walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mountain rescue on Bla Bheinn

Mountain rescue on Bla Bheinn

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 30/05/2014

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1160m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A leftover report from our week on Skye back in May. One of our main aims for the week was to climb Bla Bheinn, our favorite mountain, by the south ridge and, fingers crossed get the view we missed out on a few years back.
It was a cloudy day but with breaks towards the highest summits as we set off from Kilmarie. We had already walked over the Am Mam pass on a visit to Camasunary a couple of years back but this time the ever so tempting south ridge of Bla Bheinn was our target. This path to the foot of the mountain was very wet and a grassy gully we ascended to attain the ridge was tick infested and unpleasant but once the Cuillin emerged from the mists it was obviously going to be worth it.

ImageMisty Cuillin by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageCamasunary by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageThe Cuillin emerge from the mist by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This route is certainly better underfoot for most of the way than from the east but it still has several simple scrambling options to add entertainment to the breathtaking views. Following more than a few false summits the south top was reached and the magnificent panorama enjoyed.

ImageLooking towards Marsco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking across to the Cuillin ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSouth end of the Cuillin by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageLooking back down the south ridge by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageFinal pull up to the south summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageView from South summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageGrace and Tad on the South summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageBla Bheinn summit from the south top by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageHughie by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We made our way to the col between the summits to have a look at the scramble and decided that as the rock was dry it was manageable if a little exposed. A brief spell enjoying the views was spent before completing the scramble in reverse and setting off on the long journey back from whence we came.

ImageLedge between the two summits by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageView towards Marsco by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageSummit view over Clach Glas by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

ImageFamily summit shot by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We hadn't gone far when it became apparent that Hughie could go no further under his own steam. The last few days of rough Skye walking and the very spiky boulder field just off the South top had taken their toll on his poor little paws :(
I attempted carrying him underarm for a while but eventually it was obviously time to rearrange a few things and stuff the pooch into the backpack.

Hughie was initially underwhelmed by this and a squirming dog in your pack isn't the easiest thing to deal with but he soon calmed down. Now West Highland Terriers of questionable temperament may not look to heavy but believe me they certainly start to feel a ton weight after a few miles :shock:

ImageStretcher bearer by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

You'll all be happy to know that we made it down safely and Hughie's battered feet recovered in a couple of days, remarkable stuff dog spit! :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Mountain rescue on Bla Bheinn

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 pm

Oh, poor Hughie - glad it all turned out OK.

What fantastic photos and happy you got the views. It was in part due to your other Bla Bheinn report that inspired me to try it almost a year ago as my first Munro. Now I've got the bug, so thanks! Good idea to go up every year - maybe I'll do it again for my first anniversary next month. But then there are so many hills.....
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Avocetboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Nice one. I have had to do the same thing with my jack Russell / westie type
on a couple of occasions She can manage the long walks until such times as her pads get sore, then its time for the rucksack
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:53 pm

Great photos of an outstanding mountain! :D

We had a Hughie type experience with our 11 year old lab Sam when we realised his pads were bleeding at the top of Ben Macdui. My husband and son concocted a sling to carry him but for most of the descent I led him over grass whenever possible. That was his last hill climb poor chap. :?
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 am

great photos :clap: - hope the dogs paws are ok now .
wilkiemurray

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Oh, poor Hughie - glad it all turned out OK.

What fantastic photos and happy you got the views. It was in part due to your other Bla Bheinn report that inspired me to try it almost a year ago as my first Munro. Now I've got the bug, so thanks! Good idea to go up every year - maybe I'll do it again for my first anniversary next month. But then there are so many hills.....

Many thanks Annie, brilliant to think I helped inspire someone to take to the hills! :D

Avocetboy wrote:Nice one. I have had to do the same thing with my jack Russell / westie type
on a couple of occasions She can manage the long walks until such times as her pads get sore, then its time for the rucksack

He's a bit heavy to be doing that too often, I suspect he would quite like the idea of a lift back down, then again there are times I feel the same. :)

dogplodder wrote:Great photos of an outstanding mountain! :D

We had a Hughie type experience with our 11 year old lab Sam when we realised his pads were bleeding at the top of Ben Macdui. My husband and son concocted a sling to carry him but for most of the descent I led him over grass whenever possible. That was his last hill climb poor chap. :?

Many thanks, Hughie managed Ben Macdui no bother last year, the thought of having to get a bigger dog down sounds a tough proposition. RIP Sam by the way :(

wilkiemurray wrote:great photos :clap: - hope the dogs paws are ok now .

Cheers Willke, Hughies paw's are fine and dandy, back romping up the hills :D
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby clivegrif » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:51 pm

Great report there JKLL!

So Hughie has graduated from being a mere hill-bagger to a full blown Mountaineer! Excellent stuff :clap:

I haven't tried stuffing Monty into a rucksack yet, but fear that a bonkers Border Terrier might not be too compliant....

...And it goes without saying, yet another brilliant set of pictures.

Cheers
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:13 pm

clivegrif wrote:Great report there JKLL!

So Hughie has graduated from being a mere hill-bagger to a full blown Mountaineer! Excellent stuff :clap:

I haven't tried stuffing Monty into a rucksack yet, but fear that a bonkers Border Terrier might not be too compliant....

...And it goes without saying, yet another brilliant set of pictures.

Cheers

Thanks Clive, Hughie was already a mountaineer, Munro number 11 for his little legs :)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:24 pm

Great report, and fantastic photos, could I ask what camera you are using, and whether you use a grad filter? They're very sharp photos and good cloud texture (as far as I can tell anyway, I'm winging this a bit here, not much of a photo geek really!).

And well done with the pooch, my border terrier has been up and down the Lakes but I've not brought her north of the border yet, I'm concerned about her on scrambling sections, not for her sake but for other walkers who might not appreciate her milling about around their feet...
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 pm

2manyYorkies wrote:Great report, and fantastic photos, could I ask what camera you are using, and whether you use a grad filter? They're very sharp photos and good cloud texture (as far as I can tell anyway, I'm winging this a bit here, not much of a photo geek really!).

And well done with the pooch, my border terrier has been up and down the Lakes but I've not brought her north of the border yet, I'm concerned about her on scrambling sections, not for her sake but for other walkers who might not appreciate her milling about around their feet...

Thanks for your kind words, I use a Canon400d with a sigma 17-70mm lens. I didn't use a ND grad on this day but I do tend to under expose so the sky doesn't blow out. I shoot in RAW so I can process the image for maximum detail throughout, sorry if this is too geeky for you :wink:

I wouldn't worry about the Scottish hills with a dog, the rocks on Skye are in another league in terms of roughness and in the entirety of the UK IMHO. As for scrambling bits just get a harness and an extender lead that way you can keep total control over the pooch and everybody is safe :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby 2manyYorkies » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:40 am

Thanks, that's helpful advice , I'll try the RAW bit. I've just got a Canon 100D which certainly seems light enough to drag around the hills. Maisie the BT will be making the trip north soon!
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Wonderful photos :clap: :clap: - thanks for the tips, must try using raw.

Had to laugh at Hughie's lift home - we've often wondered if one of our dogs would ever need a piggyback off the hills, glad to see he settled in so well :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland