walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dhubh and Luskentyre Beach

Beinn Dhubh and Luskentyre Beach

Postby U059361 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:30 pm

Route description: Beinn Dhubh, Losgaintir

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Beinn Dhubh (Harris)

Date walked: 25/07/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 576m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is a little area to park the car after the kissing gate on a rise and corner of the road where the passing place on left is extra wide and the ground firm enough to get three cars parked. Walked back to gate and there is a faint path leading over to the start of the climb up the rocky slopes of the hill. I walked up the rocks as much as possible as they are rough with good grip when dry and at a good angle for walking up. I quickly overtook 2 Germans who were walking around all the rocks. A look at any picture lets you see that the slopes are over 75% rocks. Up onto the ridge and the walking is easier and dry under foot, mostly grass. Beinn Losgaintir has a big cairn on the summit and visible for miles. Great views all round here, over to North Harris hills and out over Luskentyre Beach itself. Had my lunch here. Just soaked up the sun and the view.
ImageLuskentyre from Beinn Losgaintir by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCeapabhal from Beinn Losgaintir by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
There is a drop to a bealach that is a bit wet, but soon climbing up on grass through the boulders to the top of Beinn Dhubh. A big rounded top means walking all round to get a view here, not like the first top.
ImageNorth Harris Hills to Tarbert by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageNorth Harris Hills to Huisinis by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Followed the path down to the crags before the steep drop to Luskentyre Beach. Now there are clear views ahead to Taransay and down to the beach.
ImageTaransay and Luskentyre by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The path drops steeply down towards the coast but is easily lost. I saw an old dyke further across the lower slopes over the burn and fence and headed that way instead. I cut the corner here as the dyke line took me directly to Luskentyre and was good walking being above the wet ground.
ImageTaransay by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
The old dyke meets the dyke along the shore just short of the gate to get down onto the beach, perfect route.
ImageLuskentyre Beach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I got down onto the beach. I took my boots and socks off and walked along the sand. Lovely :D
I then realised I could probably walk all the way back to the car on the beach as the tide was still out. So off I went.
ImageBeinn Dhubh from Luskentyre beach by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Round the corner and into the bay, the course of the water pushes you into the edge of some rocks. I had to clamber over seaweed and rocks at one small headland, the only time my feet left sand. It was much better than tramping along a hot dusty road. The car was only 30 metres away from the beach. Dried my feet and put the boots back on to finish the walk. Yes, another beach another paddle in the water. :wink:
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Re: Beinn Dhubh and Luskentyre Beach

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:35 pm

aaahh ...Luskentyre Beach ...Absolutely stunning ..will have to check this hill out next time I'm in Harris :D ..hope I get weather and views like you! Thanks for sharing
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Fantastic photos - Luskentyre beach has to be one of the loveliest on the planet. What a privilege to see it in this weather!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:34 pm

We walked this just the day before you, but your visibility was way better than ours. Great views. From a note that malky_c put on my TR on another site, I think he intends walking it from Tarbet :shock: :shock: :shock: when he gets round to it, but we were quite happy to do it the way you did.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby litljortindan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Some excellent photos. Particularly like the one with the line of clouds above Clisham and co.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland