walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A majestic Torridonian wild camp

A majestic Torridonian wild camp

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 am

Route description: Sgòrr nan Lochan Uaine and Sgùrr Dubh

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgòrr nan Lochan Uaine, Sgùrr Dubh

Date walked: 21/07/2014

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1050m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A Torridon Wild Camp

The first weekend of my summer holidays and the weather was looking good. I fancied a wild camp and had been eying up An Ruadh Stac from the Achnashellach side, however for some reason I decided on the brace of Corbetts directly opposite Liathach in Glen Torridon. I think the view over to Liathach and Beinn Eighe won the day, with the weather looking promising I was hoping for some spectacular vistas, at the end and start of the day.

I had planned on doing these hills previously only to change my mind at 0530am one cold December morning. The change of plan led me to one of the finest outings I have experienced – a winter traverse of Beinn Dearg, a day that will live long in the memory ( http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27646 ).

Ever since that day I have planned on keeping these two for fine weather and that’s what I got.
Film of adventure below:

Leaving the car around 1600hrs, the winds were light (too light!) and the skies overcast. The cloud base was still well above the tops and the forecast was for blue sky to prevail as the evening wore on.

Imageblack and white by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

The overcast calm conditions meant one thing, and boy did they come out in force – the dreaded midge attacked. I tried to not stop moving because every time I stopped I was feasted upon!! Eventually they forced me to stop, less than 1km from the car to get my smidge out. Stopping briefly to do this and getting the back pack off my back – they focused their efforts as I rushed to get the smidge out of the top pocket where I always keep it. It was in the top pocket alright – but in my smaller bag I had on the week before!! Arrgghhhhhhhhhhh. Buzz, itch, swipe, scratch – they were landing all over – the feeling of them crawly on my face and neck and buzzing in my ears. I was cursing myself for leaving the smidge – school boy error – how the heck was I going to manage a wild camp!!!! I delved further into my bag – rushing and fumbling for a solution – into the stove bag and mercy behold – a midge net- phew!! On it went with a few getting inside- cue smacking myself in the face to get rid of them !! Haha

Then an old spay can of boots insect repellent was discovered even further into the bag. I think I had put this in as a back up many moons ago – boy was I relieved to make this find. Spray it on all over – even got that poison on the lips – never a good taste!! Gladly –it did the trick- they were still buzzing around, but less were landing and the midge net obviously helped too!

I continued on my way. I had chosen to head up towards Sgurr Dubh first and leave the bag for the outward trip to Sgorr Lochain Uaine. This meant heading up the steep ground with the bag on. I soon reached the steep slopes, which were interspersed with terraces. The midge net had to go on the steep sections as it was impeding my vision, however the insect repellent seemed to being doing a decent job. I headed on a more southerly route to try and find the beallach between two Corbetts, which was over some very rough and steep ground. Some scrambling was also partaken and some treacherous scree slopes crossed, but eventually the ground started to level out and numerous lochans started appearing. Once I crossed the Allt nan Corrag I headed onto the ridge an found a spot to leave the bag. It was now nearly 1730. I headed up Sgorr nan Lochain Uaine summiting about 1800hrs. The going was rough but easier without the bag.

Also met some of the locals:

Imagedeer by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

I was getting a bit concerned about finding a decent pitch as so far the ground was relatively rough with loads of rocks – no flat grassy areas!! Looking across the Sgurr Dubh things only seemed to be more rocky!!! Anyway back to the bag at the Beallach and the cloud was now parting – by 1900 the skies were blue. The lack of wind also made the lochans turn to mirrors and the views were simply stunning.

Imagepanorama lochan by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

On with the pack and I made my way towards Sgurr Dubh. The going was still rough and the heavy pack was slowing me down. However I was in no rush and slowly plodded my way past numerous beautiful lochans (including one that looked like an infinity pool). Had I found a pitch next to these I would have been tempted to have a dook, however I was more interested in getting anywhere to pitch the tent as I had yet to see a suitable site!!!

Imagelochan mirror by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Around 2000hrs and I was stood on the top looking down into Glen Torridon. The sun was shining and the Torridonian mountains were smiling – awesome vistas!! However none of these vistas included a grassy patch!! So onwards and I must have dropped a good 200-300 metres before eventually getting a spot next to a miniature lochan. It was not exactly even ground but easily the best patch I had found. To say I was glad to have the exped ground mat would be an understatement!!

Supper cooked and tent up I enjoyed a lovely sunset and the clouds turning purple above the mighty Liathach- an amazing sight. The midges must have enjoyed it too!!!

ImageLiathach Ridge first light by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagelooking down loch torridon by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Eventually I hit the hay after 1100hrs, waking around 0415. A quick look outside and the skies had cracking pink high clouds and cloud was flowing off the summit – maybe a good thing I dropped a few hundred metres or I’d have been in the fog!!

ImageSCARP under the moon at 0430am by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageLiathach predawn 1 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

First thing, as always, was to get some coffee on. Always, always the best coffee is that on the morning of a wild camp – magical taste!! The breeze had picked up through the night which meant one thing – the midge were no longer feasting!! I took my time, enjoyed the coffee and eventually packed up. Decided on heading straight back to the car. I was a little uneasy about this as the ground had been broken and steep on the way up. However I made use of the GPS and the map and picked my way carefully down the hillside. Once on easier terrain the walking back to the car was simply stunning. Blue skies and mighty Torridonian peaks all around – a slice of heaven!!

ImageLiATHach pano lochan by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageLiathach Lochan by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

I eventually reached the car a little after six in the morning – well and truly satisfied with my outing 

ImageDSC09655 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: A majestic Torridonian wild camp

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Saw these on Flickr and commented on most of them. Absolutely fantastic.

I think your date is not correct as you were up there before me and I was up on the 19th (report to follow). Now I can luxuriate in looking at the video!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby wilkiemurray » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Saw these on Flickr and commented on most of them. Absolutely fantastic.

I think your date is not correct as you were up there before me and I was up on the 19th (report to follow). Now I can luxuriate in looking at the video!

Thanks Annie - will need to check Flickr - that's for kind comments :)

As usual a Scholl boy error from me regards date - definitely didn't walk these today :)

Hope you like the video - gets better as the skies clear :) :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby scoob999 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Nice one :clap:

Great hills these, but they seem to look better on your video :wink: well done on finding a spot for the tent very rocky up these two, great area :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby spiderwebb » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Stunning pics of a stunning area, one of my favourites :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:37 am

Nice photos - need to have a wander around this area again soon :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:08 am

scoob999 wrote:Nice one :clap:

Great hills these, but they seem to look better on your video :wink: well done on finding a spot for the tent very rocky up these two, great area :D

Thanks Scoob - the pitch finding was particularly tricky - probably rhe most uneven spot Ivefound so far - however it was very rocky as you know!!

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:09 am

spiderwebb wrote:Stunning pics of a stunning area, one of my favourites :D :D

Thanks Spider WEbb -was lucky to get it in good conditions (although most of this week looks like it would be nice too)
:D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:09 am

malky_c wrote:Nice photos - need to have a wander around this area again soon :)

Thanks Malky :)
wilkiemurray

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:15 pm

:clap: :clap:
Wonderful video and photos, thanks for posting.
I love this area, even though my first visit was as a teenager in the long hot summer of 1976 when we managed to find the only fortnight of flag in the UK (and a midge-fest to match your experience) .... Still, we managed to get over the big three nevertheless, if not very elegantly.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:117   

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:53 am

Always a joy to watch your vids but this was quite superb. Watched it last night and wondered why I pay my TV licence!

You really know how to put it together on film. As a side line:
a. Offer them to the Adventure Show
b. Run Master Classes in Outdoor film making
c. Ignore a and b!

Keep em coming. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 am

Some really nice time lapse sequences in the video and some stunning photos of the sunsets :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:02 am

2manyYorkies wrote::clap: :clap:
Wonderful video and photos, thanks for posting.
I love this area, even though my first visit was as a teenager in the long hot summer of 1976 when we managed to find the only fortnight of flag in the UK (and a midge-fest to match your experience) .... Still, we managed to get over the big three nevertheless, if not very elegantly.

I can remember camping at the Torridon campsite many moons ago and the midge were horrendous then too - we arrived about 11pm and were instantly set upon whilst getting the tents up. I remember diving in the tent and not hanging around too long in the morning!! Spectacular mountains though :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 am

ancancha wrote:Some really nice time lapse sequences in the video and some stunning photos of the sunsets :clap:

wilkiemurray

Postby heatheronthehills » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Amazing video!! We were up there today in the snow and it looks very different, but still rocky and steep!
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland