walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gales, wilderness, bothies and a mad woman in the Cairngorms

Gales, wilderness, bothies and a mad woman in the Cairngorms

by Mountainlove » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:25 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Macdui, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 15/08/2014

Time taken: 14.5 hours

Distance: 42.1 km

Ascent: 2333m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Gales, wilderness, bothies and a mad woman in the Cairng

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:17 am

@ Scoobica : That wind will not leave my memory for a looong time :D

@ scottishkennyg: Oh I did stayed in the bothy for a while, just not the whole night

@ AnnieMacD : Many thanks! I kind of expected them cold as well :lol:

@ Shug: Have a look at the link further below...one of the 3 students took a picture of my tent (Coleman Riegel X2)

@ londonwalker: Many thanks...still trying my best darts callers voice to say the 180 8)
Looking forward to return to the hills up there for some more big rounds :D

@ Beaner001: Thank you . Had to laugh about the "i'd have been into the bothy like a rat up a drain pipe!" Think if it would have started raining, that would have been me :lol:

@ Essan: Of at least it was dried out thoroughly from the inside 8) . Might have been even :lol: +40 inside

@ Caberfeidh : Thank you. The midges were only bad during my first night in Glenshee. Up high there was none. :thumbup: The hut is certainly gale proof now :D Thanks for the information about the loch!

@ cmarcol: As by being alone I meant up the hills :) The group I have certainly missed. Clueless of how to tackle the damage? It wasn't that bad! Thank you regarding the cairn and that it is easily missed 8) Not the first time that this happened to me :lol:

@rockhopper Many thanks :D

@shibuyaku: Hello again :wave: :wave: Lol you made my first stay at a bothy a memorable one! Will be disappointed when the next one does not have the same heat 8) :lol:
Thank you so much for the photo! :thumbup: I never took one and it is a great reminder of that night!
Lucky that you had views from the summit the day before I went up there and hopefully for your next trip you will get the great weather you have been waiting for!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!

@ MunroMadMen : Thank you...sometimes it is great to have a long and hard day out in the hills...it makes the easier ones so much more enjoyable.

@spiderwebb: Lol you as well? Strange how some walks look soo much easier ...on a map...in your living room 8)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:14 am

Wonderful report - we were in the same area at the end of June, could see less than you did, but didn't have to contest the wind. Your description of summiting Derry Cairngorm was riveting :D

Sauna versus tent - no brainer really :lol: :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Ibex » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Another great and entertaining report, with great pictures, as always ML. :clap:
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Another fair wee adventure for you there and meeting some crazy folk along the way, what more could you want :lol: Good to see your tent withstood the elements as i have a Coleman tent similar to yours, mines is the Bedrock 2. I keep telling myself to do a wild camp with it but just can't convince myself, maybe one day :?
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:01 pm

I read this the first time and got to the end thinking I had missed the bit where you met a mad woman. Then I read it again and only then did the penny drop! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Epic stuff. Glad you have experienced the Hutchison Sauna. Kevsbald and I had a night in there back in May and I spent most of the night lying on top of my sleeping bag with only a t-shirt and shorts on! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:01 pm

Gripping stuff - well up to the usual ML standard. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:16 pm

well done you . the very same happened to me coming from Ben MacDui towards Derry cairngorm with a full pack- got blown over and landed on my knees. i was convinced that i broke my knee cap :(
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:25 am

Excellent report Maja
I think you get madder as you get braver
Really enjoyed that :clap:
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

@ CarltheViking: I had thought about Carn a' Mhaim, but then thought it would be a very easy and lovely Munro to do while camping in the glen of dee (as an easy day)
Looking back I am glad I didn't as with the winds up Derry Cairngorm, I would not have fancied to go the same way back, so I guess it worked out at the end.

@Huff_n_Puff , Ibex , dogplodder and Scotjamie...Many thanks for your comments! :D

@Johnny Corbett, as long as it is a lovely day go ahead! Saying that I just bought myself a sturdier one man tent, as I do not fancy to repeat that night! 8) :thumbup:

@Graeme D: Lol I think the boys did the same. Never had thought to bring shorts for a night in a bothy :lol:

@mountain thyme: Urgh glad you didn't when it happened...scary stuff
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby CarltheViking » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 am

We all need easy days from time to time. Trouble is living in Birmingham with so many miles to travel before the walking can start!
CarltheViking
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:16   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:165
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:35 am

Sounds like one to be added to the "best 'not turning back' stories" :clap: :clap: :clap:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39352

I obviously walk the highlands far too infrequently ... touch wood, I've never encountered conditions like you describe.

Some really great pics. I'd never fancied the Cairngorms - they seemed really quite dull. This has definitely changed my mind.

You must have NASA gear: your pack seems about the same size as my day pack :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:38 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Sounds like one to be added to the "best 'not turning back' stories" :clap: :clap: :clap:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39352

I obviously walk the highlands far too infrequently ... touch wood, I've never encountered conditions like you describe.

Some really great pics. I'd never fancied the Cairngorms - they seemed really quite dull. This has definitely changed my mind.

You must have NASA gear: your pack seems about the same size as my day pack :(

Oh I was the same...never fancied the Cairngorms until I saw them and thought wow. As for the 'Best not turning back story...think I have a worse one to tell (report will follow soon)
Wish I had NASA gear lol...my backpack is currently 14 - 14.5 kilos, but it all packs down quite a bit :-)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Old Bill » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:54 pm

Brilliant write-up ML!

Well done in the wind - but what the heck were they burning in the Hutchy stove?! No trees for miles!!

Really whetted my appetite now, should be doing a similar walk in September. Hope my legs can match yours :-)

OB
Old Bill
Wanderer

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Rushgers » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi

I was looking Copy your walk how accurate are your Way points looks great :D :D . Any tips for this walk ?

Cheers Alan
Rushgers
Munro compleatist

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:3

Postby Emmanuelle » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:45 pm

Geez, that was some trip. Brilliant! I loved the colours in your pics and the nice bit of suspense inching up to the summit of Derry Cairngorm. When I stayed at the hut it was winter, minus 15 and gusting as well. We'd skied down from Ben Macdui with head torches under a vault of big fat stars and we carried no fuel to feed the stove :lol:
Emmanuelle
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:78
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:4   
Wainwrights:1   

32 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland