walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two beautiful walks from Keswick

Two beautiful walks from Keswick

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:22 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Cat Bells, Dodd

Date walked: 15/07/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've posted nearly a hundred Scottish walk reports but this is my first for walks outside Scotland. My user name comes from fact I usually walk with my dogs and am not going to win any prizes for speed! The dogs are both 10 now so their Munro-bagging days are numbered, the male in particular slowing down and having issues with his joints poor chap. But it's fitting they climbed a hill in the northwest of England as they're both rescue labradors and came from Labrador Rescue NW near Chorley.

We drove to Hawes End and followed signs for parking which led to a farmer's field already well filled with cars and an honesty box asking for £3 per car. Not sure if everyone parked there put money in but if they did the farmer would be doing quite well if this was a typical day!

Start of walk up Catbells
DSC_1345-large.JPG

Derwentwater
DSC_1347-large.JPG

Clouds
DSC_1350-large.JPG

Hot day for a climb
DSC_1352-large.JPG

Newlands Valley
DSC_1353-large.JPG

We stopped for a drink and a rest on a grassy slope on Skelgill Bank with lovely views of the lake. This was Pete's first hill since major surgery so we both agreed he shouldn't push himself but wait there while I went on to the summit with the dogs. At this point we gave most of our precious drinking water (bought in Booths in Keswick) to the dogs because unlike most Scottish hills there appeared to be no natural water on Catbells.

Catbells from Skelgill Bank
DSC_1355-large.JPG

South end of Derwentwater
DSC_1356-large.JPG

Steep rocky section at top
DSC_1358-large.JPG

Tess looking back for Pete
DSC_1359-large.JPG

Jack feeling the heat
DSC_1361-large.JPG

The final rocky part looked fun but for the sake of the dogs I took a line to the left up steep grass which is easier on their paws. I did however come down the rocky path and the dogs managed fine. It was a very busy hill but when I reached the top there was just a couple there - the man taking a photo of the woman at the summit (though with no cairn or trig it's difficult to know the exact point that counts as summit!). I asked if they'd like me to take a photo of them together and the man said I could if I liked..... but they weren't actually together! :lol:

Tess at top
DSC_1367-large.JPG

On the way up someone told me there were pools of water at the top. It had rained the day before but in the heat these pools had shrunk to puddles - but it was enough for the dogs to have another good drink.

Skiddaw
DSC_1363-large.JPG

Continuation of path south
DSC_1364-large.JPG

Derwent Fells
DSC_1365-large.JPG

Keswick from Catbells
DSC_1371-large.JPG

I headed down as quickly as I could to find Pete reading his book on his grassy bank and we finished the walk together. Lower down there were sheep about so I put Jack back on the lead - although to be honest he was too exhausted with the heat to even consider any illegal moves! It was probably too hot for him and I found a few shady spots beside high bracken for him to lie down and rest.

After we got back to the car and put our £3 in the honesty box I found the large bottle of fizzy water I'd bought in Booths to await our return had exploded in the heat and only had an inch of liquid left in it and not even a hint of dampness on the car floor. Then we headed for the lake where the dogs had a refreshing swim - bliss!

Two days later I left the dogs to go for a walk by the lake with Pete and set off with Moira and Sandra to climb Dodd. We parked in the large Dodd Woods car park which you pass on the road to Bassenthwaite from where good paths radiate out in various directions. We were heading for the top of Dodd which had us climbing steadily through trees up the side of a river with no views until we were out of the woods.

Moira and Sandra coming up the path - not quite out of the woods yet!
DSC_1377-large.JPG

The track swung west and we got our first view of Keswick and Derwentwater
DSC_1378-large.JPG

View south to Catbells where I'd been two days earlier
DSC_1379-large.JPG

Keswick - memorable for its welcoming attitude to dogs in shops and pubs!
DSC_1380-large.JPG

The good path leads at a steady but gentle gradient to the top of Dodd where a headstone of local rock marks the summit.

The girls at Dodd summit
DSC_1385-large.JPG

View south from Dodd
DSC_1384-large.JPG

Lake Bassenthwaite and distant Galloway hills from Dodd
DSC_1383-large.JPG

South end of Lake Bassenthwaite from the return path (more scenic than the outward one)
DSC_1386-large.JPG

DSC_1388-large.JPG

Two stunning lakeland walks which showed off the beauty of the Lake District at its best!

But my final photo goes to the day between the walks when we celebrated my son's birthday in the Sun Inn, Bassenthwaite - one of many eating places in the area which welcomes dogs.

Birthday meal with son, daughter in law, four grandsons - and the dogs! :D
DSC_1372-large.JPG
Last edited by dogplodder on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Two beautiful walks from Keswick

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Beautiful photos as usual, good to see Pete out on the hills, and Jack and Tess enjoying themselves. :clap: :clap:

Its a long time since we last visited the Lakes - but this is a great temptation. Glad you all enjoyed the birthday bash! :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Wow, you've ventured south, Kathleen! Great to see you had wonderful weather and some beautiful views :thumbup:
My first walk in the Lakes was Catbells in 1960 :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Beautiful photos as usual, good to see Pete out on the hills, and Jack and Tess enjoying themselves. :clap: :clap:

Its a long time since we last visited the Lakes - but this is a great temptation. Glad you all enjoyed the birthday bash! :D

Thanks Liz. It was way too hot for Jack and I'm very reluctantly concluding I can't take him with me in summer. :(
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Wow, you've ventured south, Kathleen! Great to see you had wonderful weather and some beautiful views :thumbup:
My first walk in the Lakes was Catbells in 1960 :lol:

Loved it Susie - well worth venturing south of the border. Catbells was a good one to start with and must surely have given you the bug! 8)
dogplodder

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:27 pm

dogplodder wrote:Catbells was a good one to start with and must surely have given you the bug!

It certainly did as we(Mum, Dad and Brother) then went camping 3 times a year for the next 10 years. We lived in Somerset and it was quite a trek as there was very little motorway in those days :lol: Now we can pop over for the day but still spend holidays there as well.
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:
dogplodder wrote:Catbells was a good one to start with and must surely have given you the bug!

It certainly did as we(Mum, Dad and Brother) then went camping 3 times a year for the next 10 years. We lived in Somerset and it was quite a trek as there was very little motorway in those days :lol: Now we can pop over for the day but still spend holidays there as well.

Camping three times a year sounds amazing - what great parents you had! :D

But looking at these photos makes me wonder whatever happened to our lovely summer? It's been so cold and wet the past two weeks. :o
dogplodder

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:34 pm

I love it at the Lake District and was back down just a few weeks ago. Catbells has some lovely views and it looks like you had a great day for it.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby dogplodder » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:34 am

Sarah86 wrote:I love it at the Lake District and was back down just a few weeks ago. Catbells has some lovely views and it looks like you had a great day for it.

Thanks Sarah, we had a perfect day - but a bit too hot for the dogs! :think:
dogplodder

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland