walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dearg Quartet - music for the camera?

Beinn Dearg Quartet - music for the camera?

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Dearg - the Four Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall, Eididh nan Clach Geala, Meall nan Ceapraichean

Date walked: 11/07/2014

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 26 km

Ascent: 1591m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sometimes a hill (or a group of hills in this case) will leap out at me when I'm not really expecting it and demand to be climbed – on Easter Sunday this year Beinn Dearg and friends did precisely that. We were walking up Am Faochagach on a beautiful morning, as we got higher mountain after mountain appeared over the rounded shoulders of Am Faochagach, Beinn Dearg, Cona Mheall and Meall nan Ceapraichean looked so appealing … who could resist ... :D :D

Originally I thought we could walk the four in 2 goes, perhaps including Seana Bhraigh with Eididh nan Clach Geala to complete the 5 just south of Ullapool, but after a couple of long walks this summer we decided to go for the 4 munro circuit, after all it would be easy enough to shorten the walk if it was proving too much of a challenge. So with an MWIS forecast of virtual certainty of cloud free munros in the north west we set off.

The walk in from Inverlael and into Gleann na Sguaib is very gentle and long - although I only realised how long on the way out – on the way it it was a doddle, easy path and good views.

Start of the walk

Two of our goals

Back to Inverlael

About 2km into the walk I realised my walking poles were still in the car – no way was I going back for them – :sick: :sick: . From the photos I've seen I here I know this walk had some steep bits – och weeelll the knees would just have to manage under their own steam :cry: .

As we gained height we crossed a couple of burns, which were very low but which could be a challenge in spate, there was also a lovely stepped waterfall on our left.

As we entered Coire Mathair Lathail the cliffs on either side created a terrific atmosphere – very majestic, a quick pull up to Lochan Lathail and wonderful views to the west.

Then up to Bealach an Lochain Uaine where An Teallach came into view. Long pause here to take more photos and refuel, then off up Beinn Dearg.

The destitution wall, or famine wall, dominates this part of the walk. It's a sombre monument to the harshness of the environment and the determination of the crofters who built it in the 1840s in exchange for food.

It certainly dominates the immediate landscape on the pull up to Beinn Dearg summit. As we approached it a black animal suddenly leapt over it from the far side, what creature was this? – some strange local wildlife? :shock: On a second look, naw, it was just Bertie returning from a private reccie – but he did give me a start :lol: :lol:

The pull up the boulders by the side of the wall was probably easier without poles, but I wasn't looking forward to the descent – it was fairly steep. Still the views were magnificent ...

Going up and looking west

The summit was reached, more food and more photos.

Seana Bhraigh with Ben Klibreck on the right

An Teallach

The Torridons

Ben Wyvis and Am Faochagach

The descent wasn't as bad as I'd expected – without poles I had to balance more carefully, but it was easier than trying to find stable positions for the poles, so lesson for the future is to stow the poles in some circumstances. On the way down Bertie found an opportunity to spook another walker … at the bealach we met 2 others heading up Beinn Dearg. We headed over the wall again and off to Cona Mheall, past the beautiful Choire Ghranda.

Choire Ghranda

Cona Mheall
We kept well to the right and went up the easy grassy slopes, avoiding the boulder field, before turning left to head for the cairn. There were some useful way marker cairns to help us find the same route back down.

Beinn Dearg from the slopes of Cona Mheall

Anyone seen a cairn?

At the top it was time for a second lunch,

then out with the camera for shots of Assynt,

Seana Bhraigh
(another long summer walk for this year????)

Loch Glascarnoch

and what I think is a hanging valley (or should that be a hanging glen) just to the north east of Cona Mheall.

The photos show Loch Prille (at the eastern end of the hanging valley) draining down into Loch na Still.

Then we were off back to Bealach an Lochain Uaine arriving there about 3:30, four hours after we first got there! At this point we worked out how far we'd have to walk to complete the 4 munros compared with finishing at this point. There seemed only to be mile, mile and a half difference in the routes and as Meall nan Ceapraichean was almost close enough to touch we set off to finish the job.

Waiting for the photographer

Meall nan Ceapraichean was a gentle ascent and provided a great view point

Beinn Dearg and the famine wall

– but where were the views of the Assynt hills – hidden behind smoke – the wind was blowing the smoke from a forest fire to the west of Beinn Ghobhlach north into Assynt – all that walking a just hazy view of the hills …

Smoky summer isles

Then off again for the final hill of the day. By this time Biggles and Bertie were taking any opportunity they could for a rest – no racing around while we munched cereal bars – when we rested they rested.

We had been concerned about water for them on this route, so we were carrying extra water, but despite the dry summer they were able to find plenty, we only had to supplement their natural supplies a couple of times.

The route between Meall nan Ceapraichean and Eididh nan Clach Geala was easy to start with, but soon care is needed to negotiate the boulder fields and avoid the crags on the north side of Ceann Garbh. We followed a gradual descent line east and found a good route down – and eventually joined up with a path near the bealach, but this could be tricky in clag and I appreciate why some people do this round the opposite way.

Route off Ceann Garbh

We chose a short and steepish route up Eididh nan Clach Geala, having lost the path again. We visited both cairns on the top, but reckon the northern one is highest. Then, yes you've guessed – more photos – more food – more resting. Then the final walk out, that long walk out.

Assynt hills

Seana Bhraigh

Boulder fields - Beinn Dearg from Eididh nan Clach Geala

We took a line off the hill that met up with the stalkers' path from Loch a Chnapaich further to the east than the WH walk description suggests – it was probably faster, but needs care to avoid the crags, then we were on good paths back to Inverlael.

Meeting of the paths - from Eididh nan Clach Geala (left) and Beinn Dearg (right)

Back to Inverlael

Even the dogs thought it was a long walk, and Biggles got decidedly grumpy when a couple of miles before we reach the car he stood on something sharp and hurt his paw (its taken him all week and a lot of biccies to forgive us).

Just over 12 hours after we stared we were back at the car – pretty slow, but then the following day I realised I'd taken over 80 photos in the course of walking this quartet.

(... and my knees without the poles - sore the next day, but then fine :) )
Last edited by Huff_n_Puff on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Re: Beinn Dearg Quartet - music for the camera?

Postby gman » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:43 pm

Perfect timing - did these on Thurs but the tops were in clag so it's great to see the views I missed :clap:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Hi Huff_ n_ Puff

Brilliant report and photos - makes me want to jump in the car and go and do these hills (maybe not this weekend though).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby PeteR » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:53 am

Superb photos :D

Was up there a few weeks back. It's a superb round and you certainly had the weather for it :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:22 am

Great report, great pics, best part of the world :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 am

That was a cracker of a day ! Brings back great memories of this area - but your views and weather were so much better. Enjoyed the photos - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:12 pm

A good read. Thanks!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:55 pm

gman wrote:Perfect timing - did these on Thurs but the tops were in clag so it's great to see the views I missed :clap:

Shame you didn't get the views - but I was impressed that you did Seena Braigh too :clap: :clap:

rockhopper wrote:That was a cracker of a day ! Brings back great memories of this area - but your views and weather were so much better. Enjoyed the photos - cheers :)

It was the sort of day that makes me smile even when its pouring down (like now) :lol:

Alteknacker wrote:Great report, great pics, best part of the world :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks - yes I'm partial to the north west too its just beautiful :D

PeteR wrote:Superb photos :D

Was up there a few weeks back. It's a superb round and you certainly had the weather for it :clap:

I read your reports Pete - both of them, so thanks. I must say I wouldn't want to tackle that bracken at the end of the day. :D

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Huff_ n_ Puff

Brilliant report and photos - makes me want to jump in the car and go and do these hills (maybe not this weekend though).

These hills are worth the drive - in good weather though :lol:

litljortindan wrote:A good read. Thanks!
Thanks.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:42 am

Well done you two, thats some walk. I still have 4 of these lot to do so this report will come in handy, another enjoyable read with cracking photos :clap: Glad to see the Spaniels making a comeback to the hills :D By the looks of things Roger would give them a run for their money in terms of fitness :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:06 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Well done you two, thats some walk. I still have 4 of these lot to do so this report will come in handy, another enjoyable read with cracking photos :clap: Glad to see the Spaniels making a comeback to the hills :D By the looks of things Roger would give them a run for their money in terms of fitness :D

Hope you get as good weather when you do them - they are a smashing group of hills, really enjoyed the day. Had to laugh at your comment about Roger giving the spaniels a run for their money - what was he doing when I read this? Out running up our nearest hill with the spaniels :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Postby kmai1961 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Wow, what a great day out -- and fabulous photos! If we couldn't just order up days like that, eh? :roll: Well done! :clap:

Karen
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:95   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am

Great report and some fantastic photos. :clap: Well done on an epic trek in such sunny conditions. :D I'm envious.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   
Fionas:1   

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:13 pm

Well done the four of you - that was a great round you did! :D

Hope the sore paw healed quickly. :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:37 pm

kmai1961 wrote:Wow, what a great day out -- and fabulous photos! If we couldn't just order up days like that, eh? :roll: Well done! :clap:

Karen

Thanks Karen - the only way I get decent hill walking days is by being retired :lol: :lol:

Lightfoot2017 wrote:Great report and some fantastic photos. :clap: Well done on an epic trek in such sunny conditions. :D I'm envious.

Yes, it was a brilliant day, thanks.

dogplodder wrote:Well done the four of you - that was a great round you did! :D

Hope the sore paw healed quickly. :?

Yes, Biggles is fine now - but Bertie is limping after our last outing. Perhaps we should shorten the routes :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland