walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two corbetts from Keiloch

Two corbetts from Keiloch

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag an Dail Bheag, Culardoch

Date walked: 20/07/2014

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 22.4 km

Ascent: 1002m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started this walk from Keiloch. Decided to take the bikes on this one. From Johnny Corbetts report i knew that i would be pushing the bike mostly uphill towards the corbetts but that the bikes would come in handy for the way back :D
Cycled from Keiloch where there is a huge parking area (£2. some east coaster paid :shock: ) and public toilets.
pic1.jpg
Starting Point

Cycled along the road towards Invercauld House.
Right behind Invercauld House, there is a signpost for Loch Builg. We followed this track. The track climbs steeply uphill through the forest and immediately i was quickly off the bike and pushing it uphill. The path continues up hill towards a gate and then towards the open forest, avoiding any right turn offs. I was on and off the bike on numerous occasions. We continued along the track downhill on one occasion and then left the bikes just passed the cairn at Carn Liath.
pic2.jpg
along the track

From here we continued walking steeply up the track. We then headed north east passing an argiculture research station.
pic5.jpg
Agriculture testing

From here we continued across some boggy ground and decided to leave this to regain the main track up towards Culardoch. There was a path faint in place all the way up heading east to the summit of Culdaroch.
pic7.jpg
Summit of Culardoch

We stopped for a quick summit pic and then retraced our steps back down towards the track.
pic8.jpg
Views from Summit

We headed south along the track, and left the the track at the cairn which is marked to ascend Carn Liath.
pic17start of corbett.jpg
Cairn marking Carn Liath

Here we stopped for lunch and then all of a sudden the heavens opened and it started to pour. We continued with lunch and the donned the waterproofs.

Becoming a fair weather walker would have happily headed back to the bikes at this point. However it made sense while we were here to continue with the 2nd corbett. We followed a path for 100metres and then headed south picking up a faint pathtowards the summit of Carn Liath.
pic10slowcoach.jpg
Stevie starting to struggle on his 2nd corbett

The path is good in places and leads to the summit of Carn Liath.
pic11HURRYUP.jpg
Hurry up Stevie :)

It was here that Baldfalcon started to lag behind.. not used to walking/cycling long corbetts.
Only used to climbing the big Pentlands! :lol:

After speaking to Johnny Corbett in the morning he informed me that the first summit is no longer the true summit and therefore we continued along the ridge 1km to the other summit incase JC was taking the mickey.
pic12.jpg
1st summit.....at last

pic14struggling.jpg
Whats keeping ye

pic15recovering+.jpg
Summit of Carn Liath

We retraced our steps back to the cairn and bikes and then cycled down hill back to the starting point. The path is very stoney and ive never concentrated as much on a bike in my life. Back to the car in 4hours 40mins... 4hours 50 mins for The Baldfalcon
picfinale.jpg
and in 2nd place !!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two corbetts from Keiloch

Postby Collaciotach » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:16 pm

Great stuff .... was here last week at Beinn Athfhionn and Beinn a Bhuird .....nice country :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:21 am

What 4.4hrs, then I saw the word Bikes, thought I was slowing up for a minute! :lol: You got a fine day for the two hills, good views from the summits, bet the ride back was fun :D I might just bump into you two some time if your heading up to the Aberdeenshire Corbetts :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3

Postby rockhopper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:11 pm

that looked good, MT - haven't been up here for a while, must try to remedy that - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:24 pm

Good to see you made it but according to your route map you never went to the summit so get back up there and get to the summit :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:45 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Great stuff .... was here last week at Beinn Athfhionn and Beinn a Bhuird .....nice country :D

Cheers Colla

The Rodmiester wrote:What 4.4hrs, then I saw the word Bikes, thought I was slowing up for a minute! :lol: You got a fine day for the two hills, good views from the summits, bet the ride back was fun :D I might just bump into you two some time if your heading up to the Aberdeenshire Corbetts :wink:

Cheers RM. The ride back was great. Hopefully see you soon on a walk :)

rockhopper wrote:that looked good, MT - haven't been up here for a while, must try to remedy that - cheers :)

Cheers RH. It was good apart from when it poured :?

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good to see you made it but according to your route map you never went to the summit so get back up there and get to the summit :lol:

Haha IT is not my strongpoint :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland