walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cateran Trail (Day 3) - Aún más scorchio!!!

Cateran Trail (Day 3) - Aún más scorchio!!!

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:34 pm

Route description: Cateran Trail

Date walked: 25/07/2014

Distance: 17.3 km

Ascent: 440m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kirkton of Glenisla to Alyth

6.6 hours

Can it be possible that today seems even hotter than the last couple of days? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

As we tackled the big early climb from the rickety bridge over the River Isla onto the northers slopes of Druim Dearg, I reflected that it wass just as well I took the opportunity to take plenty of liquids on board last night at the hotel! :lol:

Today was scheduled to be another shorter day before finishing tomorrow with a leg shattering stretch from Alyth to Blairgowrie via Bridge of Cally but Debbie's feet were pretty much shredded by now and her right knee, which had started giving her grief yesterday, all but seized up on the ascent of the Hill of Alyth, to the extent that she ended up descending backwards into Alyth! :shock:

It was therefore with some relief that we checked into the Alyth Hotel for a shower and a change before sampling their "beer garden". Suffice to say the word "garden" should not be used in any way to describe the space in question and after the previous evening in the Glenisla Hotel, most "beer gardens" would have been a poor substitute. Still, the beer was very fine and after a few, we set off to sample the delights of Alyth on a Friday night. I was pretty sure that the surly looking woman serving at the bar of the Riverside pub next door to the hotel used to be a pupil of mine when I taught at Blairgowrie High back in the day :lol: . We eventually ended up back at the hotel to partake of their £5.95 Friday special of fish 'n' chips with mushy peas, bread and a pot of tea, where it was decided that in the interests of Debbie's knee and not spoiling the memories of the last three days, we would catch the bus back to Blairgowrie the next day and head home. Fine by me - always good to leave some unfinished business! :D

There was an elderly couple at a table nearby who were local, judging by the way other people were speaking to them, and they were out celebrating something. They left just before us and when we were done, we nipped next door to the shop to pick up a chilled bottle of white. We met the elderly couple in the shop and asked them what they were celebrating, to which they replied that it had been their wedding anniversary on Wednesday. I thought initially they had said next Wednesday to which I replied that it was the same date as ours! Anyway, we chatted a wee while and when we left to go back to the hotel, we noticed them at the door to their house down the alleyway between the shop and the hotel. It was an elaborately decorated close with tiles, quirky ornaments, colourful tiles and various other bits of accumulated bric-a-brac. It was at that point that we noticed the sign with the name "Dewar" above their door and asked if that was their name. What a coincidence - same name and for a moment we had thought the same wedding anniversary! :o

Before we knew it we were taking photos with a sprightly 91 year old Dan Dewar and his 87 year old wife Joy at their door before being whisked into their Alladin's cave of a flat and treated to their life stories. The place had to be seen to be believed (although I didn't want to take too many pictures inside their home) - every space and every inch of wall was covered with souvenirs and momentos of a life of travelling the world. I don't think there could have been many countries or areas of the world not represented in some form.

And with that rather surreal Friday night in Alyth our Cateran Trail experience came to an end - for this year anyway. There is still some unfinished business to attend to come another year!

IMG_1752.JPG
About to tackle the big climb out of Kirkton

IMG_1753.JPG
Rickety bridge over the Isla

IMG_1758.JPG
River Isla

IMG_1759.JPG
Kirkton of Glenisla and Crock

IMG_1760.JPG
Mooooooove along now!

IMG_1761.JPG
Mount Blair

IMG_1762.JPG
Hare Cairn

IMG_1763.JPG
Why the long faces?

IMG_1764.JPG
Furry boots ye fae?

IMG_1765.JPG
Nervy cows

IMG_1766.JPG
Skirting Knaptam Hill

IMG_1768.JPG
Towards the Sidlaws

IMG_1767.JPG
Zoomed in on the summit installations of Craigowl Hill (L) and Kinpurney Hill (R)

IMG_1769.JPG
The sheep of Ardormie Farm

IMG_1770.JPG
This is the path that leads to the farm!

IMG_1771.JPG
The long farm road leading down to the B954

IMG_1772.JPG
Silent suffering - so near and still so far!

IMG_1773.JPG
Rough going onto the Hill of Alyth

IMG_1774.JPG
Hill of Loyal

IMG_1775.JPG
Start of the descent to Alyth

IMG_1776.JPG
Alyth - it could almost be Amsterdam!

IMG_1777.JPG
Alyth Hotel

IMG_1778.JPG
Joy and Debbie model some natty headgear from Joy's collection!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Cateran Trail (Day 3) - Aún más scorchio!!!

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:47 pm

Shame about Debbie's knee - hope she's feeling better now??

This was the day I did the three eastern Munros at Lawers - Aun mas scorchio indeed, it was boiling!!

Thanks for posting, brings back happy memories of my first long distance trail (if you can call it long distance).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:05 am

Great reports there Graeme, they put me in the mood to give this a go again! :D My word Crock looks Bare! :( or should it be :D . Can you tell me, are there many places en route for wild camping and how much did your pack weigh? It looks mighty big. Pity about day four, hope the knee improves, Arabest Rod

Three days of sunshine, wow! Good excuse for a few beers though. Lots of interest all round, good views and lots of animals, dead and alive I see.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby basscadet » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Looks a million miles from the Cateran trail dougie and I walked :) Looks like you had a blast.. Hope debbie's knee is OK. Had the same thing in the Cuillin last week :(

Rod, there is plenty of camping along the way, although in Kirton of glenisla, we camped cheekily behind the community centre - no room at the Inn as snow on the ground and too many ski-ers in the area :lol:
we also spent a night in the lunch hut - coldest night I ever spent anywhere (-18) surprisingly, more of a lunch hut than a bothy.. :crazy: :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:42 pm

basscadet wrote:Looks a million miles from the Cateran trail dougie and I walked :) Looks like you had a blast.. Hope debbie's knee is OK. Had the same thing in the Cuillin last week :(

Rod, there is plenty of camping along the way, although in Kirton of glenisla, we camped cheekily behind the community centre - no room at the Inn as snow on the ground and too many ski-ers in the area :lol:
we also spent a night in the lunch hut - coldest night I ever spent anywhere (-18) surprisingly, more of a lunch hut than a bothy.. :crazy: :lol:

Thanks Basecadet for ghost info, I was just concerned there might be just too many farms about. I know Glen Isla well and I know of a spot around about the now closed school as I did the extension there a few years ago, so am familiar with the surrounding area.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes