walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Welcome to the jungle

Welcome to the jungle

Postby Fife Flyer » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 13/08/2014

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 955m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Welcome to my report (nothing to do with Guns n Roses) on a tough day out in the west, weather could have been better, in fact much better :lol:
The intrepid explorers for the adventure were Cat (cmarcol) & Simon (simon-b), Simon was back north of the border for yet another 2 week holiday :lol: One big difference with his holiday this time is the weather, instead of bringing warm dry weather, he has dragged up wet, wild & windy weather - named by the meteorologists as Hurricane Bertha :lol:
Simon posted his 'wish list' prior to crossing Hadrian's Wall, unfortunately it has not started off very well, those of us lucky enough to live in Scotland can only offer our sympathies to our fellow walkers :(
The plans for the walk were hatched via pm's with an invitation posted to all about 3 days before the walk, but sadly no one else fancied our company :lol:
I had arranged to pick Cat up at 7am but as usual I was early again, sorry :roll: Arrangements were made to meet Simon in Tarbet at the hotel at the road junction, it seemed the obvious place as Simon was staying in Killin & coming south down the side of Loch Lomond from the north & we were coming from the far east & heading north from Balloch.
We met at 8.30am & decided to leave Simon's car in the car park opposite the hotel & travel in one car. We struggled to find the parking area as described by WH & abandoned/parked the car in a layby on the tarmacadam road that is actually the start of the WH route.
After a brief huddle we decided our route, I wasn't really much use at this stage as I had forgotten my map & compass :oops: Cat had 2 compass's which were giving slightly different readings, so after checking with Simon's compass the dodgy one was left in the boot :lol:

DSCF5771.JPG
The way ahead, note the lowish cloud

DSCF5770.JPG
Looking back

DSCF5772.JPG
The locals tucking into breakfast

We were planning to follow the WH route to the letter, so the first 7km were along an excellent tarmac'd road, had I been doing this walk alone I would definitely have brought my bike. The 7km took about 70 mins whereas using a bike you could probably do it in 20 mins, give or take a few minutes :lol:
That part of the walk was very pleasant, the road was almost flat & gave us a good chance to have a good chat :wink:
Once past the old house on the left, we then left the road/track & headed uphill, we knew and expected the conditions underfoot to be a bit 'damp' but it turned out to be much wetter than I certainly anticipated :o

DSCF5776.JPG
This is the point where we headed uphill, Simon taking a photo of the way ahead, Cat looking at the undergrowth

The trudge uphill was not very pleasant, not only was it muddy & slippy underfoot, but the bracken which was shoulder high was wet, so we took it in turns to be leader & get a bit of a soaking :lol:

DSCF5784.JPG
The ascent through the jungle

Hopefully Simon will post one of his photo's which highlights the depth of the bracken :lol:
After about 10 mins heading uphill we spotted some fellow walkers following us who we would meet later.

The ascent up to Meall an Daimh on a nice dry day after a dry spell would be very enjoyable, but after the recent deluge all the vegetation and rocks were damp and great care had to be taken :wink:

DSCF5783.JPG
A scrambling demonstration

DSCF5790.JPG

DSCF5796.JPG
Nearing the summit in the clag

Once we reached about 600m we entered the cloud which meant the camera remained tucked away :(
The path was easy to follow all the way to the summit, even I couldn't lose it :lol: However the majority of the path was like a small burn :shock:

DSCF5803.JPG
Summit photo

Shortly after leaving the summit we met up with the 3 chaps we had seen following in our footsteps, so we stopped for quite a lengthy chat. One thing we discussed was the descent route, they were planning to return the same way, which have been even less fun than the ascent. We advised them of our plans & showed them on the map & a print out of the WH descent. A few photo's taken on the way down.

DSCF5806.JPG

DSCF5808.JPG
Interesting peat hag

DSCF5812.JPG
Looking down onto the abandoned semi-derelict house

DSCF5816.JPG
The River Fyne meandering towards Loch Fyne down the glen

DSCF5826.JPG
A few obstacles on the way back to the car

DSCF5832.JPG
She wasn't for moving, we had to pass her by on the grass

The walk back along the road was a bit of a chore, not only were there a couple of hefty showers, we were passed by the 3 guys we met earlier, they had cycled in & passed us in dribs and drabs :lol:
Our feet were becoming a bit tender and the walk along the road seemed to take an awful lot longer than the walk in. Not long after passing the Loch Fyne brewery we were passed by the 3 guys again, they even had time for a pint before we reached the car :lol: :lol: The moral of that is anyone thinking of tackling this walk, try & take a bike :wink:
Thank you to Cat & Simon for what was another great day out courtesy of WH :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Welcome to the jungle

Postby rockhopper » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:59 am

The bracken does seem worse this year than normal. Definitely one for the bike but, looking on the bright side, you saw more than me :roll: and it looked an enjoyable trip for all - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:27 am

Your day is all so familiar to when i did this walk. Wet muddy path, overgrown bracken, wet legs, no views for me and then the herd of Highland coos. :( I did however use my bike :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Excellent report Martin as usual with some quality pictures, looks like you guys had a great day :)
MunroMadMen
Munro compleatist

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:07 pm

still to do this one Martin ..will defo try and take my bike! I saw your post and would have loved to have joined you guys but unfortunately was working :( :( !
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby simon-b » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:37 pm

I've been looking forward to this report Martin. An accurate description of our day. Actually, I did enjoy the ascent, despite the bracken and wet ground. It was really nice to meet Cat, and I look forward to walking with either or both of you again.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby PeteR » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:34 pm

A good effort :clap:

Took me three attempts to bag this one. It just seemed to get inside my head. Sadly I had the same summit views as you did too :(

It's a Fyne brewery though, and well worth a pint (or two :D )
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Backpacker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Nice one Martin, this is on next years to do list
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks for the kind comments :wink:

Apologies to Cat & Simon, just realised I forgot to include a map :oops: :oops: Will start doing my 100 lines :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby scottishkennyg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:35 pm

Nice day there FF , and captured well in the images. Know what you mean about the bracken..I get worried that the ticks are waiting underneath to pounce onto another host!!
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby cmarcol » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 pm

scottishkennyg wrote:Nice day there FF , and captured well in the images. Know what you mean about the bracken..I get worried that the ticks are waiting underneath to pounce onto another host!!

If it makes you feel any better I've had 8 ticks this year and, despite my numerous misadventures with bracken, none of them were caught in bracken!

I'm going to start reading more about the vegetation before I come on walks with you Martin! This is the second welcome to the jungle I've had this summer! :lol:

Enjoyed the day very much!
cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Martin, when I get home I'll post a photo of you both in the bracken, and I recorded the route on GPS, so I'll post a map too.

Cat, talking about two ventures into the jungle, I enjoyed Wednesday's so much, I did Ben Cruachan and Stob Diamh the next day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:54 pm

simon-b wrote:Martin, when I get home I'll post a photo of you both in the bracken, and I recorded the route on GPS, so I'll post a map too..

Thanks Simon that will then back up the title for the walk, especially as my photo's of the bracken didn't really do it justice :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Postby cmarcol » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:31 pm

Cruachan was mildly better than Wednesday bracken wise but still good on you for braving it :clap:

Only photos I have that are a bit different.

cmarcol
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:22
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:07 am

cmarcol wrote:
scottishkennyg wrote:Nice day there FF , and captured well in the images. Know what you mean about the bracken..I get worried that the ticks are waiting underneath to pounce onto another host!!

If it makes you feel any better I've had 8 ticks this year and, despite my numerous misadventures with bracken, none of them were caught in bracken!

I'm going to start reading more about the vegetation before I come on walks with you Martin! This is the second welcome to the jungle I've had this summer! :lol:

Enjoyed the day very much!

8 ticks this year, and I was moaning because I got my first ever :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland