walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wild Glamping on the Mamores - Day 2

Wild Glamping on the Mamores - Day 2

Postby Quadbarrel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Gearanach, Binnein Mòr, Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 24/08/2014

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So, after yesterday's antics and the issue of Stob Coire a' Chairn, we thought we'd sleep on it ( 8) geddit geddit 8) ) and in doing so we had injected a new life into ourselves. So, before breakfast, we headed off to do An Gearanach. Before which, we had to see what the weather was like...

39.jpg
Oh yeah!

40.jpg
We love wild camps!

41.jpg
Sunrise

Talk about brilliant! Off we go!

GPX.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Up to Bealach a' Chadha Riabhaich it was, and the up onto An Garbhanach.

43.jpg
Loving it

We'd forgotten we still hadn't made it off the Ring of Steall, so we were pleasantly surprised at how spectacular it was, and were reminded again why it's one of the best munro walks.

An easy but narrow ridge lead to my earliest munro ever, An Gearanach.

45.jpg
Ben Nevis. Fact of the day - the peak on the farthest left is almost 40 metres higher than us at 1020 metres, its just Ben Nevis is sooooooo huge!

46.jpg
Ben Nevis photobomb

47.jpg
There's the moon!

48.jpg
Binnein Beag

Back along to the tent it was then!

49.jpg
Spot the tent!

50.jpg
There it is!

You may have noticed the bacon cooking on the trangia 8) which is the reason for the wild glamping title.

After the bacon we had to pack our house up and onto the packhorse named Dad, before we headed away up to the bealach between Stob Coire a' Chairn and Na Gruagaichean, before heading up to the top of Na Gruagaichean. At the top of the top, I discovered it doesn't (didn't) have a name on the ordnance survey map, so I now pronounce it OOBA JABA. We then headed down about 1000 metres and then up 1015 metres onto Na Gruagaichean.

51.jpg
Destination - Kinlochleven

52.jpg
Na Gruagaichean

53.jpg
Loch Leven

54.jpg
Loch Eilde Mor

We headed down to the bealach, where we discovered why there were so many stalker's paths around :(

58.jpg
The Locals

We then headed up onto an up until now unnamed summit which was soon named OOBA DEE by guess who :wink:

59.jpg
Ooba Dee

We left the bags here and headed up towards Binnein Mor, the highest, but in my opinion easiest munro of the Mamores.

60.jpg
Binnein Mor

We then summited our last munro :(

61.jpg
Binnein Mor

62.jpg
Looking back

63.jpg
I've never looked down on a munro like this before

We then headed down and up back to our bags on Ooba Dee, and then headed down to Sgurr Eilde Beag, which seemed small, but was still higher than our first munro of the weekend, Mullach nan Coirean by 15 metres.

66.jpg
Me

67.jpg
Dad

Dad decided we should take the direct route down Sgurr Eilde Beag because of the path shown on the OS maps, so we did that. It turned out to be a very good idea, as once on the slope, the path is maybe even better than the main one all the way to the junction with the main path. From here it was surely just a stroll to Kinlochleven...

68.jpg
How hard can it be?

Very!

After what seemed like years we then reached Kinlochleven, where the chippy was closed :( , and we were too tired to take any photos.

So - next stop the Cullins in October? :D :D :D
Last edited by Quadbarrel on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:143   Corbetts:51
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

Re: Wild Glamping on the Mamores - Day 2

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:43 am

Superb, that looks better than day one. Well done to you and your dad and good luck with Skye in October if you go. :clap:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Oh, that was just great! :clap: :clap: I have a feeling this won't be your last camping trip??? You'll love Skye - lots of scrambling.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Quadbarrel » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:02 am

Thanks guys and yeah, this surely can;t be our last trip! Dad's already planning camping whilst doing the last two! :roll: I still can't bear the idea of the descent into Kinlochleven again - it's tourture!

As for Skye, we went in October last year and the weather was perfect, but we then did Sgurr Alasdair, Sgurr a' Mhadaidh and Sgurr a' Greadaidh at Easter, but we were clouded in for those ones. Hopefully the weather will be better this time! :D
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:143   Corbetts:51
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland