walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tyndrum 4

Tyndrum 4

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:54 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlèibh, Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Lui, Ben Oss

Date walked: 25/07/2014

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 24.9 km

Ascent: 1987m

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We’d headed up to Scotland the night before from Preston and after much thought of where to go on the Friday we had decided on the Ben Lui 4 so we could have easy access to the hills in the South Eastern area of the Highlands where the better weather was forecast for the weekend.

For the Friday though it was wall to wall sunshine and we left the car park at Dalrigh just before 7am for a long day where dehydration would obviously be a big factor in the searing heat.

The walk in to the base of Lui is a long one, but progress was quick along a good track and we were soon looking up at the formidable climb to Lui from its base.

First view of Lui.JPG
Our first view of Ben Lui

Lui closer up.JPG
Ben Lui getting closer

Track leads right to the base of Lui.JPG
The track leads right to the base of the Mountain

Getting closer.JPG
Getting closer!

The walk up to the Coire was a steep one and we branched off to the right to hit the ridgeline where we got a sudden and dramatic view of the Glencoe, Etive, Orchy and Cruachan hills with the Big Ben also making an appearance in the distance.

From here the ridge narrows and gets rockier in a satisfying way before you hit the summit plateau, with the summit cairn itself dramatically placed above the edge. It had been a seriously hot climb and we weren’t much past 9am – things were only going to get warmer!

Looking back.JPG
Looking back from the climb up

Lui's cliffs.JPG
Lui's cliffs

Ridge to Lui.JPG
The ridge gets rockier nearer the top

Looking back down the ridge.JPG
Looking back down the ridge

Looking over to the summit.JPG
Looking over to the summit of Lui

Lui Summit.JPG
Ben Lui summit

Looking down the valley.JPG
View back down the valley

Ben Cruachan.JPG
Ben Cruachan from Lui

Ben Oss and 4.JPG
Ben Oss and Ben Dubhcraig from Lui

Number 2 from Lui.JPG
Beinn a'Chleibh from Lui

The descent off the other side of Lui was quick along an eroded path and the walk up Munro Number 2, Beinn a’Chleibh was a straightforward and easy one.

The next part of the walk was the bit we had been dreading, the long traverse from the beallach between Lui and a’Chleibh round to the beallach between Lui and Oss. Both of us play football regularly and have had several ankle sprains over the years so concern was high and care was needed.

However, this part was easier than expected and soon enough we were at the beallach looking up at the dome shaped Ben Oss. In the midday sun and with only intermittent bits of path this was the most taxing part of the day but by keeping a steady plod going we made good progress up to the summit.

Lui from 2.JPG
Ben Lui from Beinn a'Chleibh summit

Traversing Lui.JPG
Traversing around Ben Lui

Ben Oss ahead.JPG
Ben Oss now ahead

Lui from Oss 2.JPG
Great view of Lui from the slopes of Oss

Oss summit.JPG
Oss summit with Lui behind

Ben and Loch Lomond.JPG
Ben and Loch Lomond from Ben Oss

The final climb of the day up to Ben Dubhcraig was much easier – probably helped by a good refuel on the summit of Ben Oss – and all that remained was a long, strenuous and boggy walk out (I’d imagine awfully boggy in rain) back to the car park at Dalrigh.

Number 4 ahead.JPG
Looking to Beinn a'Chleibh from Ben Oss

Crainlarich Hills.JPG
Crainlarich Hills in profile from Beinn a'Chleibh

Back to Oss and Lui.JPG
Looking back at Oss and Lui from Beinn a'Chleibh

A very good walk with Lui dominating throughout as this fine mountain is seen from every angle throughout the walk.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Tyndrum 4

Postby Jaxter » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:09 pm

Amazing pictures. I'm looking at this for tomorrow, I hope my weather is as good as yours!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby CarltheViking » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:43 am

Excellent post that has helped me plan my ascent of these four Munros.
CarltheViking
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:16   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:165
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Postby Cazza09 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:27 pm

Hey, I know it was some time ago, but so you remember how long this took you overall?

And just to confirm, you walked along the bottom to Ben Lui first and then made your way back towards Tyndrum?
Cazza09
Ambler

Munros:3   

Postby Dai S » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:01 am

I did this round on Sunday 6th June using the GPs track from here:-
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43804
And it took me 9 hrs 20 mins from car back to car. Hope this helps.
Dai S
Stravaiging

Munros:149   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:106   

Postby Broggy1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:04 pm

Cazza09 wrote:Hey, I know it was some time ago, but so you remember how long this took you overall?

And just to confirm, you walked along the bottom to Ben Lui first and then made your way back towards Tyndrum?

Hi - indeed it was a few years back but think it took us just under 8hrs.

Yes we used the track to the base of Ben Lui - then around the 4 Munro’s - and then the boggy return from the 4th Munro which was relatively dry during that heatwave but probably takes longer usually.

It’s a great walk though you’ll love it.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Postby ncarballal » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:54 pm

OMG, I am dumb! I cannot tell how long it has taken me to find the way to post this! To the point... I like the look of this route, can I import it to my OS maps as I do with the official Walkhighlands routes? If so, how?
ncarballal

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland