walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Mor & Beinn Liath Mhor Fannnaich - the Wrong Hills

Sgurr Mor & Beinn Liath Mhor Fannnaich - the Wrong Hills

Postby Fcfraser » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Sgùrr Mòr

Date walked: 10/07/2014

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 23 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1010031.JPG

Weather forecast was excellent, so sarnies and bag packed the night before..... An early night was planned, however, got involved I watching the Dutch Semi ... Which went to extra time AND penalties! .... No early night and went to bed disappointed! I'm making no excuses for having spent half a day reading route Guides, tracing my route on my map and being prepared!

How did I land up doing these two hills when I fully intended doing A'Chailleach & Sgurr Breac
It's a good idea to park in the correct car park... Not one 5 miles away, and assume it's correct, I even doubted my gps!

Anyway.... I was very aware of my error very early on, and decided to follow the sign posts, didn't even know at that point that Beinn Liath Mhor was a Munro at that point! Oh dear! I must say that when I commited to continue the walk I knew exactly where I was and what I was doing!
P1010111.JPG

Off my trusty hound Tollaidh and I went, stopping for a dip in the river for Tollaidh, whilst I was eaten alive by midges.... Actually midges are pussycats compared to CLEGGS! Who pestered me ALL day! Even biting through my clothes! HORRIBLE creatures! Can anyone tell me their purpose in life? Sure I needed a blood transfusion by the end of the day!
P1010035.JPG

Navigation was simple enough to negotiate up the hill, gaining height quickly. Views were spectacular
An easy climb onto Creag Dhubh Fannaich, where a little breeze had got up, just enough to banish the pesky midges and B.Cleggs! Quick banana stop, and now realising I was going to still add a couple of munros to my "tick list" soldiered on to Beinn Liath Mhor. Views opening up towards An Tealleach and beyond, breathtaking beauty!
P1010041.JPG

P1010046.JPG
A Hot Tollaidh

P1010048.JPG

P1010049.JPG

The cross over to Sgurr Mhor was pretty easy, stopping to take photos along the way. Interesting little shelter.... Don't think too many would fit in there through, bit too snug!
P1010053.JPG

P1010060.JPG

P1010065.JPG

P1010068.JPG

Whilst sat up top, with my midge friends, I was severely tempted to carry on and do the ridge across to Meall Gorm and An Coileachan, however as I hadn't swatted up on those two, I didn't want to tempt fate, kinda wish I had done though!
P1010070.JPG

P1010071.JPG

P1010074.JPG

P1010078.JPG

A bit of map studying, in my wisdom, I decided rather than to climb back up Beinn Liath, I would contour round the side of it..... Wish I had just retraced my steps.... Jeez that was tough going! Bit of scrambling, not easy under foot, have I mentioned midges? Well they were there too! At one point got the fright of my life when a deer coughed or barked or something! Jeez ... Sound like an auld manny that had smoked 100 fags a day for life!
P1010095.JPG

P1010096.JPG

P1010109.JPG

EVENTUALLY we rejoined the talkers path, by which time, not only was it getting on in time, my legs were done tramping, I could see my car, miles down the road.... Every stone I kicked hurt like hell, sunburnt, bitten (yeah I was smidged up) but it was the B.Cleggs that did the biting, they don't appear to mind a gob full of smidge before they sucked my blood!
P1010099.JPG

P1010104.JPG

P1010106.JPG

Anyway... Back to the car, safe and sound... Two hills to add to my 100th which I did last week , Ben More, Mull.

I will go back and nab the intended hills... Soon!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Sgurr Mor & Beinn Liath Mhor Fannnaich - the Wrong Hills

Postby mrssanta » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:20 pm

well not a bad outcome for a mistake!
shame about the B Clegs though, I completely agree they are awful
I have a great big hole in my icebreaker shirt bitten by a cleg last year.
At least the cleg season is fairly short though.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Sgurr Mor & Beinn Liath Mhor Fannnaich - the Wrong Hills

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:58 am

Two hills ticked off ! Success, doesn't really matter if they were the wrong ones does it :lol: Know what you mean about Clegs, they spoil the day somewhat, was walking the day after you on the two Graham's at Laggan and was bitten to hell, blood running down the arm stuff, not nice , see report. I take it you didn't wear shorts? Good call :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland