walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CMD - CMD ARÊTE - BEN NEVIS

CMD - CMD ARÊTE - BEN NEVIS

Postby Sweeto » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 28/08/2014

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What can I say, a sunny day by Ben Nevis, I started parking at North wall car park starting at 11am

The walk through the forest is steep and short, taking me 25 minutes to get to the open hill, positively breathless the whole forest walk not taking any breaks, ten reaching the open hill to be presented with the enormous Ben Nevis to the right of view taking up a good portion of the skyline, carn mor dearg is straight ahead but all that can be seen is a false summit.

Continue along main path for a few minutes before a grassy path that has had its fair share of footfall presents itself on your left, warning!!!! have appropriate footwear' this is a boggy path for half a mile and steep and energy draining. You will see rocks forming a straight line up above, this is where the rock path begins and continues to summit. There are a few false summits but eventually you will see the proper summit appear to the right. A few cairns up the top and then the summit...GREAT VIEWS.

Look to the right and the arête to Ben Nevis presents itself, not going to lie at its widest it's only 3m across and big drops either side. Not for the faint hearted and should only be attempted if comfortable with scrambling' you may well be crossing on all 4's at times as I know I was.

And then your across and after a full on scrambling climb of about 40m your at a cairn and half an hour to an hour away from your final summit....have a look and take it in, it is ultra steep but short in distance, it can't be more than 700m forward to summit, in that though I would guesstimate it's 250m climb, all rocks, all scrambling.

Then your their on the summit, it is flat, rocky and has a few buildings on top too, I was lucky it was clear you could see for miles and miles and every Munro between Ben Nevis and Ben lomond.

Your return takes you down the tourist path which to be honest looked extremely boring, nothing but rocks and zig zag paths until you reach the picturesque loch, take the path to the right to the end of the loch...your choice from here you can follow the path to the right which makes you backtrack or you can do what I done and just go down the grass, it's boggy but quicker, you will need to cross the river at the valley and then back to the main oath to the forest, then 20-30 mins to the car park, once going down the forest track make sure and take the non smooth path to save time, then voila!!!! Completed

Hope your climbs go well I got some cracking photos from this one
Sweeto
Mountain Walker

Munros:41   

Re: CMD - CMD ARÊTE - BEN NEVIS

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Sounds exciting - are you going to post any photos for us? Would love to see some!
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Sweeto » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 am

Indeed I will, this is my first post so just figuring out the format of things, hopefully the first of many, I have only done 7 munros so far but hope to add to that figure a good deal
Attachments
1409148445786.jpg
Approx 10 minutes from summit of Ben nevis
Sweeto
Mountain Walker

Postby Sweeto » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 am

Carn mor Dearg summit
Attachments
1409141897171.jpg
Carn mor Dearg summit
Sweeto
Mountain Walker

Postby Sweeto » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:35 am

Attachments
1409138455845.jpg
View of Ben nevis whilst climbing Carn mor Dearg
Sweeto
Mountain Walker

Postby Sweeto » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:37 am

Photo
Attachments
1409133267705.jpg
Ben nevis view from end of forest trail
Sweeto
Mountain Walker

Postby Sweeto » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:49 am

Unfortunately my phone ran out of battery just as I reached the summit of Ben nevis so I did not get to take photographs of the fantastic views
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-08-28-11-22-31.png
Me at summit of Ben nevis (the guy with the cap)
Sweeto
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:24 am

The big grins say it all! Well done! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland