walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin from Glen Artney

Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin from Glen Artney

Postby U059361 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 22/07/2014

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 25.5 km

Ascent: 1331m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have a picture above my fireplace of Stirling with Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich in the background and it has been my ambition since it was bought to walk the ridges on the picture, up Ben Vorlich, across the bealach to Stuc a'Chroin and then down the ridge from Stuc a'Chroin and return. It would be a long walk so only summer time would do. The weather forecast was good, so this was the time.
Helen and Paul picked me up and we drove to the car park beside a church at the end of Glen Artney. There is no other proper car park beyond this point. Paul was driving his van so no room for creative parking.
The walk starts along the road to the road end and then the right of way to Callander. There is a little bridge over the burn at the road end on the left, easily missed. It is not difficult to get over the burn. There is now a long walk over a farm track all the way out of Glen Artney and down into Gleann an Dubh Choirein. A few gates to open and close along the way. There is a track going off to the right before a bridge, take this track. It goes up the glen. Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich can now be seen ahead. Hard to go wrong. The track weaves through bracken at this point for some distance. The river preesents a few interesting gorges along the way with waterfalls, Plenty of water to drink. It was blazing hot now. The track heads up to drier ground after a stand of trees and gate. Where it heads directly up at a burn, a path cuts directly across to a footbridge and rejoins the track further over. A corner is cut. The track eventually becomes just a worn path beside the river until it reaches a rather remote ruin of a farm. The remains of a bridge offer a scrambled crossing over the burn. Another ruin lies on this side. The ridge up Vorlich is clear to see and we followed a track beside the burn for a bit before walking up the slope to get to the ridge line to ascend the hill. It was easier going up the ridge, the grass shorter and another path became obvious. Helen wasn't feeling well though so we took our time climbing up to the top. We stopped for a break and a bite to eat. It is definitely easier than ascending from Loch Earn. Pity about the long walk in.
ImageHeading up Vorlich by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStuc a'Chroin from Vorlich top by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageVorlich top and glen by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Great views now, we took time to enjoy them. Helen was determined to do the complete walk, so we pressed on down to the bealach. Totally different feel to it compared to the ascent ridge, rocky, steep, scree. We could see the path ascending beyond the crags of Stuc a'Chroin and headed over. It was a quick ascent despite being a bit of a dirt chute.
ImageBealach between Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Helen was not well by the time we made the top. She was sick here. :( Felt better after it though. Another break and a look round.
ImageVorlich from top Stuc a'Chroin by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageLochan a'Chroin and Beinn Each by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
After a wee rest we then headed down the ridge on a clear path. We could see it all the way down. Looking over Lochan a'Chroin we spotted 3 large groups of red deer in Coire an Lochan. Must have been over a hundred heads. It was a great walk down the ridge, the sun was at an angle to highlight the ribs of the corry.
ImageBen Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin from ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageStuc a'Chroin & ridge down by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
We quickly made it to the end of the ridge and dropped down to the bealach. We contoured round rather than go straight down to keep to better ground. It was a faint path back to the ruins and the remains of the bridge.
ImageVorlich & ridge up by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
From there we just retraced our route back to the car. The sun was burning our backs as we walked, it was at the perfect angle by now, low over the tops. A long day, we were glad to get our boots off when we got back to the van, steam and stink :lol: coming out of them. A long day, but a great one. Now I look at the picture and relive this every time. 8)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin from Glen Artney

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:18 pm

Good report, I like the alternative route to these 2.

Back in February(ish) I was admiring, from Uamh Bheag, the ridge up to Vorlich in its winter white coat and thought it would make a good ascent. Although I never did get around to checking the map to see how accessible its was or what kind of walk in was needed.

Thanks for posting, looks like you had a good, if long and tiring, day.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:19 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:Back in February(ish) I was admiring, from Uamh Bheag, the ridge up to Vorlich in its winter white coat and thought it would make a good ascent. Although I never did get around to checking the map to see how accessible its was or what kind of walk in was needed.

Another way of including this ridge is to start from Ardvorlich, climb Meall na Fearna and then descend SW to the foot of the ridge. Completing the circuit over Ben Our is an option, too.

A round of Stuc a'Chroin and Beinn Each from Braeleny is also worthwhile (river crossings permitting!).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:39 pm

jmarkb wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:Back in February(ish) I was admiring, from Uamh Bheag, the ridge up to Vorlich in its winter white coat and thought it would make a good ascent. Although I never did get around to checking the map to see how accessible its was or what kind of walk in was needed.

Another way of including this ridge is to start from Ardvorlich, climb Meall na Fearna and then descend SW to the foot of the ridge. Completing the circuit over Ben Our is an option, too.

A round of Stuc a'Chroin and Beinn Each from Braeleny is also worthwhile (river crossings permitting!).

That circuit (Meall na Ferna, Vorlich, Ben Our) is now on my todo list :D It'll turn a single corbett bag into a good day out.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland