walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Galloway Corbetts

Galloway Corbetts

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:26 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn, Corserine

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Carsphairn, Corserine, Meikle Millyea, Milldown

Date walked: 31/08/2014

Time taken: 7.42 hours

Distance: 29.2 km

Ascent: 1647m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a great day in Arran it seemed sensible to head for somewhere south-ish for the Sunday. We got off the Arran boat just after 8 with the intention of climbing Cairnsmore of Carsphairn and a few adjacent Donalds the following day. So we needed a place to stay the night. Driving down the A713 from Ayr towards Dalmellington it's already getting dark and I have no idea where we're going to pitch. Spotting a picnic area at the start of the road into Galloway Forest Park, just after Dalmellington, we reckon thei looks possible - lovely flat grassy area away from the picnic benches - only downside is it's beside the road, but should be quiet overnight...pitched and inside in the darkness that is now 9pm. All's well til about 10.30 and a car pulls up into the parking spaces. Oh no - have we chosen a spot favoured by South Ayrshire's dogging community? After an anxious wait to see what they're up to (it's astonishing how vulnerable you can feel in a wee semi-transparent tent) they put some music on - of the "banging sounds" variety I think it was, then shortly after disappear. We aren't troubled for the rest of the night, but sleep is hard to come by. 7am we get up and use the picnic tables to eat breakfast from.

Campsite
ImageP1030398 by 23weasels, on Flickr

OK, it's not a bad looking day, let's be off. We drive down the road a few miles to the Green Well of Scotland and park up of the verge after the bridge. One other car is there already. Setting off up the track at about 8.30 it's turning into a nice warm sunny morning. Views to the west over to the Merrick and the Rhinns of Kells are inviting. Going is easy under foot on a farm track. We pass Dunool on our right as we head towards Standing Stone Rig, following the path up by the stream, across the small bridge and up the side of the wall heading right for the cairn. No false summits here! Three other guys are draped around the cairn. It's too nice a day to waste on Donalds, I decide - it has only taken us 90 minutes to get here and rather than head off to Windy Standard, Alhang and Moorcroft hills I think we would be much better served by getting over to Corserine and claiming another Corbett. So we head down the fence line over Black Shoulder and Dunool then along the Nick of Disgee back to the path and thence to the car. A nice wee hill that one.

Dunool
ImageP1030399 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View towards Merrick
ImageP1030400 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Cairnsmore
ImageP1030401 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1030402 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit Cairnsmore
ImageP1030403 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Route down over Black Shoulder
ImageP1030407 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View back up
ImageP1030408 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1030409 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1030410 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We drive down the road a few miles to Polharrow Bridge then up the well-surfaced single track road to Forrest Lodge, an estate owned by Fred Olsen and with tracks going into the forest having the most unusual names - Prof Hans Heiberg Drive being one (He was a Norwegian Professor of Silviculture in case you didn't know). Off into the tree lined avenue which soon opens out into a cleared area of forest with our first objective - Meickle Lump - up ahead. Have to say I just love these place names down in Galloway. Anyhow we proceed through the trees, coming to Kristen Olsen Road then through a boggy trail that brings us up to a stile over the deer fence and up the side of the aforementioned Meickle Lump. The heather's bonny, the going steep at first then levelling out as we walk up to the first top, Meikle Millyea which offers good views south to Clatteringshaws Loch and along the broad ridge we'll take to Corserine.

ImageP1030412 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Meikle Lump
ImageP1030414 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Boggy bit
ImageP1030415 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Deer Stile
ImageP1030416 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Heathery hillside
ImageP1030418 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Clatteringshaws
ImageP1030420 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Along the ridge to Corserine
ImageP1030422 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Meikle Millyea has its name pinned on the trig point (they do think of everything here) and we enjoy the cool breeze before heading along to the next couple of tops - Milldown and Millfire - all, I later learn, Donalds - yay! We get good views over to the hills in the west. We hear a crinkling rustling noise in the grasses and spot a threesome of dragonflies mating or up to some nefarious business. One flies off before I can get my camera out. The land over to the east is so flat and arable looking - quite a contrast after recent weeks out on the hills. Up ahead the great whaleback of Corserine stretches up to the skyline. I push on faster than Ally who's lagging behind with a sore knee. Great views from the cairn, including over to Cairnsmore of Carsphairn.

Meikle Millyea
ImageP1030425 by 23weasels, on Flickr

To Milldown
ImageP1030427 by 23weasels, on Flickr

dragonflies
ImageP1030428 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View over to Cairnsmore
ImageP1030430 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Dungeon Loch
ImageP1030431 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Corserine
ImageP1030432 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Summit
ImageP1030435 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1030437 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Better late than never :lol:
ImageP1030439 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We trek down by the Scar of the Folk, with rougher terrain over towards Craigbrock. I head to the Folk Burn for a drink - having neglected to refill my water bladder yesterday was a bad move on such a hot and sunny afternoon. After downing a litre of cool streamwater I feel revived and we set off back into the forest to return to the car park. It's good to see these hills down in this part of the world on a good day.

Craigbrock
ImageP1030441 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Peacock Butterfly
ImageP1030443 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Last section of descent
ImageP1030444 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Shrooms
ImageP1030445 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Looks like a motorway they're building - definately a "Boulevard"!!
ImageP1030446 by 23weasels, on Flickr

And another one
ImageP1030447 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1030449 by 23weasels, on Flickr

You've been warned!
ImageP1030450 by 23weasels, on Flickr
Last edited by weaselmaster on Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Galloway Corbetts

Postby orion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 pm

Think you may have inadvertently ticked the nearby Graham,Millfore,instead of Millfire the Donald on the Rhinns of Kells. Some pretty confusing names down that way :D
orion

Re: Galloway Corbetts

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:37 pm

orion wrote:Think you may have inadvertently ticked the nearby Graham,Millfore,instead of Millfire the Donald on the Rhinns of Kells. Some pretty confusing names down that way :D

Yeah, I noticed that when I came to put the blue balloons in. :oops:
But 2 Donalds more than I was expecting is still a good bonus...
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland