walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag nan Gabhar & Loch Callater

Creag nan Gabhar & Loch Callater

Postby Alastair S » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Route description: Creag nan Gabhar circuit

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag nan Gabhar

Date walked: 28/03/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 481m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As predicted not a good day weather-wise. Rain for 90% of the walk, whipping over my right shoulder at high speed on the gentle ridge up to Creag nan Gabhar. Once off the ridge the wind wasn’t a worry and even got a very brief glimpse of sunshine down on Loch Callater. The route was mostly on land rover tracks and so easy to follow but a bit boggy in the flattish area to the south-east of the summit.

As always in this area there was lots of wild life about. Came across a herd of 40 red deer – all seemed to be stags – and lots of easy to spot hares.

Makes an ideal morning or afternoon walk in better conditions. I choose the a.m. option and was back at the car park by noon and back home for lunch :D

Creag nan Gabhar & Loch Callater.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1070662.JPG
Northern summit cairn (Sron Dubh)

P1070664.JPG
The route up to Creag nan Gabhar

P1070676.JPG
Creag nan Gabhar summit, looking North – Glen Clunie to the left.

P1070682.JPG
Loch Callater from near Creag nan Gabhar summit

P1070685.JPG
Eagle meat

P1070687.JPG
Fancy grouse butt

P1070703.JPG
Geese

P1070724.JPG
Rain & shine on Loch Callater
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Creag nan Gabhar & Loch Callater

Postby hills » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Love Glen Callater, so good to read your report. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby mountain coward » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

I also love that area - any of the Braemar glens - they're all beautiful and the hills are great too... But what a caption for that poor, beautiful mountain hare - 'Eagle Meat' :(
mountain coward

Postby Alastair S » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am

mountain coward wrote:But what a caption for that poor, beautiful mountain hare - 'Eagle Meat' :(

Its just this time of year it must be so easy for your eagle. A few of them were making for the patches of snow when I disturbed them but as soon as they move over on the heather a blind mole would be able to spot them.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 am

I was on top of Cairn nan Tuirc, farther up Glen Callater one summer day - the ground was littered with dismembered parts of hares: legs, heads, tails, clumps of fur. It was gruesome. I believe the geology up there makes for better grazing, there are always loads of hares running around. Must be good for the eagles. Hare is good for humans to eat too. :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland