walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The need for speed -the Loch Lochy Munros

The need for speed -the Loch Lochy Munros

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:13 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 02/08/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1258m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunshine, warm temperatures and hardly any wind seemed to be the weather from Monday to Friday for most of July, followed my rain during weekends. :? :( I had hoped August would bring an improvement, but when yet again rain was forecasted for the weekend, my plans had to get altered. Checking 4 different kind of weather forecasting sites and my Munro map it looked as if the west would be dry until late Saturday afternoon - perfect for the 2 Loch Lochy Munros. :thumbup:

Good bye sunshine...during my drive up through Glencoe

The first clouds around the Ben

Spotted this on the camp site...hard core camping! Cool!

By the time I had packed my camping gear and met Lynne in Spean Bridge it was 8am. Low clouds were draped around the mountains and driving to the starting point, I had the sinking feeling that we would probably walk in the clag all day. :thumbdown: When we arrived we saw a car and a couple unpacking their bikes. Was that the car park? Undecided we decided to drive on and promptly without realizing it, ended up Great Glen Way :lol: :lol:
Realising our mistake we returned, while earning some funny looks from the couple now on their bikes...ups. 8) 8)

At Kilfinnan with views towards Loch Lochy

With the car parked and gear packed, we set off. Ok we did not set off, we stormed off in order to stay dry as long as possible.
The walk along the forest track was pleasant and we covered the distance to the track up the hill in no time. The path was steep in places, but a lot better than I had thought, considering we started at loch level. By the time we had reached the open hill site, clag covered the hills. Praying for the weather to improve, we moved on, but God must have been busy elsewhere, as a slight rain set in. Continuing the speedy ascent, by the time we reached the bealach ,we managed to catch up up with the couple on the bikes :D ..much to our amusement and their disbelief! 8) :lol:

Views back after the forest

The views ahead...not very promising

From the bealach the first Munro of the day was to be Meall na Teanga. A faint, yet easy to follow path lead us into the clag. With hoods deep in our faces we reached the cairn, took some photos and not wanting to linger ...(no views anyway) we walked down the hill with breakfast in our hands. When we stepped out of the clag, we realised that the views had improved a tiny bit and we had glimpses across the open moorland...rather stunning even with the rain, but we were sad to have missed the views from the top.

Lynne on the way up Meall na Teanga

Can this clag please lift?

At the first cairn

On the way back

It is still rather lovely

The zigzag path up the other site

Back down at the bealach Lynne asked me to lead the way up the next Munro. The zigzag up hill was great, but with rain and strong winds I stormed off maybe a bit too fast, as soon we were gasping for breath. We met the couple on bikes again, who still struggled with the fact that we over took them. :shock: :D Chatting with them about the fact that neither of us would have views on the next Munro, we moved along. The path disappeared close to the top and with thick clag we had to use the GPS to find the cairn. At the top 180C of clag could be admired, but at least the rain had mercy, as it stopped briefly. Time for lunch.
The cold wind and rain finally made up leave the summit and we both agreed that at some point we would have to get back to enjoy the views.

Still happy

At Munro number 2

The walk back down the hill was easy and we made good time. Looking back frequently to see if we could spot the couple on bikes (we could not) we reached the forest track and decided that they could not overtake us. Walking back to the car, we must have broken every record in speed walking :thumbup: :thumbup: and sweaty and soaked we reached the cars 6h after setting off...without being overtaken haha. During our drive back to Spean Bridge the heavens opened and it started to chuck it down. Over a huge pot of coffee in the Spean Bridge Hotel, we congratulated ourselves, as least we had missed most of it and hopefully the next time the weather would improve.

It might rain...but it could not dampen our spirits :-)
Last edited by Mountainlove on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The need for speed -the Loch Lochy Munros

Postby goth_angel » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Nice report - these are high on the to do list though I think I will wait for a view!! :lol:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:52 pm

Pity about no views but it's better than having a workout in the gym. That was an impressive speed for those two! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby AnnieMacD » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 pm

Love the first two photos. It's amazing how quickly the weather changes and it never seems to dampen your spirits!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby razzah » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:02 am

I walked these 2 hills a month or so ago and had the same conditions as you experienced :problem: Was a bit gutted as occasionally the clag lifted to reveal potentially tremendous views. A walk I would love to repeat in fine weather I think.
razzah
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:22   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:16   Islands:36

Postby MunroMadMen » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Great report and brill pics, as per the norm ML

G :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:41 am

goth_angel wrote:Nice report - these are high on the to do list though I think I will wait for a view!! :lol:

Yes certainly wait for the views!!

dogplodder wrote:Pity about no views but it's better than having a workout in the gym. That was an impressive speed for those two! :wink:

Lol many thanks! As for the workout- jep the hills beat the gym every time!!

AnnieMacD wrote:Love the first two photos. It's amazing how quickly the weather changes and it never seems to dampen your spirits!

I find it hard to be miserable up a hill... :D it always beats just sitting at home!

razzah wrote:I walked these 2 hills a month or so ago and had the same conditions as you experienced :problem: Was a bit gutted as occasionally the clag lifted to reveal potentially tremendous views. A walk I would love to repeat in fine weather I think.

At least you had some glimpses...I think the most exciting view was Lynne bag of Jelly Babies that day :lol:

MunroMadMen wrote:Great report and brill pics, as per the norm ML
G :)

Many thanks :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby summerhill » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Hope to do these two this weekend, probably Sunday. 6hrs is a good time i'll be happy with 7hrs.
summerhill
Munro compleatist

Munros:276   

Postby TanyaHutch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:30 pm

:clap: Love this report, quite new to the Munro game. This has given me confidence it will be a lovely couple to conquer when the weather is good. Thank you for the photos too :D
TanyaHutch
Rambler

Munros:1   

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland