walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lawers with a new Rocket

Ben Lawers with a new Rocket

Postby jonny616 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lawers

Date walked: 30/08/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 734m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Asked the kids a few days ago if they fancied walking a mountain if the weather was good. One yes, one no and a maybe!
So on friday night Ella asked me if the weather was ok for our walk on saturday. Mwis for southeastern highlands, 30mph wind, occasional rain and cloud base at 500m with 20% chance of cloud free. :crazy: So i told her it was ok except we might get wet, we wouldn't see anything and it would be windy. Apart from yours i don't mind wind she said :lol: :lol: From the mouths of babes blah blah.

So we set of from the Lawers car park at 10:45 with Ella saying come on dad hurry up. The hills were shrouded in cloud but it was dry and warm although it was definitely going to be blowing a gale up top. We took the path that traverses around the side of Ben Ghlas as it rises gently and we were out of the wind for some of the time.

Past 2 guys coming done who looked like they'd gone a few rounds in the boxing ring, looking at Ella and saying its very windy up there. We had a couple of chocolate stops and then a chat before we reached the bealach about heading to the summit as quickly as possible and then back down to below the bealach to get out of the wind before having our picnic.

I thought about putting rocks in Ella's pockets, but in the end we just held hands. Quick summit photo and down we go meeting a large group coming up with three pipers and a young man celebrating his 80th birthday with a stroll in the hills.

We found a nice sheltered spot for our picnic and then headed for the car in the sunshine with good views all around.

Back at the car in just under 4 hours the weather having been better than advertised. :lol: 8) :clap:

BL1.jpg
choco stop
BL2.jpg
Nearly there
BL3.jpg
Windy summit
BL4.jpg
Beinn Ghlas
BL5.jpg
Looking towards T Ridge
BL6.jpg
An Stuc clear
BL7.jpg
BL8.jpg
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Ben Lawers with a new Rocket

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:27 pm

Well done to Ella, takes a bit more than a wee breeze & low cloud to stop little ones romping up hills :clap: :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:19 pm

Great effort there Ella xx :clap: :clap:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:11 pm

well done Ella :clap: - looks like you were really enjoying yourself :thumbup:

jonny616 wrote:I thought about putting rocks in Ella's pockets, but in the end we just held hands.
- holding hands......presumably so that Ella could pull you uphill :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:53 pm

Well done to Ella, I don't know where the younger ones get their energy from, I am such a fair weather hill walker :lol:
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby jonny616 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:58 am

Sarah86 wrote:Well done to Ella, I don't know where the younger ones get their energy from, I am such a fair weather hill walker :lol:

You haven't lived until you've been eight hours in the clag and rain. There's no feeling like it :lol: :lol: :lol: :crazy:

rockhopper wrote:well done Ella :clap: - looks like you were really enjoying yourself :thumbup:

jonny616 wrote:I thought about putting rocks in Ella's pockets, but in the end we just held hands.
- holding hands......presumably so that Ella could pull you uphill :wink: - cheers :)

She sure did. Kept saying come on dad :clap:

gammy leg walker wrote:Great effort there Ella xx :clap: :clap:

Cheers mate 8)

Fife Flyer wrote:Well done to Ella, takes a bit more than a wee breeze & low cloud to stop little ones romping up hills :clap: :clap:

Thanks. She normal attracts the sunshine that's why I take her :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Well done to Ella :clap: :clap:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland