walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Back on the Aonach Eagach with a London Geezer

Back on the Aonach Eagach with a London Geezer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 26/08/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Andy ( Londonwalker ) had text me to say he was heading back to Scotland for ten days and asked if i fancied joining him on a walk. So after a few texts he said he fancied doing the Aonach Eagach ridge on the Tuesday. Ok so i had done this walk before but was more than happy to accompany Andy on this as reason one it's a superb walk and secondly i wouldn't like to have attempted this for the first time on my own. We set off at 08.15 with the weather not looking too promising with the wind picking up and clag getting blown over from Rannoch Moor but as we were about to start the ridge it started to clear. We could now see what lay ahead and we headed along the ridge to the first obstacle, the down climb which gave us no problems with numerous foot and handholds. Once down we continued along the ridge, taking pictures as we went and enjoying the views. I got a similar day to this when i first done the ridge and it was great for Andy to enjoy such a fine day on this walk. I think he was loving it. After some more wee scrambles we got to the chimney which is straightforward enough and then some more wee scrambles before we came to the crazy pinnacles. When i did this walk the last time we took the bypass path and back then it was wet and muddy in places and i'd say it was the dodgy bit of the walk that day. Initially i had started heading the bypass path and soon realized this was the same way i went the last time so said to Andy and we headed back up. We got up and looked for a way onto the crazies, noticing a smooth large slabbed rock to the left with few holds on it but plenty of crampon marks. I didn't fancy this way and saw a route up just to the right of the slab which involved a pull up and then some climbing to get up the pinnacles. This was the dodgiest part of the walk for us but still felt great as we made our way over the pinnacles. Once we were over the pinnacles there was just minor scrambling to the second Munro. Here we met a Walkhighland member "Roughwalker" who had came from the Pap of Glen Coe and was going for a wee wander along some of the ridge. We then decided to head for the Pap as Andy was keen to get some more Grahams under his belt and also because my car was left at the car park for the Pap. I felt Andy struggled a bit with the Pap and the only advice i could give him was next time he's in Scotland is to get himself up more of these "girly" hills as he calls them. It was a great day mate on one of the best ridge walks i have done, cheers for the invite.
Aonach Eagach 003.JPG

Aonach Eagach 005.JPG

Aonach Eagach 007.JPG

Aonach Eagach 009.JPG

Aonach Eagach 010.JPG

Aonach Eagach 013.JPG

Aonach Eagach 014.JPG

Aonach Eagach 015.JPG

Aonach Eagach 017.JPG

Aonach Eagach 018.JPG

Aonach Eagach 020.JPG

Aonach Eagach 021.JPG

Aonach Eagach 022.JPG

Aonach Eagach 025.JPG

Aonach Eagach 027.JPG

Aonach Eagach 028.JPG

Aonach Eagach 030.JPG

Aonach Eagach 031.JPG

Aonach Eagach 032.JPG

Aonach Eagach 034.JPG

Aonach Eagach 035.JPG

Aonach Eagach 036.JPG

Aonach Eagach 037.JPG

Aonach Eagach 039.JPG

Aonach Eagach 040.JPG
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Back on the Aonach Eagach with a London Geezer

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Its always nice to see pictures of the AE again. I walked up the papa as well and remember that it was quite a slog after a long day. Glad the 2 of you enjoyed it!! :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby simon-b » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Excellent photos, Johnny. They certainly show that ridge to be extremely narrow in places, as well as notched.

But it looks funny seeing your new Munro count of just 2 - perhaps you should change the 'activity' in your profile to Munro compleatist :D .
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi JC, you and Andy sure got a good day for this. Great photographs, hoping to get the Pap done next week along with some other stuff, just hoping for similar weather :D how were the midges? I trust you were at the Red Squirrel.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Idea is to keep these for my last pair .... not sure if I can wait much longer haha

Good pics
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:03 am

you picked a great day for it - sometimes the clag can be helpful so as not to be able to see the worst bits but hard to beat a day like this - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CharlesT » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 am

rockhopper wrote:you picked a great day for it - sometimes the clag can be helpful so as not to be able to see the worst bits but hard to beat a day like this - cheers :)

Great pics - nice to be able to see more than 10 feet either side, unlike my foray there. :( I'll have to do it again now! :D
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:44 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Its always nice to see pictures of the AE again. I walked up the papa as well and remember that it was quite a slog after a long day. Glad the 2 of you enjoyed it!! :D :D
Thanks, knees were getting sore towards the end.
simon-b wrote:Excellent photos, Johnny. They certainly show that ridge to be extremely narrow in places, as well as notched.

But it looks funny seeing your new Munro count of just 2 - perhaps you should change the 'activity' in your profile to Munro compleatist :D .
Thanks Simon, think of it as 284 :crazy:
The Rodmiester wrote:Hi JC, you and Andy sure got a good day for this. Great photographs, hoping to get the Pap done next week along with some other stuff, just hoping for similar weather :D how were the midges? I trust you were at the Red Squirrel.
Hi Rod, cheers, i slept in back of car on air mat at Signal Rock. Not a Midge in sight Rod, though there was a wee breeze. :D
Collaciotach wrote:Idea is to keep these for my last pair .... not sure if I can wait much longer haha

Good pics
Don't give into temptation and save it for last :wink:
rockhopper wrote:you picked a great day for it - sometimes the clag can be helpful so as not to be able to see the worst bits but hard to beat a day like this - cheers :)
Thanks, know what you mean but i prefer to see where i'm going to fall if it was to happen :shock:
CharlesT wrote:

Great pics - nice to be able to see more than 10 feet either side, unlike my foray there. :( I'll have to do it again now! :D
Yip i'd go for it, i've been lucky enough to get 2 great days when i've did this walk :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby londonwalker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:28 pm

Hi John. A 1000 thanks for coming up an accompanying me having done now I would have been rather "uncomfortable" doing it solo. I said on FB I have been waiting 2 years for the right weather ti coincide with one of my trips. How glad am I that I had the patience

I was thinking on the drive down the glen in the morning how the pinnicles looked slightly more crazy that morning than ever before.

I take it all back about the girlie hills, even your "hard as nails" new girl Ginette (dreadlocks and tats) could get up their.

You afre a diamond geezer

Hoping to add a few more pictures from the day

IMAG0896.jpg

IMAG0893.jpg
JC the man of many colours

IMAG0894.jpg
downclimb Am Bodach

IMAG0903.jpg

IMAG0904.jpg

IMAG0915.jpg

IMAG0917.jpg

IMAG0923.jpg

IMAG0924.jpg
londonwalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Fionas:1   Donalds:18
Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 am

It was a pleasure Andy, one of the best days i've had on the hills.Some good photos added and thanks for the invite :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:52 am

What a superb, stunning but ever so slightly scary day! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby 2manyYorkies » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:01 am

Weather a million times better than when LondonWalker had to put up with me on Challum and Chabhair in March gales. Greetings to you Andy if you're picking this up!
I think your walk on AE must have been the day I was over on the Black Mount. Stunning day all round, great pictures.
2manyYorkies
Mountain Walker

Munros:187   Corbetts:22
Hewitts:76
Wainwrights:113   

Postby old danensian » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

I should stop reading reports of Aonach Eagach - each time I do the sense mounts that I should go back and do it again - and again.

Glad you and Andy enjoyed it.

I was on the other side of the glen behind Bidean - on Sgor na h Ulaidh that afternoon and the bristling ridge in the evening sun looked marvellous - mind you, I didn't set off until nearly two so had no anxieties about the early clouds - they were long gone.

OSD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:55 pm

dogplodder wrote:What a superb, stunning but ever so slightly scary day! :D
Thanks, the start of the pinnacles was the dodgy bit for me. There is a bypass path wich i went first time i did the ridge and that also was the dodgiest part that day :crazy:
2manyYorkies wrote:Weather a million times better than when LondonWalker had to put up with me on Challum and Chabhair in March gales. Greetings to you Andy if you're picking this up!
I think your walk on AE must have been the day I was over on the Black Mount. Stunning day all round, great pictures.
old danensian wrote:I should stop reading reports of Aonach Eagach - each time I do the sense mounts that I should go back and do it again - and again.

Glad you and Andy enjoyed it.

I was on the other side of the glen behind Bidean - on Sgor na h Ulaidh that afternoon and the bristling ridge in the evening sun looked marvellous - mind you, I didn't set off until nearly two so had no anxieties about the early clouds - they were long gone.

OSD
Cheers, i don't think you could get bored doing it again and again :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland