walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From Corrour to Tulloch NOT by train, Loch Ossian 3 + 2

From Corrour to Tulloch NOT by train, Loch Ossian 3 + 2

Postby Dommie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap, Càrn Dearg (Corrour), Chno Dearg, Sgòr Gaibhre, Stob Coire Sgriodain

Date walked: 03/08/2013

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 36.8 km

Ascent: 2260m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The previous night was spent at Fersaid Bridge in the car park. In the morning the two bicycles were left behind and we went to Tulloch train Station by car. Left the car there, bought two SINGLE tickets and took the train at 8:13, arrived by 8:30 at Corrour, where this walk started from.
When off the train just follow the route to the Loch. When you've reached make sure you start heading up hill. The path ends up in a North-South direction route soon but don't worry, follow your compass to the direction of Carn Dearg. It may not be easy at the beginning but if you were looking for easy walks probably wouldn't have ended up here anyway :)
Between the two Munros there are no difficulties.
From Sgor Gaibhre descend NW. River can easily be crossed at a small dam, very close to the Loch.
A house with a sauna!!! is located on the NE tip of the Loch that is an excellent place to have a rest and some food. This is the point where the easy part of the walk ends.
Follow the road to the North part of Loch Ossian. Firstly you will need to be heading NW but the forest can't really be crossed just anywhere. There is a path where I crossed (see map) but pretty sure there were some fence to be jumped over as well. Anyway, once, out of the jungle turn West. The terrain was very wet and it's a tiring walk up to Beinn na Lap.
Descend NW and make sure you don't go far North as the river getting more rough. I could not find any point where it could be crossed easily but maybe I was unlucky. Once the other side of the river, climb up the hill, trying to aim the saddle between Garbh Beinn and Meall Garbh. This is VERY tiring.
Meall Garbh can be left out as we did on the way to Chno Dearg but I don't recommend to follow my route here. I would imagine the way through Meall Garbh is more rocky hence better to walk on.
The ridge between Chno Dearg and Stob Coire Sgriodain is really beautiful and comparing to the last few hours of torture it feels almost like walking on a motorway.
From the 5th Munro descend North and the road can be reached without difficulty.
We cycled the last ~5km from Fersaid Bridge to Tulloch train Station which was refreshing.
Good luck!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Dommie on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dommie
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:3   Donalds:6

Re: From Corrour to Tulloch NOT by train, Loch Ossian 3 + 2

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 pm

That is a great route for combining these 5! 8) I’m impressed you walked from Beinn na Lap to Chno Dearg, that’s steep!
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland