walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn i go Bhac to Glen Ey

Carn i go Bhac to Glen Ey

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 16/08/2014

Time taken: 6.05 hours

Distance: 26.9 km

Ascent: 878m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This walk was arranged due to the unstoppable force which is the weather. The East had the best chance for cloud free Munros and less rain than the rest of the country. I had planned on a trip up to Fort Bill on the Sunday to meet mates that finished the WHW and were doing the Ben, but I have already done the Ben in crap weather and did not fancy it again even via the CMD Arête which was going to be my plan. Therefore after consulting my Munro Map I decided on Carn Bhac due to relatively short travelling distance and the fact I’ve had decent weather on the surrounding hills so got the views meaning if weather did not play ball it was not such a disappointment. I just really wanted out in the hills, even if it was only One Munro.
Made the short journey up to Inverey to tackle this one from the North, the other three Munros beside this I did form the South at Spittal of Glenshee (I believe the hotel burnt down this week). I knew it was a long walk in for the one Munro and knew many people take bikes but I do not have a bike and would have the dogs with me so walking was fine. I read a few reports that mentioned that a visit to the Colonels Bed is worth a visit so I’d do that on the way back.
I arrived at Inverey at 12 noon, parked beside the recycling point and walked up the track following the sign for Glen Ey. Reason for the late start was the better weather predicted in the afternoon, which was the plan anyway!!. Passed the few houses and stables on the right and went through the gate into the Glen. Weather looked promising.
photo 1.JPG
Gate leading to the Glen

There were sheep everywhere so the dogs had to be put on the leads. They pull like a train to start with which is frustrating for all parties. They soon calm down. The landrover track was excellent and I saw why people cycle as in the distance I saw a cyclist motoring along. As we were walking along I noticed the small sign for the path to the Colonels Bed, I would remember it’s whereabouts for the way back.
photo 2.JPG
Colonels bed sign and not happy with leads

photo 3.JPG
Auchelie Ruins

photo 5.JPG
Looking back to Inverey

I reached the ruins at Auchelie and continued on, my route would be to go all the way to Altanour Lodge. Still sheep all over the glen so dogs were still on leads which was frustrating as they wanted to run themselves ragged. Few sploshes of rain to contend with on the way so at no point was I down to a t-shirt. I reached the wooden bridge which crosses the Ey Burn just as the track turns South West and here I met a fit looking lady whom only had shorts and a vest on (proper hardy fitness type), she confirmed no sheep till up near the lodge so the mutts got the chains off and took off towards the burn for a swim. They were like dogs possessed and were tearing around after every scent and noise. They were having so much fun.
photo 11.JPG
Otter or Dog

photo 12.JPG
Ey Burn leading to Altanour Lodge

The rain came on again and I passed a couple coming the other way, they reluctantly said hello, oh well, maybe they had fallen out :lol:
Before the Lodge you see Beinn Iutharn Mhor straight ahead.
photo 14.JPG
Beinn Iutharn Mhor ahead

photo 17.JPG
Beinn Iutharn Mhor

I reached the second wooden bridge just before the Lodge and the dogs were back on leads as this area was packed with sheep and bikes.
photo 13.JPG
Down to Altanour Lodge, almost Hobbit like

photo 15.JPG
Altanour Lodge

I counted at least seven bikes scattered around the lodge. This would make a nice camping area if it were not for all the sheep.
photo 18.JPG
An Socach

We followed the faint track South West for around half a click then turned up North West following the Alltan Odhar stream; the track looks as though it is used by the local farmers on quad bikes as fresh tyre marks were present. This section was extremely boggy and my boots got waterlogged. Between the gaps in the mist I could see the way ahead up to the summit area so got a good idea on the direction I needed to go. I kept the dogs on leads here too as I did not want any sheep appearing out of the mist, I tend to keep them on leads in mist as the last thing I want is losing one.
Once up at height I realised I would have been better carrying on a bit further South West after the Lodge and curving round the ridge up that way, although it goes a bit out the way and closer to Beinn Iutharn Mhor it is probably an easier ascent and dryer, I planned on coming down that way so would find out. We reached the flattish summit plateau which was very Stoney and care had to be taken going over this part. On reaching the summit cairn we sheltered for a bit as the weather got cold, and sleet was blasting my face, I don’t mean to be a stick in the mud but SLEET? I hope that’s not a sign of things to come as I want a few trips in nice weather before the snow. I gave the dogs some food and had some myself and stayed in the hope the weather would open up which it did after 15 minutes, it was just as well as it was extremely cold and gloves and a third layer were dawned for the first time since March.
photo 19.JPG
Summit plateau

photo 16.JPG
Sheltering in the summit cairn

Before leaving I walked over to the other wee cairn just to be sure I reached the top then headed off down the ridge. I kept the dogs on leads as there were lots of hares scuttling about. I followed this wee ridge round and cut over the heather towards the track I had taken out, this was really boggy too but seemed a quicker route than the direct way I took up.
photo20.JPG
Biccies time

I reached the Lodge in good time and continued on. Once over the wooden bridge the dogs got another run off the leads as no sheep present in the Glen for as far as the eye (no pun intended) could see.
photo 21.JPG
Just off the leads

photo 22.JPG
On the way back, the lovely Glen Ey

photo 24.JPG
Splash

photo 25.JPG
Water dogs in the Ey Burn

photo 28.JPG
Roy the rascal

photo 29.JPG
Lovley Breeze, Lochy looking back along Glen Ey

This was my favourite part of the walk, although I love summiting like the next guy, most of all I like being out and seeing the dogs enjoying themselves, geez they had fun, running through the long grass, diving into the river and chasing each other. The scene reminded me of American Prairies and especially of certain scenes in Dances with Wolves, it was stunning. The rain stayed off and there was a slight breeze which made it awesome. Once at the end and just before the other bridge I reluctantly put the boys back on leads. My next move was to keep an eye out for the Colonels Bed and wonder down to see it, in retrospect I would do this first as it is quite rocky and slippy for the end of a long walk but worth a visit nonetheless.
photo 31.JPG
Gorge where the Colonels bed lies

I had a wee snack on the grass there and then made the last 10 minute walk back to the car. All in all a lovely day with one new summit reached and the lovely Glen Ey will be on the agenda again. Maybe once the dogs are older and don’t pull on leads as much.
photo 35.JPG
Back at the start, friendly horse

I now take a sabbatical to get married on Friday followed by a couple weeks away on honeymoon, the hills and Glens will be waiting for me on my return, hopefully with another month or so of decent weather before the shorter days of Autumn/Winter, what a thought.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Carn i go Bhac to Glen Ey

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:24 am

Lovely pics - great to see the dogs enjoying themselves, both on and off the lead :D

Congratulations on getting married - all the best to you all for the future.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Good stuff :D I enjoyed this one although i cycled it. The dogs look a bit fed up at the summit :crazy:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Moira and I nearly did this hill in June but Derry Cairngorm won so it's good to see what we missed. Dogs look like they approved!

All the best for your wedding - have a great day and honeymoon. The hills will wait! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Brilliant. Jings its a long walk in.
Suggestion
Option A: You tow a buggy for your dogs. Think they may feel that is a grand idea
Option B: Dogs learn to cycle. They may not be so keen on this one!
OK - Option A seems the more sensible option!
Good luck. :wink:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Great report and photos. It's clear the dogs love it!

Congratulations on your wedding - hope you have a great time.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:21 pm

Really good report, and some nice pics too. Well done! :clap:

I'm looking at doing this one hill on 18th Sept, so helpful to get a detailed report like this.

Congrats on the wedding :D
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 pm

Thank you all for kind wishes, had a ball but back to normal with a bump, gagging to get back into the hills again so the break was refreshing.
I attach pic of our wedding cake which you may like :lol:
image.jpg
Our wedding cake
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:20 am

Looks a good walk and a scenic area. Like the cake!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland