walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:44 pm

Route description: Baosbheinn, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Baosbheinn, Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 21/07/2014

Time taken: 6.5 hours

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started from the Wee Red Shed which is Green and biked down the path to just beyond the Loch. This is a rough path and i'd recommend a good mountain bike if cycling this route. I left my bike at one of the large boulders before making my way over the the ridge, climbing Beinn an Eoin first. After the initial wee climb to the ridge it's a fairly easy walk to the summit but very steep on the descent. I headed for the bothy, which is locked, on my decent down steep rocky slopes and care in needed on this route which ever way you descend. Once down i headed up to Ceann Beag and followed the ridge as it curved its wayround and up and down to the summit of Baosbheinn. I returned to my bike via the north east ridge for the cycle out which was hairy stuff at times along some rocky terrain and was thankful to get back to the car in one piece without falling off.
Beinn an Eoin 002.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 003.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 005.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 006.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 009.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 010.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 011.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 012.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 013.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 014.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 015.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 016.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 017.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 018.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 020.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 021.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 022.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 023.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 024.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 025.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 026.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 029.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 030.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 031.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 032.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 pm

Nice one JC - my bike has just about given up the ghost- it started having problems after the rear mech was snapped on the descent from this very trip - definitely not one for a racer bike :lol:

Also remember the very steep descent to the bothy - not one I would fancy under snow!!!

Nice report as always

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 am

Saw this hill from Beinn Eighe and Alligin last week looks great :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:Nice one JC - my bike has just about given up the ghost- it started having problems after the rear mech was snapped on the descent from this very trip - definitely not one for a racer bike :lol:

Also remember the very steep descent to the bothy - not one I would fancy under snow!!!

Nice report as always

ATB

Murray
Thanks Murray. Yeah my bike took a fair battering on this one and was slipping gears when i took it out into the Fisherfields two days later. :(
Collaciotach wrote:Saw this hill from Beinn Eighe and Alligin last week looks great :clap: :clap:
Yeah two crackers Colla, will look out for your reports on Eighe & Alligin :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Looks 2 good ones :D

You no meant to wear sunglasses over your eyes :o
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:08 pm

mountain thyme wrote:Looks 2 good ones :D

You no meant to wear sunglasses over your eyes :o
Aye they are but it's a tough cycle, would only bike this if you've done mountain biking before and have a good quality bike. Sunglasses? only when the sun is shining :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 pm

Another good one, JC - have done lower walks and mountain biking up here but not up in the hills yet. Would agree on its being a tough track - have cycled up to Poca Buidhe in the past but did have to carry the bike on some rougher parts - so bumpy on the way down that my front wheel QR worked loose at one point and had to stop to tighten it before the wheel came completely loose :shock: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am

I used my bike for this as well. It definitely saved some time, but not that much - pretty rough going! Great hills.

I got a lift up the track to Loch Braigh Horrisdale (a little further west) on a quad bike for work last week. Even that was barely faster than walking!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm

I think I will walk it rather than risking my teeth :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a rubbish cyclist on rough paths.

Still to do these two and they look like a cracking pair of C's :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:50 pm

These two are on my list - as separate walks though. Definitely won't use the bike then - thanks for the advice. I believe they both provide great ridge walks.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 pm

rockhopper wrote:Another good one, JC - have done lower walks and mountain biking up here but not up in the hills yet. Would agree on its being a tough track - have cycled up to Poca Buidhe in the past but did have to carry the bike on some rougher parts - so bumpy on the way down that my front wheel QR worked loose at one point and had to stop to tighten it before the wheel came completely loose :shock: - cheers :)
Cheers, i read about you cycling this route and for some reason i thought you'd did the Corbetts :D
malky_c wrote:I used my bike for this as well. It definitely saved some time, but not that much - pretty rough going! Great hills.

I got a lift up the track to Loch Braigh Horrisdale (a little further west) on a quad bike for work last week. Even that was barely faster than walking!
Yeah it's the roughest track i've ever cycled :shock:
BlackPanther wrote:I think I will walk it rather than risking my teeth :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a rubbish cyclist on rough paths.

Still to do these two and they look like a cracking pair of C's :D
That's the smart way, i'm still shaking from the cycle :lol:
AnnieMacD wrote:These two are on my list - as separate walks though. Definitely won't use the bike then - thanks for the advice. I believe they both provide great ridge walks.
They are great ridge walks, Beinn an Eoin is nice and gradual and if doing on its own you will avoid the steep descent by returning down the ridge. As for Baosbheinn, its more up and down and the SMC book recommends continuing down the ridge to return back to the start. :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland