walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two corbetts from Hell. I mean from Glenfinnan

Two corbetts from Hell. I mean from Glenfinnan

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Odhar Bheag and Beinn Mhic Cedidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Cedidh, Beinn Odhar Bheag

Date walked: 09/08/2014

Time taken: 6.4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1337m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Camped in Mallaig on the Friday night and hoped to tackle the Rum corbetts on the Saturday.

After a couple of drinks in the Steam inn and a couple of vinos back the campsite we made a decision that if the weather looked poorly on the Saturday, then we would leave the Rum hills for a better day and instead climb the two corbetts at Glenfinnan. We had tackled the aonachs, CMD and Nevis on the Friday and got drenched.

Set the alarm for 630am and I was up as bright as a button as the alarm went off ! Unfortunately the Rum cuillins were covered in clag and the weather looked grim. The decision was therefore made to stay in Glenfinnan and walk.
P1040392.JPG
Starting Point

Parked in a layby on A830. Made some bacon butties at the start of the walk.
P1040393.JPG
Layby

Climbed over a gate, then over a bridge and crossed the railway line. Tended to follow the Walkhighlands route for this walk. We picked up a faint path and headed West South West to the north west slopes of Beinn Odhar Mhor.
P1040395.JPG
Heading up Beinn Odhar Mhor

P1040398.JPG
choo choo Jacobite Train

This was pretty boggy in places and at one point i was up to nearly my waist in water. One left leg went down a hole and as I quickly tried to save myself my right knee went under too.
P1040399.JPG
Up to the ridge

This was quite a slog up to the ridge, but when we reached the ridge the views over to Beinn mhic Cedidh were impressive. From the ridge we headed south east across the broad ridge towards Beinn Odhar mhor.
There were lots of ups and downs along this broad ridge and it seemed forever before we reached Beinn Odhar Mhor.
P1040401.JPG
Up the broad ridge towards BOM

P1040405.JPG
Beinn Odhar Mhor

As we reached Beinn Odhar Mhor it started to pour for a few minutes and then cleared. Took a quick pic at the remains of the trig point. At this point it started to pour again and this time with hail stones. We sheltered for a few minutes until it went off and then headed south taking in a slight scramble at parts and continued south up towards the summit of the first Corbett of the day Beinn Odhar Bheag.
P1040408.JPG
over to Bheinn Odhar Bheag

Heading along this ridge up to the Corbett made up for the relentless walk up to Beinn Odhar Mhor as the ridge was pretty impressive.
P1040409.JPG
Loch Shiel

P1040410.JPG
Loch Shiel

The views towards Streap, Glenfinnan and down towards Loch Shiel were stunning from the summit of Beinn Odhar Bheag. Reached the summit in 3 and a half hours from the start!
P1040411.JPG
Stevie in the far distance. time for 40 winks whilst waiting

P1040412.JPG
Summit of Beinn Odhar Bheag

P1040413.JPG
Glenfinnan Monument

Refuelled with some chocolate and then continued north west down towards the Bealach a’ Choire Bhuidhe, finding a faint path on occasions. From here we climbed steeply up towards the summit of Beinn Mhic Cedidh.
P1040415.JPG
Summit of Beinn Mhic Cedidh

We stopped for a summit picture and then headed north. Initially I found this a pleasant walk down towards the lochan.
P1040418.JPG
down the north ridge

P1040419.JPG
lochan

The walkhighlands route suggested heading WNW I think, however we continued north and very steeply down the hillside and aiming to pick the track up and followed this to the bridge over the Allt a Coire Bhuidhe. Would not recommend this route as it was extremely steep and the walk back was very boggy in places and involved trodding through deep grass with hidden holes!
P1040420.JPG
back to the ridge... not the way to go

P1040421.JPG
My new boots ! Arrrggghhhh

P1040422.JPG
The bridge and onto the path

Once over the bridge we followed the path and headed back towards the road and towards the starting point on the layby. We never stopped much at all on these ones and noticed other reports stating they managed these 2 in 5 hours. We reached the car in 6 hours 40 mins!! Im blaming climbing the aonachs, CMD and Nevis the previous day. Beautiful views but two hills I wont be repeating any time soon :(
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Two corbetts from Hell. I mean from Glenfinnan

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:21 am

Aye, it's a steep descent that route from Beinn Mhic Cedidh.
Took us just under 6 hours so I think your time pretty reasonable considering the previous day's efforts :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:50 am

some fine views there :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:15 am

It's not about time, it's about enjoying it to the full... Even if it means bog-swimming.

I will definitely take my snorkel when I go up these two :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Shug » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:45 am

BlackPanther wrote:It's not about time, it's about enjoying it to the full... Even if it means bog-swimming.

Exactly! I've lost count of the people I see, heads down, charging for the summit and off again having tapped the cairn and not paid the slightest bit of attention to all the views on offer.
Each to their own n all, but whats the point?
MT, nice to see you christened your new boots good and proper :lol:
Shug

Munros:10   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:47 pm

Looks good if a tad :roll: boggy at times, MT - hope you got your new boots cleaned :wink: Another trip to add to my ever growing list 8) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:13 pm

Good effort guys. I remember this walk well and the ascent to the first one. 6hrs 40 is a good time MT, for an auld girl like yourself :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:27 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Aye, it's a steep descent that route from Beinn Mhic Cedidh.
Took us just under 6 hours so I think your time pretty reasonable considering the previous day's efforts :D

Cheers Weaselmaster. Im blaming the previous days efforts anyway :D

SAVAGEALICE wrote:some fine views there :D

Cheers SA. Not the best of cameras too :(

BlackPanther wrote:It's not about time, it's about enjoying it to the full... Even if it means bog-swimming.

I will definitely take my snorkel when I go up these two :wink:

True re the time BP. :D

Shug wrote:

Exactly! I've lost count of the people I see, heads down, charging for the summit and off again having tapped the cairn and not paid the slightest bit of attention to all the views on offer.
Each to their own n all, but whats the point?
MT, nice to see you christened your new boots good and proper :lol:

Cheers still to clean them :shock:

rockhopper wrote:Looks good if a tad :roll: boggy at times, MT - hope you got your new boots cleaned :wink: Another trip to add to my ever growing list 8) - cheers :)

Cheers RH. IS that you going for the corbetts now :D

Johnny Corbett wrote:Good effort guys. I remember this walk well and the ascent to the first one. 6hrs 40 is a good time MT, for an auld girl like yourself :wink:

:lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:22 am

Lol had to laugh about the muddy boots shot...did the same with my brand new boots...rather annoying . Otherwise well done and crossing two of the list (and adding them to the ...Must never visit again list ) :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:23 pm

I can empathise about the boots - but not that they were brand new. I guess you can't return them now :lol: With all the rain in August the whole of the Highlands is one big bog!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland