walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Avon 4

Ben Avon 4

Postby bar72 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a'Bhuird, Beinn a'Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Ben Avon

Date walked: 26/07/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 45 km

Ascent: 1730m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After deliberating on the weather forecast all week and deciding to initially head NW, i changed plans at last minute to go East and do the Ben Avon round. The rain was supposed to come in around 17:00 so i set off at 05:00, on my bike. I'd been putting them off for ages, due the the heavy milage involved to bag 4 summits. Ben Avon it was.

ImageBen Avon (Cairngorms) Circuit by Barry fae Fife, on Flickr
GPS track log

Heading West from Braemar, i continued right up to the Linn of Dee, passed the 1st car park and kept heading East, right up to the small wooden bridge. There were few cars there at 05:00.

On my bike, there is a path starting before the bridge, heading West, uphill then onto a nice cycle through Glen Quoich forest.

heading up the glen

needed a rest but the ascent / descents were equal so i guaranteed a high speed cycle back ;

scenery ;

After around an 8k cycle in, i came to the Quoich river where i left the bike. You cold go further but i planned to descend from Meall an Lundain so it made sense to dump the bike here as this was my return point.

Quoich Water

Just after i crossed the river and headed up the track a few 100 meters, the track split. I took the right fork for Ben Avon and continued up. The tracks are excellent up here.

Follow the track for a click or so where i arrived a yet another river which was easy enough crossed in summer.

One good thing about sunrise. This wee spider had web weaved over the path. After a quick photo, climbed over his web and let him crack on ;

After crossing the river i was on about 2 photo's up, follow another track up past the river.

keeping on track after 2nd river crossing

After another 2k i discovered yet another river crossing which was a wee bit tricky to get over. Kinda scrambled over big boulders to the left of the track after throwing my water and rucksack over 1st.

another river crossing

After crossing the river, i followed the track up and around Carn Eas (see below pic), which will bring you up onto the bealach between Ben Avon and Beinn a'Bhuird.

Carn Eas (just right of the path)

on way passed Carn Eas

Keeping heading up the path, at another river, which was easy to cross, the path continues upwards.

head up the path passed the water

Keeping on up the path, the plateau appears. I headed Easterly where the summit of Ben Avon soon appeared.

ascending up to the plateau

summit finally appears

summit of Ben Avon

After a bite to eat and some views, i'm heading back down to bealach then Westerly up the scree to a rocky top. After this top, i headed WSW where i could see the North summit top of Beinn a'Bhuird.

heading West for the scree and the bouldery top in the distance

heading past the top to get the summit further on

just keep heading along the flat, grassy terrain.

After taking the previous pic, you'll catch the summit on the horizon (in good weather)

Beinn a'Bhuird's North Summit

After another bite to eat, i started heading West for Beinn a'Chaorainn which is quite a way off.

Beinn a'Chaorainn's summit (centre), overshadowed by Derry Cairngorm, etc

Keeping due west, when i dropped height, i headed slightly South, then West, to avoid quite wet, boggy terrain and not lose too much height. When i crossed over yet another burn, i headed right up through the boulderfield, for the summit.

cracking on up the bouderfield

After the boulderfield is passed, i found a well trodden path which showed the summit up in the distance.

keep heading straight on the path to the summit

summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn

Three climbed and one to go, the weather was still holding out but i decided to crack on and get to Beinn Bhreac. It's around 5k away and pathless. I headed SES over wet peat and a lot of burns. Every step was a gamble as to whether i was going to disappear up to me knees in foul black water. Eventually, the ground improved underfoot and i headed South to end up bestween the 2 summits of Beinn Bhreac.

heading for the East summit

Beinn Bhreac's East Summit

looking back over to Derry Cairngorm, Mheadhoin, Bynack Mor in background

I was pretty knackered by now and had to sum up the easiest way of getting back down to the river Quoich? it was straight down over heather to the SE or SSW over Meall an Lundain (top). The latter looked the easier option on my knees so off i went.

heading for Meall an Lundain

summit of Meall an Lundain

After a wee pause to regain my breath at the summit, i headed WSW down the way and headed for the edge of the trees to return to where i dumped the bike.

back to the bike

I then enjoyed quite a high speed cycle back to the car. A wise decision as the below pic show the torrential rain at Glenshee, heading straight for Braemar :D :D

Glenshee, just North of the ski centre.
bar72
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:15   

Re: Ben Avon 4

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Grand tour that one Bar72, good effort, now things have cooled down I'll dust down the boots.
spiderwebb
Mountaineer

Munros:93   Corbetts:15
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby bar72 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:54 am

spiderwebb wrote:Grand tour that one Bar72, good effort, now things have cooled down I'll dust down the boots.

thanks spiderwebb. it was a hike, right enough. made a difference using the bike. learned the hard way when i decided to walk in to Geldie Lodge Munro's a forntnight past. Felt forever walking out.
bar72
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby scottcummings » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:18 am

Hi, was just planning a route around Ben Avon and found your Ben Avon 4 walk report. It looks exactly what I was trying to organise. A bit cheeky, but I don't suppose you have the GPX for that route? Thanks, Scott
scottcummings
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Borderhugh » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks for posting this. This is the 1st report I have seen of these 4 together. Good to finally see some clear piccies of the route. Bar the river crossings it looks there is a good 'motorway' up to the top of Ben Avon. We are planning this Steven Fallon route this summer. Roll on the good weather!
Borderhugh
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:54
Grahams:31   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:43   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland