my confidence, I am preparing to do the West Highland Way with my 15 year old daughter at the end of October. We will back pack but have added advantage of my dad and big tent and car on nights we close to a road where he can pick us up. I have had severe arthritis since my teens and my daughter has aspergers , though high functioning, so this will be a challenge for us both and we are going to take it slow. Hopefully we can raise some sponsorship for charity along the way. I think we are wild camping alone for just 2 or 3 nights and so hearing how safe you felt has calmed the nerves a little. Don't get me wrong we are not new to camping or walking but haven't done a lot of backpacking or ever wild camped. Hoping to have a practice this summer if weather not too bad walking from Corrour station back to our base camp in Glen Nevis with a one night stop. Know the walk can be done in a day but the point is the wildcamp! wish us luck.
coopersoriginal
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes