walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wild Camping adventures in Fisherfield - The Fisherfield Six

Wild Camping adventures in Fisherfield - The Fisherfield Six

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:42 am

Route description: Fisherfield 6, from Shenavall

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Date walked: 27/07/2014

Time taken: 28 hours

Distance: 37 km

Ascent: 3000m

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fisherfield Six

These have been on the tick list for a long time-too long in fact.

Always waiting for perfect weather to head off in to “The Great Wilderness” and other commitments meant they are some of the last on my round to do. However a few days away with my brother and we decided the day before to go for the Fisherfield round, even though the forecast wasn’t looking like “perfect weather”.

Video report:

A wedding the evening before saw us leave relatively late arriving at Corrie Hallie around 11.30am. Bags on and we were off in overcast damp conditions. As we reached the high point in the walk in the heavens opened and I started to get worried about river levels and safe crossings given the heavy rain the day before. My worries were not too cause problems though as the levels were pretty low – think the dry weather the week before helped!! Two hours in and we were across the Albhainn Strath na Seagla and starting to climb the first peak – Beinn a’ Chlaidheimh.

We wanted a high wild camp to hopefully have a breeze to keep the midge away and also hopefully enjoy some views high up. This meant carrying the gear all the way round, so the going was relatively slow, in fact the midge were keeping a pace with us which was rather annoying!!! Anyways – we eventually reached the ridge line and a breeze picked up which was fantastic and kept the little blood suckers away!! The weather was also improving with the rain now off and the cloud starting to break up. The summit was reached about 16.00. Now onto the very rocky Sgurr Ban, a quick water refill and we trudged up the boulder field to reach the top. We felt ok but had been on the go for about six hours. We wanted to get to the summit of A’ Mhaighdean to camp but given a cut off time of eight to find a wild camp spot, we thought it would be a little too much to get round given the time we left the car at……

View from watering hole below Sgurr Ban:

ImageRainbow by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Leaving the rocky summit of Sgurr Ban:

ImageLEAVIN THE SUMMIT by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Next up was the highest peak on the round, Mullach Choire Mhic Fhearchair. There was a steep pull up this but the distance between this and Sgurr Ban was not too much. We were stood on the summit watching the cloud break around 19.00 hours. The weather was now fantastic, clouds were lowering and floating around the summits. The walk round to Beinn Tarsuinn was fantastic and the pull up its grassy slopes was not too bad. On arriving at the summit we were rewarded with some great Brocken Spectres cast below us – a brilliant way to finish the day.

ImageBRCKEN SPECTRE by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

It was now 30 minutes past our cut off time to find a camping spot but we soon found a nice spot not far from the summit of Beinn Tarsuinn (just before descending onto the ridge which takes you across the tennis court). The sun was shining and the views were amazing. Slioch in one direction, An Teallach in the other and all the glory of the Dundonnell and Fisherfield wilderness spread before us!! Not a bad place to spend the evening:

ImageSUN by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

However about 21.30 the cloud rolled in and the views disappeared. We hung around until about 22.30 hoping the fog would drop to give us an inversion, but it didn’t so we headed to bed.
I don’t usually sleep that well when camping and today was no exception. Lying staring at the top of the tent I noticed the light outside changing. I opening the door to see the cloud had now dropped and the views were fantastic. I quickly got up, didn’t wake my brother as he was snoring away, and headed to the summit in my underwear!!!! Sat taking pictures until about midnight then retreated back to the tent………

Imagenight sillos by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

3 hours ad 45minute later and I was again standing on the summit ( managed to get changed this time)!! The hills were clear and I was stood above the clouds. The views were once again amazing. A lone star was sitting just above Mullachs summit, I was later to find out this was likely to be Venus and not a star. It was the only shiny object in the sky though.

Venus- just about make it out!

ImageLONE STAR by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageLONE STAR3 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

The fog rolled about under my feet as I stood on the high perch of Tarsuinns Summit. Times like these live long in the memory- enjoying nature at its best when the rest of the world sleeps……

Dawn Photos:

ImageMIDDLE OF THE NIGHT by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagelooking east by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageMCMF 4 by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Imagepre dawn AT R by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImagePANO PITCH by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Sunrise was at 05.05 and it was looking like it was going to be a belter. However at 05.03 a band of fog rose up over the summit ad obscured the views!! Oh well – can't have it all your own way I suppose!! I went back to the tent and brewed up coffee and had my breakfast flap jacks. My brother rose and we were ready to go at about 06.15. On crossing the ridge in descent, the cloud cleared again lighting up the landscape to our south. Slioch looked immense – a great mountain from all angles!!

Slioch:

ImageSlioch by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

ImageSlioch morning light by mountains MJVW, on Flickr

Onwards to A’ Mhaighdean- one of the finest views in Scotland. Well, all we saw was the inside of a cloud. Same on Ruadh Stac Mor :( . The grand plan was to include the Beinn Deargs but the weather wasn’t looking great, and to be honest even if it had been good, we were both knackered!! We left the summit of Ruadh Stac Mor about 10.30 and eventually got back to Corrie Hallie about 15.45. Two river crossings, a treacherous bog and a 300 meter ascent is an adventure in itself!! Knackered, we decided to head home from Corrie Hallie. A fantastic adventure and my first unclimbed Munros this year – down to ten to go……….
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Wild Camping adventures in Fisherfield - The Fisherfield

Postby Mainser » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:15 pm

Outstanding - if this doesn't win report of the month there will surely need to be a stewards enquiry!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had intended doing just this route in a couple of weeks time sadly my partner has had to cry off so will have to be rescheduled.
Mainser
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   

Postby litljortindan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Nothing better than walking out of the mirk into clearing conditions, especially with the cloud and mist still hanging about below the summits and then to get that evening and morning must have been special. But then again I suppose there's nothing like walking out of clear conditions into the mirk! Great video yet again -really conveys the feeling of a weekend in the hills in mixed weather.

Are you delivering lectures and slide shows yet? Should be!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:42 pm

Great read Wiliemurray, the midnight underwear excursion had me laughing, the things you can do when your out in the wilderness alone.
It's truly a stunning place and although I can't see the pics (poor signal), I'll look when home, I can recall the images in my mind from my trip there, beautiful, you don't need posts, comments, or such like to remember the special things in life, they are free and stay with you forever :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm

Oops, Wilkiemurray, apologies
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:44 pm

Stunning, love the midnight photos, it can't have been cold, no camera shake :lol: :lol:

Seriously though a great report, and one that will encourage me and lots of others to get out there. Thanks :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Now I have seen the photos in all their glory, what a vista, simply stunning :clap: :clap:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Smashing - it's a great area in which to spend time especially when you get such a good sunrise and inversion as in your photos :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:23 am

Awesome, awesome, awesome. :shock: I really envy you this experience.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:57 pm

What a fantastic outing. Again an amazing set of photos in the changing light. Loved the inversions especially.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Mainser wrote:Outstanding - if this doesn't win report of the month there will surely need to be a stewards enquiry!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I had intended doing just this route in a couple of weeks time sadly my partner has had to cry off so will have to be rescheduled.

Thanks Mainser - good luck when you get round to it - its a belter :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:51 pm

litljortindan wrote:Nothing better than walking out of the mirk into clearing conditions, especially with the cloud and mist still hanging about below the summits and then to get that evening and morning must have been special. But then again I suppose there's nothing like walking out of clear conditions into the mirk! Great video yet again -really conveys the feeling of a weekend in the hills in mixed weather.

Are you delivering lectures and slide shows yet? Should be!

Thanks Litljortindan, - no lectures just yet lol :lol: make do with the Youtube videos :)

Was a relief to get dry conditions - one to make the river crossings easier and two for some great views :) shame we never got the final two summits clear - but that's the way it goes sometimes:)

Thanks

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Great read Wiliemurray, the midnight underwear excursion had me laughing, the things you can do when your out in the wilderness alone.
It's truly a stunning place and although I can't see the pics (poor signal), I'll look when home, I can recall the images in my mind from my trip there, beautiful, you don't need posts, comments, or such like to remember the special things in life, they are free and stay with you forever :D

:lol: I should have got a self time pose at the summit in my underwear - that's would have made an unusual (if unpleasant photo!!)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Stunning, love the midnight photos, it can't have been cold, no camera shake :lol: :lol:

Seriously though a great report, and one that will encourage me and lots of others to get out there. Thanks :D

Thanks Huff n Puff - the early morning photos - ones from the stars onwards I had the wee tripod with me and was playing with shutter speeds etc etc hence the nice clarity - although I also showed up the dust on my lens (should have wiped it clean!!). Had the phone camera and compact with me too - oh and also my trousers !! lol :lol:

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 pm

spiderwebb wrote:Now I have seen the photos in all their glory, what a vista, simply stunning :clap: :clap:

Thanks Spider webb- much appreciated

ATB
MuRRAY
wilkiemurray

19 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland