walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgulaird - the mountain on the edge of the world

Beinn Sgulaird - the mountain on the edge of the world

Postby mrssanta » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 24/08/2014

Distance: 13 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had one more day and night of the Bank Holiday weekend left, and so far MWIS had been a little bit inaccurate with its forecast for hypothermia, we'd actually been quite hot.
We came down off Beinn Fionnlaidh at about 3.30pm and had a very enjoyable drive via Glencoe through the beautiful Argyll countryside to the foot of Beinn Sgulaird at Drumnavuic. The gardens are no longer open to the public but there were some great big diggers and rock-breaking machinery to admire in the layby where we parked and a little way up the track.

beinn Sgulaird.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

By the time we got our boots back on and set off it was a little after 4.30pm and still hot, clear and very little wind. Our intention was to climb up to near the first summit and camp for the night. Then in the morning to walk to the summit, retrieve our tent and come back down in time to get home to Yorkshire back to work on Tuesday :(
This is such a lovely hill, I think the combination of water and mountains cannot be beaten, and because it is the last munro for a while, the views over the Firth of Lorn and beyond are fantastic.
We met some folk at the car park who reassured us there were plenty of suitable campspots. As we went up the track we met a man coming down who looked a little overheated and tired - he admitted he had not had enough water and was quite exhausted. this prompted some Words over the amount of water we could carry as I had only brought a one litre bottle. Rudolph had a three litre bottle and was quite concerned we would run out. Had the weather stayed as hot he might well have been right!
It is a lovely walk up, through a beautiful meadow with a distinct path all the way.
argylls hidden gems 093.jpg
Good path through the grass

argylls hidden gems 094.jpg
looking up Glen Creran

argylls hidden gems 095.jpg
our worries are over, a reliable water supply at about 550 metres

argylls hidden gems 099.jpg
Rudolph having a snack and looking happy

argylls hidden gems 100.jpg
Cruachan group over Loch Etive

argylls hidden gems 101.jpg
Sgulaird summit looking quite a long way off

As we approached our proposed camp spot we realised the path looked like bypassing the best views so we went off-piste a bit, always worth a try. we found a spot perched on the edge of the hill at about NN039448 on a flat patch of moss between rocks. It was only just big enough and one of the pegs had to go in sideways into the moss, but it would do us.
We sat and ate our tea of blow-up pasta and instant custard, followed by tea and coffee and watched the sun gradually sinking over the horizon behind Morvern, with views to Mull, Lismore, Colonsay, Jura and even Islay far away (wave to Granny!)
argylls hidden gems 102.jpg
How's that for the view from your sitting room?

The highlight of this trip was really the sunset we watched, so here follows a lot of pictures of it!
argylls hidden gems 104.jpg

argylls hidden gems 105.jpg

argylls hidden gems 108.jpg

argylls hidden gems 109.jpg

argylls hidden gems 113.jpg
Panorama. I don't think Islay shows in this picture but it was definitely there!

After sunset we turned in and were soon asleep, but not for long; at about midnight the wind got up and was rattling away all night. In our wee summer tent with its mesh lining we were glad our sleeping bags have hoods! In the morning we awoke to a beautifully sunny day, but it was cold and very windy.
argylls hidden gems 120.jpg
same view just after 7am

We were fully awake at about six and it was too draughty and chilly to sit about, so a quick bite to eat and away just after 7am. We had thought of leaving the tent to pack up later, but when we crawled our combined 18 stone out of it we could see that it might just not stay put especially since the pegs were not that securely placed, so we stashed the camping gear in a dip by a rock wrapped in an orange bivvy bag.
We actually set off in down jackets it was so chilly, but by the time we reached the first top were ready to shed these and had a most enjoyable walk over the three summits to the top and back. Although the going is a lot rougher past the first top with some scrambly bits up and down, it was never difficult and the views in every direction were superb.
argylls hidden gems 124.jpg
we just came down this scrambly bit.

argylls hidden gems 128.jpg
Rudolph on the summit with view to the Buaichailles

argylls hidden gems 130.jpg
and me looking towards Cruachan

argylls hidden gems 132.jpg
lochan just near the summit

on leaving the camping gear stash, we were both quite sure where it was, but when we returned, all the rocks looked the same! both of us were about 15 metres out in our estimation and we could not see it at all! Fortunately I had remembered to take a fix on the GPS and there it was, hiding! By this time we were glad of a brew, but even hiding in the shade of a rock, we had difficulty getting the stoves lit.
We retraced our steps back down the path, following the ridge all the way. The wind was freshening as we went and whistled round the side of the hill so that we had some difficulty keeping our feet on the reascent past the 488m top and down the other side. But after too short a time we were back to the road and our adventure was over till the next time.
argylls hidden gems 146.jpg
Lochan in the dip at 450 metres

argylls hidden gems 147.jpg
and in the other direction with sunny sparkles

argylls hidden gems 148.jpg
it looks like you could just push it into the loch - actually at this point we could barely stand up!

However I never really feel my holiday is over until I get within view of Roseberry Topping! And of course I am happy to report that the route from Glen Creran goes via Tyndrum and our favourite food (and tea) establishment!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Beinn Sgulaird - the mountain on the edge of the world

Postby Silverhill » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:36 am

Another classic mrssanta and rudolph trip with a wild camp! 8) You picked a great spot for the tent. That view towards Mull is just fantastic. I hope it won’t be too long before you are back in the hills?
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Silverhill wrote:Another classic mrssanta and rudolph trip with a wild camp! 8) You picked a great spot for the tent. That view towards Mull is just fantastic. I hope it won’t be too long before you are back in the hills?
I agree, it's great reading about your family expeditions on the hills. Look forward to you all returning :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:52 pm

Great report enjoyed reading that, especially as that hill is very near the top of my list :wink:

Loved the sunset photo's and the camp spot doesn't get much better than that - view wise 8)

Thanks for posting :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:17 pm

This mountain needs to be climbed on a sunny day to do it justice & you certainly have done it justice with your pictures,thanks for posting :clap: :clap:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 pm

pooh lovely. One of my fav hills :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby mrssanta » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:22 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:
Silverhill wrote:Another classic mrssanta and rudolph trip with a wild camp! 8) You picked a great spot for the tent. That view towards Mull is just fantastic. I hope it won’t be too long before you are back in the hills?
I agree, it's great reading about your family expeditions on the hills. Look forward to you all returning :D

Thanks both.
We are up North at half term but activities will depend on the weather forecast - we'll be bringing the gear!
Fife Flyer wrote:Great report enjoyed reading that, especially as that hill is very near the top of my list :wink:

Loved the sunset photo's and the camp spot doesn't get much better than that - view wise 8)

Thanks for posting :clap:

Keep it for a clear day, it's well worth it.
gammy leg walker wrote:This mountain needs to be climbed on a sunny day to do it justice & you certainly have done it justice with your pictures,thanks for posting :clap: :clap:

Thanks glad you enjoyed them. That's a hill I could go back to.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Great photos and what a superb end to your holiday. I'd like to copy the high camp, but not in the wind :? The Etive hills must wait for another year but thanks for giving me food for thought about how we do them - they aren't really feasible on a day trip from the Black Isle :D

Enjoy Roseberry Topping - grew up not far from there.
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby mrssanta » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:53 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Great photos and what a superb end to your holiday. I'd like to copy the high camp, but not in the wind :? The Etive hills must wait for another year but thanks for giving me food for thought about how we do them - they aren't really feasible on a day trip from the Black Isle :D

Enjoy Roseberry Topping - grew up not far from there.

Thanks
Roseberry Topping is a great hill for keeping fit on. much better than a gym. From our house, it's 30 minutes to the top on a good day (ie without a pack and if you don't meet anyone to chat to!)
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland