walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All hail the pinn

All hail the pinn

Postby basscadet » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 19/08/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1078m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So day 2 on Skye and Dougie had booked us in with a guide to do the Inn Pinn. meant an early start from the memorial hut, so we parked the van at the bridge not far away for the night.. Still managed to be late though :lol:
There were 4 others also in the group, all nice folk :)

InnPinn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The path was the same one as yesterday for a while, past the big gorge with the waterfall..

but this time taking the right hand fork, and heading up to the ridge on the right. Jonah the guide set an unrelenting pace, but I only go so fast, and the rest of the group seemed happy enough to go with my pace. :wink:

There were several other groups out to do the pinn as well, and because we were larger in numbers, we got a couple of breaks to let them go in front.. Guides etiquette I guess.. :)
We were soon on the steeper ground, the odd shower threatening, and some fearful gusts. Jonah said that it may be that we wouldn't get to go up. :shock:

just as my legs were nearing exhaustion, we reached the top of the steep bit and flatter ground beyond. We reached a rockier section and got the safety mumbo-jumbo talk, put on our harnesses, and got a brief lesson on scrambling as we made our way up a wee chimney.
We got our first views of Corrie Laggan, always brilliant :D even in the rain :?

Then we got our first views of the Pinn 8)

A fun traversing path took us over, several of the groups in front still going over, so we sat at the top of Sgurr Dearg and waited. Wind was strong & baltic!

Eventually it was our turn and Dougie and I were nominated to be int he first of 2 groups. We made our way down to the bottom of the Pinn, Jonah somewhat irritated by the length of time the group in front was taking. He roed us up and set off himself. i was first on the rope, but the rock in front looked really quite easy so I was feeling very confident. I started up, Dougie just a few metres behind. Up the easy bit, then crossed over, and we were on the main spine. Jonah had told us what to do at the crux, but I wasn't exactly sure what he meant, but didn't find any troubles, apart from one moment where the holds were so good I just used a bit of friction.

half way up, I met Jonah, who clipped me onto a sling, and after the other had got on the ledge, he scampered off up the rocks like Golem :lol:
Soon the rope was tight and it was my turn to go again, but it was all easy stuff. The ridge is so narrow you can fit your arms right round, which gives a brilliant sense of security to counteract the exposure 8)

Then we were at the top, some of the party in front still not down. Gave us a few moments to enjoy the top :D

We made our way down to the lower ledge and waited a couple of minutes for Jonah to set up the rope for the down part.. I've been scared of abseiling ever since an incident on a brick tower as a teenager, so i wasn't really looking forward to it much, but another hail shower hit and being pelted, cold and wet, fair took my mind off it as I went over the edge. Just wanted to get to my rucksack and extra clothing.. :lol:
Dougie was next

He made it down safe, the weather showing no sign of relenting. Everything had turned rather slippery, and I didn't envy the nextt group that had to go over.. They managed fine, as we waited, getting colder by the moment.. :?
There had been talk of going up Mhic choinnich but that idea was shelved and we practically ran back the way we came, hardly stopping all the way down.

Another braw day out in the Cuillin, but weather looked like it would be closing in for the next couple of days :(
Last edited by basscadet on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: All hail the pinn

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:10 pm

Good on you :clap: :clap: Shame you didn't get a better day - like today :( Really like the photo of the two of you at the top - sweet!

I admire anyone who has the guts to abseil down that rock.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby jonny616 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:12 pm

We'll done you two :clap:

Your pics capture it well almost too well,. I'm holding out on it being demoted :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 pm

oh well done you!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby simon-b » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:01 pm

A great adventure, well described, BC. I too once had a frightening moment as a teenager when abseiling, so can empathise. Well done for getting back down ok.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mgmt! » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:07 pm

well done basecadet and dougie, you both do lots of scrambling on your walks, i wouldnt have thought for a minute you would have any problems with the inn pinn. :clap: :clap:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Well done to the two of you!! Also really like the picture of the two of you at the top :D Looking forward to do the In Pin when the time comes :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Excellent achievement and report BC and Dougie
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:13 pm

Gle mhath a caileag :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby basscadet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks everyone 8)

For those that havnie been - it ain't nearly as scary as it looks, almost a shame to finally do it and shatter the illusion tbh :?

Only a few new munro's left to do.. getting depressed about it.. :( I thought maybe i could invent a machine to pump the sea into space to get some hills promoted? :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby PeteR » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:38 pm

I've yet to see a photo of that annoying slither of rock that gives me confidence I can do it. So thanks.............I've still to see a picture of that annoying slither of rock that gives me confidence I can do it :lol: :shock: :roll:

It does look a fun day though.......well done on the two of you getting it bagged :clap:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland