walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cateran Trail (Day 2) - Mucho scorchio!!!

Cateran Trail (Day 2) - Mucho scorchio!!!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Route description: Cateran Trail

Date walked: 24/07/2014

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 525m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Spittal of Glenshee to Kirkton of Glenisla

7.6 hours

If anything, today was even hotter than yesterday. Thankfully however, we faced the prospect of a shorter day down to Kirkton of Glenisla and, crucially, no prospect of missing out on a cold beer (or several) with our accomodation booked at the Glenisla Hotel and their sundrenched beer garden just waiting to welcome us!

This certainly turned out to be a more enjoyable day despite the increased heat, not just because there was no repeat of the navigational faux pas of Day 1, but because the scenery was generally more appealing.

A lovely leisurely lunch was had by the entrance to Dalnaglar Castle and a good 20 minutes or so were spent sitting by Loch Shandra watching the fishing, the swimming and the boating (some participants managing to carry it off with rather more grace and style than others!) The only real downer today came at Westerton of Runavey where we counted a total of 40 unfortunate critters carefully hung out on the barbs of a barbed wire fence. From the look of their front claws I'd have said they were moles but I may be wrong. This was even more gruesome (certainly in scale and tasteless display) than the garotted stoat-like creature that I had encountered in a trap on Geal Charn Mor a week or so previously! I get that a farmer may feel he needs to humanely cull a particular species to protect his llivelihood e.t.c., but why create such a bizarre, macabre and pointless spectacle out of it??? :crazy:

Anyway, a good day and the highlight of our CT experience, topped off with fine hospitality in the beer garden and the restaurant/bar of the Glenisla Hotel! I'd thoroughly recommend a stay, a meal or simply a beer or two in their beer garden of a nice hot day! 8)

IMG_1691.JPG
Setting off on another scorcher

IMG_1692.JPG
South along Glen Shee and a distant Mount Blair

IMG_1695.JPG
A tad muddy in places

IMG_1698.JPG
Back towards the Spittal and Ben Gulabin

IMG_1703.JPG
Hung out to dry!

IMG_1705.JPG
Monamenach

IMG_1709.JPG
Meall na Letter or Duchray Hill from near Invereddrie Farm

IMG_1711.JPG
One of many stiles today

IMG_1715.JPG
Dalnaglar Castle

IMG_1721.JPG
Junction of the B951 and the road to Meikle Forter

IMG_1722.JPG
Forter Castle

IMG_1724.JPG
River Isla

IMG_1726.JPG
North up Glen Isla

IMG_1727.JPG
Mount Blair from the track towards Auchintaple Loch

IMG_1729.JPG
Glen Beanie

IMG_1731.JPG
Auchintaple Loch and Mount Blair

IMG_1732.JPG
Glen Isla again

IMG_1734.JPG
Ornate waymarker

IMG_1736.JPG
Auchintaple forestry

IMG_1738.JPG
The other end of Auchintaple Loch

IMG_1740.JPG
Warning! Crock ahead!

IMG_1743.JPG
Loch Shandra

IMG_1746.JPG
Loch Shandra and that evil bugger Crock!

IMG_1750.JPG
We're saved! Beer is at hand!

IMG_1751.JPG
Settling in nicely!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Cateran Trail (Day 2) - Mucho scorchio!!!

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:36 pm

When I realised your summer "trail of death" would take you down to Kirkton of Glenisla I hoped you might have come across this chap.

Pheasent 17.jpg

Having found the portal to the summit of Crock I had passed Loch Shandra and was within sight of KofG when he appeared on the track and tried to peck my legs by running/launching himself at me whilst I tried to kick out at him to keep him at bay - ended up running down to the farm to get away from him.

I guess he could still be up there, waiting to jump out the next time I appear.

This section was my favourite when I did it 3 years ago, good scenery and nice easy tracks to follow.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Cateran Trail (Day 2) - Mucho scorchio!!!

Postby Graeme D » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:17 pm

I have been reliably informed that the moles strung out on the barbed wire fence are put there by the mole catcher so that the farmer can see what he's doing for his money.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes