walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach (Walk Of The God's)

Aonach Eagach (Walk Of The God's)

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:49 am

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 18/07/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had decided it was time for the "Ridge" something we had been talking about for a long time, Andy had already done it some years back and had been explaining just how much of a challenge it was but more so how much of a buzz it would be..... nothing else we had done or probably would do would compare to the feeling of completing the ridge. Ok it was planned however the only problem with life is that work sometimes get's in the way and on this outing it would be myself and Andy only. I had read up on it, watched clips on youtube and to a degree felt I had studied enough to consider myself pretty much prepared for what lay ahead :lol: :lol: :lol: the laughing says it all.
We arrived early and for a short period the weather was looking quite promising, feeling good we stopped for a quick photo shoot before digging into our first climb
008 (640x480).jpg
Bright Start

009 (640x480).jpg
Poser

Ok modelling session over it was time to get down to the hard work, the climb began at a good pace as the sun was shining and spirits were high, was excited & eager to see what lay ahead although I would be "Spoffing" to use an old term if I said I was not just a bit nervous. The usual banter set in and that made the initial climb pass pretty quick, we had made good time to the first summit "Meall Dearg" we decided we would crack on as the weather was starting to close in already, no rain just plenty of cloud.
010 (640x480).jpg
Whisky Time

011 (640x480).jpg
A Toast To The Mountain (Glen Morangie)

And so it began, by the time we had hit the start of the ridge we knew it would be a day that we would be robbed of views, the cloud had settled pretty thick and the chance of it lifting was slim however we had agreed that the climb would be all we needed, would we return again on a better day and get the views???? I'll decide once I had got to the other side lol :wink:
Before I knew it we were on the ridge, straight away the safety head went on although the banter continued to flow, this was no "walk in the park" or whatever other term you might want to use. As the ridge continued I realised that concentration was key on this one, the cloud and made the rock damp and the cracks at some points to get your boots and fingers into were not the wide gaping holes I had been hoping for :lol:
017 (640x480).jpg
Hands On

016 (640x480).jpg
Expidition Leader :)

This was the bit I had heard all about, I remember Muriel Gray saying something about the "Hill Of The Brown Underwear" or something like that :wink: we continued knowing that we were probably being done out of some of the most spectacular views ever and kind of knowing somewhere in the back of your head that no matter what, one day you would be back.
020 (640x480).jpg
Eh up or down

an10 (378x504).jpg
3 second gap in the cloud

Would be easy to say we sailed across the ridge, no bother was up and down in a jiffy and home in time for tea & medals, that would be a lie :) there is no rushing this, no easy route and deffo not for the faint hearted, I had heard loads of stories about people going over this in trainers, coach outings stopping and doing the ridge just to pass the time, even heard a story of how a married couple took there 8 & 10 year old over the ridge..... if thats the case then fair play but a quarter of the way through I was starting to doubt the "Jackanory" tales lol
an12 (378x504).jpg
To Kool 4 Skool

an13 (378x504).jpg
My attempt at the "Bolt"

an17 (378x504).jpg
Some flat ground, for a minute

an18 (378x504).jpg

an22 (378x504).jpg
Hold On Now Say Cheeeeeeeeeeeeez

an23 (378x504).jpg
Forget The Cheeeeeeez lol

By this point I was starting to wonder if we would ever come across a picnic bench, the body was calling for food and the head was saying KEEP GOING lol, yes the head won and the climb/crawl continued. of course you can not do the Ridge and come away with no memories/pictures so at every safe opportunity it was cameras out, this was a climb I wanted to remember. The weather had not let up all day however I guess we were lucky that the rain had left us alone, Andy has done the ridge previously so was pretty on point with the route although to be honest there's not really anywhere else to go apart from FORWARD...........
" Below in BOLD is a quote I extracted from another Blog, kind of sums it up as to the emotions felt by all who take this challenge on"

Crossing the Aonach Eagach ridge has been a great lesson of humility. It’s been morally as much as physically challenging. It taught me not to ever underestimate the power of nature, and never overestimate yours. If you want to give something difficult a try, you’d better get prepared as much as you can. What scared me was probably more the fact that I wasn’t prepared and wasn’t expecting such an exposed route, rather than the route itself. Since that day then, I’ve been following some basic rules, I now study the route as if I had done it before, I consider that everything’s probably gonna be harder than what I expect and that the weather is going to be awful, or I could possibly not get out of it alive. Challenge is exciting, danger gives you adrenaline, but when real fear/panic takes over, it's time to switch on , for on this Ridge one small mistake could very possibly be your last.

So in Summary, There are many who have done this route over the years, we went from East to West and some will have done it from the other end however I have a feeling that no matter what for those that have completed it there will have been many different thoughts/emotions ranging from "That was awesome back next week" to "Eh never again" My initial thoughts were "Survived it never again" :lol: however as time has passed I can feel the pulling sensation, the adrenaline rush at some points of it was sensational if I'm honest almost beyond words, the odd piece of flat ground which allows you the time to compose yourself again is God given. Glen Coe is one of the most stunning places on earth, we call it God's country for a reason, there are many mountains I will climb before my time is up and as each day passes I can feel the Ridge pulling me/us back, we laughed walking back up the the road towards the car park, we even waved and said goodbye, the intention at that point was not to return, however look at my last picture, how could you possibly live your life out and never return to her. For those that have done this my hat comes off to you, nobody get's us or our passion for this, we are a breed that nobody understands, we take on challenges like this Ridge in some of the most beautiful & captivating places on earth knowing that every step could be our last, however do we stop?? far from it we walk away knowing that deep down when the next opportunity arises our shadows will fall on those Mountains again, for those who have climbed and lost there lives...... we salute you, we walked with God's
Ridge AE (640x480).jpg
Waiting For Your Return
Attachments
an5 (378x504).jpg
Where Many Boots Have Trodden
an3 (378x504).jpg
Mystical in the cloud
Last edited by MunroMadMen on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 7 times in total.
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Aonach Eagach (My Story)

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:42 pm

It is a great ridge, of that there is no doubt. Some will laugh it off as if its no big deal, but it is, and each of us is different, the emotion builds just from reading about it, and then when your actually on it, those emotions come to the fore, tears, fear, stress, love and hate, all in a day, and as you say some people just don't get it, their loss.

I've done it a few times, the first, reckless youth, aborted due to wind, but returned the next day and completed it. Have helped a party across who having reached the pinnacles were about to return, but luckily I was carrying a rope for my own pal (who didnt need it). I've done it a few other times in mixed weather, with first timers, and one day hope to repeat those memories along with a winter traverse, and a full moon one.

Very fine closing words :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for this - fantastic photos - I admire your calm in being able to get the camera out, focus and shoot - my hand would be trembling so much everything would be a blur :lol: :lol: . Congratulations, - still don't know if I've got the guts to tackle Aonach Eagach
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 pm

spiderwebb wrote:It is a great ridge, of that there is no doubt. Some will laugh it off as if its no big deal, but it is, and each of us is different, the emotion builds just from reading about it, and then when your actually on it, those emotions come to the fore, tears, fear, stress, love and hate, all in a day, and as you say some people just don't get it, their loss.

I've done it a few times, the first, reckless youth, aborted due to wind, but returned the next day and completed it. Have helped a party across who having reached the pinnacles were about to return, but luckily I was carrying a rope for my own pal (who didnt need it). I've done it a few other times in mixed weather, with first timers, and one day hope to repeat those memories along with a winter traverse, and a full moon one.

Very fine closing words :D

The thought of doing the ridge on a moonlit night sounds awesome, views and pics would be stunning. Need to get that on my bucket list :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Thanks for this - fantastic photos - I admire your calm in being able to get the camera out, focus and shoot - my hand would be trembling so much everything would be a blur :lol: :lol: . Congratulations, - still don't know if I've got the guts to tackle Aonach Eagach

I made sure I was remembering it lol, we are planning pon going back in a cpl weeks for another round which is weird considering i said I was happy with one successful climb lol
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:26 am

Huff, your welcome to join us on our next day on the Ridge??

I'll post when we are going back

G
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:14 pm

Nice one George & of course your 'guide/leader' Andy :clap: :clap:
I have been waiting for your report, conditions look very similar to when we did it last year :wink:

Also like your final words, very poignant 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby MunroMadMen » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:42 am

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one George & of course your 'guide/leader' Andy :clap: :clap:
I have been waiting for your report, conditions look very similar to when we did it last year :wink:

Thanks Martin,

We are out again on Monday 11th Ben Lui, Beinn a Chliebh & Ben Oss if you fancy it, drop me a txt m8, doing Ben Cruachan to Stob Diamh week after nxt another good ridge walk then back to Aonach Eagach on a clear day

tag in anytime m8
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby GillC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one George & of course your 'guide/leader' Andy :clap: :clap:

Indeed all,,tis an experience, more than just a day on the hills. Can't believe its nearly a year Martin B lol Think it was also Munros 37 & 38 for me. Grand. :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:27 pm

MunroMadMen wrote:We are out again on Monday 11th Ben Lui, Beinn a Chliebh & Ben Oss if you fancy it, drop me a txt m8, doing Ben Cruachan to Stob Diamh week after nxt another good ridge walk then back to Aonach Eagach on a clear day

tag in anytime m8

Thanks for the invite George been up Cruachan twice in the last few months & that is enough for one year :lol: :lol:
As for the others did them a few years ago so will give them a miss as well :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby MunroMadMen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:48 am

No probs Martin :wink:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:42 pm

That's a great report and thanks for sharing your experience. Very moving!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby MunroMadMen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:47 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:That's a great report and thanks for sharing your experience. Very moving!

Thanks Annie, Can't believe I'm going back for round 2 lol :wink:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Postby MunroMadMen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 am

GillC wrote:

Indeed all,,tis an experience, more than just a day on the hills. Can't believe its nearly a year Martin B lol Think it was also Munros 37 & 38 for me. Grand. :clap:

So when is round 2 Gill ;)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Re: Aonach Eagach (Walk Of The God's)

Postby MunroMadMen » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:01 am

Plan is now in place for lap 2...... will this be our last???????? :wink:
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland