walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Spidean a Choire Leith

Spidean a Choire Leith

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 08/02/2001

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1345m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Some time in February 2001 or 2002 on a perfectly still morning I am sweating my way up a snowy Liathach in what can only be described as balmy conditions. Lost the path a bit high up in the snow which led me into a quite precarious position whilst trying to recover. So there I am all tensed up because I realise I am in a sticky spot re. reversal and what do I do? Whip my camera out of course! What? I often think back to that moment and wonder why on earth I'd do such an illogical thing. No matter, I managed to clumsily slither back to safer ground and had an otherwise pleasant walk to Spidean. Apart from nervously traversing an obviously avalanche prone slope to "save time".
The summit was something else, the air crystal clear and such a strong contrast between the red and pink of morning, the blue of the sky and the white and blue of the snow. Skye and Ben Bhan were the clearest I have ever seen from such a distance.
I didn't have and don't have the skills or confidence to continue west from that point in the snow but it was still well worth the effort of climbing to that single point.

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Spidean a Choire Leith

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Ooooh, fantastic pics! Were the first two taken when you were in peril? I can't imagine losing the path up there - how on earth did you get back on track? There's not much room for making errors :problem:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:49 pm

Great set of photos :clap: Was happy enough walking these hills in late summer (despite the clag) but not at all sure I'd be so happy in snow ! - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:56 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Ooooh, fantastic pics! Were the first two taken when you were in peril? I can't imagine losing the path up there - how on earth did you get back on track? There's not much room for making errors :problem:

The first one is from the shoogly stance. I think retreating downwards must have brought me back on track because I don't recall further difficulties getting onto the ridge but a lot of the path was under fresh snow so difficult to pick out. After that first shoogly stance photo I came to my senses.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 pm

rockhopper wrote:Great set of photos :clap: Was happy enough walking these hills in late summer (despite the clag) but not at all sure I'd be so happy in snow ! - cheers :)

Glad you like them. I think that was a fair bit of soft snow on the way up but quite crispy and solid on the ridge.
litljortindan
Ambler

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland