walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Introducing Scoob's Mrs...

Introducing Scoob's Mrs...

Postby Mrs Scoob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Affric), Mullach na Dheiragain, Sgùrr nan Ceathreamhnan

Date walked: 02/08/2014

Time taken: 11.1 hours

Distance: 30.3 km

Ascent: 1837m

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Formerly known as fipriestley, I thought about ‘Scoobs Mrs’ for my new pseudonym but he wasn’t keen on that public display of implied ownership :eh: :lol: … I’m still just Fi though! :D We didn’t make it up Schiehallion on our wedding day as planned so my ‘first’ Munro ended up being on the following day as we stayed at Strawberry Cottage with a few WH pals for the weekend - Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, immediately followed by Mullach nan Dheiragain and then An Sochach. The middle of this triplet was GillC’s 100th Munro :clap: :clap:
first summit.jpg
first summit as Scoobs Mrs ;)
Strawberry cheers.jpg
a mini-WH meet in Strawberry Cottage :)
Strawberry Cottage.jpg
Looking stunning! Of course just as we were leaving - poured with rain the day before! :D

As my first report in my shiny new account I thought I’d make this one public and share my ‘story’, more as general interest than a specific trip report as Gill’s got that covered :thumbup:

Realising my growing teenage boys no longer needed/wanted me to be a part of everything that they did (that was my choice in raising them – almost all my hobbies were theirs), I found myself looking for new interests. I tried a few things including bungee jumping and water skiing, but walking and the outdoors were always a big pull for me. So I asked work colleagues if I could join them on their next hill walk, thinking I was fairly fit through all my exercise classes and power walking. However 2 days before the planned walk I was whipped in to hospital for a minor op under general anaesthetic :shock: Getting out the next day, I went straight back to work… only to be told my job (also my main hobby!) was being made redundant :( I felt really well though – no pain, well rested and full of energy, so even more determined to tackle my first Munro.

Saturday 10th Sept 2011 – fipriestley’s first Munro (after much encouragement, given my cries of ‘go on without me’ and ‘get me on the way back’, and worries about bursting stitches!) was Beinn Tulaichean closely followed by Cruach Ardrain in the clag, high winds and driving rain! Here I realised that being generally fit just isn’t the same as being hill fit. Yet when we got back down to the landrover track I was ready for powerwalking again :lol: I also learned about what gear to get so I wouldn’t get soaked through to the skin again :roll: and heard about the Walk Highlands website, which I signed up for once I was home and dried off :thumbup:

Always up for a challenge, rather than putting me off completely, this walk made me so focussed and determined to become hill fit that it was almost 3 months later before I missed just one week in the hills! With the changes in my job my whole work-life balance shifted and I was fortunate to have very knowledgeable walking companions who were happy to let me tag along and learn from them :thumbup: I soon joined the Glenrothes Walking Club too :wave: and also learned a great deal there (especially from the Macdui walk!), from attending organised talks, navigation classes and winter skills training. Not replacing the walks with my work pals, this just meant that I was often out for 2 days in a weekend and my Munro count soon rocketed.

Meanwhile my confidence was building – I joined in with a walk organised by WH member Scoob, despite my son’s warnings about ‘lone female heads off to meet group of strangers in remote location’ :crazy: and even started going out walking on my own e.g. Vorlich Adventure.
meetup.JPG
meetup Fi reply.JPG

I continued to walk every week, sometimes on my own and sometimes with others and began building up some pretty tough routes e.g. Glen Lyon 4+1 and Forcan-SGS Ridges in prep for my fundraising 45-miler from Forres to Cairngorm (followed by brilliant week off!)

Scoob had also been building up his own bigger, tougher routes e.g. all 9 Fannichs leading to his 3 Bens Challenge which happened to be on the weekend of my first WH meet, in Braemar. We’d kept in touch since first meeting but always about hills really. With only a brief chat in the passing at this meet we arranged to walk the following week to catch up… and so began the adventures of Scoob and Fi, including our Compleation where Scoob proposed, and 2 years later we’re now the second couple to marry after meeting through Walk Highlands! :wave: to Scott & Michelle and a big :thumbup: to Paul & Helen for a fab site :clap:
with Paul.jpg
at WH summer meet 2014

So there we have it… very therapeutic, hill walking means all things to all people but I believe we all have to find our own reasons e.g. ‘it’s not a race’, or ‘you have to go back for the views’… don’t listen!! Decide for yourself :wink: For me, every walk is different and I always get something out of each one.

By walking in the hills every week I have seen some amazing scenery, overcome physical challenges, pushed out my comfort zone, built up even more confidence and belief in my instincts, become even more at peace with my own company and inner voice, learned to trust my own abilities more (bring on the river crossings! :lol: ), met lots of people, made many friends… and found my soul mate :angel: :-D :-D :-D
wedding day.jpg
1st August 2014 :)
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Introducing Scoob's Mrs...

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:05 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Mr & Mrs Scoob sounds just about right.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Nice one, Mrs Scoob - a very positive story and congratulations again :clap:
Oddly enough my wife and I were up in Fortingall for her xxth brithday and were on Schiehallion on the same Saturday - dry to start then the heavens opened as we neared the top :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 pm

congratulations, you both look great :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:18 pm

Nice one Mrs Fi..cracking photo of you and Stuart too..belated congratulations. :clap:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Nice one and good to see Scoob getting married in hillwalking boots :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Congratulations - you both look great!

Lovely story too. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby goth_angel » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 am

Congratulations! :D :clap: :D :clap:

Where was it you got married? Looks familiar but I can't place it.

I got into hillwalking by marrying a Scotsman (I'm English and we live in Kent). The new year after we got married he said he would like to climb 'a' Munro. I said something along the lines of don't be daft (I have a bad back following a serious injury some years ago). A few months later we did our first, Beinn Ime. Given where we live weekly walks aren't an option but we are steadily plodding through them.

I totally agree hill fitness is different! I'm not a small girl and get funny looks sometimes when people fund out what I do for a hobby. I'm not quick but I get there :lol:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby kazuhart » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:43 pm

What a lovely, romantic story :D Congratulations to the both of you :clap: Love your dress as well :wink:
kazuhart
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:18   

Postby GillC » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Smashing,,enjoyed reading that Fi. Once again, all the very best to you both for your future together.

I've just posted my report, later than normal so feel free to add anything I've missed out (memory aint what it used to be at my age lol)

:clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:56 pm

great story :D Fab dress! :clap: :D :D :clap:
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:13 pm

Great story and all the best to you both, and your boys :D :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mrssanta » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:44 pm

Congratulations to you both and here's to many more years of climbing hills together :-D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Tomsie » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:09 pm

Brilliant story :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:14 pm

Wonderful story, wonderful couple, and you summed it up, as to the reasons we walk, each finds something, something different, but no reason is wrong, its yours and yours alone. The mountains are a big pull, some don't get it and never will, their loss. For me, I find a peace in the wilderness, the hills, the glens, in all seasons, always have, is a part of my very soul, and in the walks I have shared with you both I can see its a part of both your souls too.

May I wish you the very best that life can offer, hope to see you both soon,
Love Dave (Spider)
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland