walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Stri evening inversion of sorts

Sgurr na Stri evening inversion of sorts

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Strì

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Sgùrr na Strì

Date walked: 14/09/1994

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 497m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The date is a guess but it was certainly early to mid September 1994 when I made the first and best of five ascents of Sgurr na Stri.
Walked in from Kilmarie and the first pleasant surprise was the sight of the Cuillin just above the Am Mam bealach. The next was the wonderful view from the high point of the path down over Camasunary Bay with the Cuillin behind.
I had a quick look in at Camasunary en route, to drop off sleeping bag etc. and had a quick chat with a couple of guys doing bothy maintenance. The sound of hammering followed me quite far up the hill on a direct scramble up the east side but faded to nothing by the half way point. It was a fine evening, I thought to myself, and not a bad view. That got even better at the first of the twin summits. I had no idea that the view over Coruisk from the other would be quite so stupendous though. No interweb in those days so the walk was inspired purely by a look at the map and knowing there was a bothy there .
I clambered over to summit 2 and stood astounded by the yawning space below, the mist boiling in the corrie above the loch, the sunlight slanting down onto the water, the Black Cuillin strung out across the sky. Utterly astonishing. But maybe something of an illusion too; never quite so impressive on any of the subsequent visits.
Made my way back down filled with excitement at what I'd seen and arrived at an empty bothy. Greeted in the early morning by a field mouse sitting near the top of my rucksack. I looked at it and it looked at me for a few seconds before running off...

Last edited by litljortindan on Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Sgurr na Stri evening inversion of sorts

Postby rockhopper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Nice photos - haven't been here yet but this is one hill which I really want to walk some time and camp if possible - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Sgurr na Stri evening inversion of sorts

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:23 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice photos - haven't been here yet but this is one hill which I really want to walk some time and camp if possible - cheers :)

Would make a great evening/morning if you got the weather.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland