walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 middle aged wifies, a teenager & 3 dogs at Fersit

2 middle aged wifies, a teenager & 3 dogs at Fersit

Postby Bob the Dog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 31/08/2013

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been absolutely ages since I put the paws to the keyboard and wrote a trip report, in spite of notching up 85 Munros in the 21 months since I moved in with Mum...but last weekend down at Fersit was so special that I thought I'd give my linguistic skills a little bit of a stretch this evening, so here goes.

The original plan was to be picked up by Travis et al on Friday after mum got home from school and head off to Fersit to have a weekend of 4 Munros. But given that mum was feeling a bit tired after work and the forecast for Saturday was apparently pants, it was decided we'd leave home on Saturday morning instead. And so it was that the dreaded van arrived exactly on time - I know everyone else loves Ivan the van, but I positively HATE it! And it was under extreme threats that I got in in the first place!!! But we were off, headed to Aviemore for shopping.

Now mum allegedly loathes shopping, but after a week of internet bargain hunting (new Berghaus waterproof trousers, new North Face trekking trousers, new Hagloffs jacket - she is obviously not brand exclusive) it was now the turn of the sale rails in the outdoor shops ! YAWN for us 3 dogs, but a new Osprey rucksack and fleece, oh, and socks, were purchased and mum etc decided it was finally time to head off down Loch Laggan's narrow, bumpy roads in rattly Ivan (no offence Travis!!!)

We arrived late afternoon, found the most idyllic spot on the side of the road to park up for the night, and the teenager was tasked with lighting a fire on the shore, while the middle aged wifies sampled beer and crisps LOL. Us dogs romped about and explored the camping spot - it was perfect! In spite of the rain and the midgies :lol:
17.jpg

After a great beef stew (thanks Dad) it was a night of music, dancing and wine, and hoping the rain would go forth before morning. IT DID!!!

A not too early wake up saw us having breakfast in tranquility, the cloud lifting before our very eyes - a whole lot better than the winter day we'd spent here earlier in the year, when we'd totally overestimated our fitness and the magnitude of the walk ahead. Also, my eyes actually freezing closed meant that day was cut short! :shock: :shock:
16.jpg

We set off to the car-park, and headed along the loch side before heading up right along a rough track to some sheep folds, below the memorial with no plaque - anybody know why it's there?
1.jpg

The going was wet and rough underfoot, but the steepness made it interesting, and the weather was improving all the time. Too hot to be honest, but plenty of water for us us 3 dogs.
2.jpg

The false summits on the way to the first Munro were apparently a total blooming pain in the posterior - even the teenager was giving up hope of ever seeing a summit, but eventually we got there, and then saw the drop to the beallach before heading up to the second Munro. The views were fabulous, easterly toward Loch Laggan, Newtonmore and the Cairngorms. Northerly into the Grey Corries, southerly to the Lawers range (last 2 weekends spent there) and west towards the heaps of hills that mum and I still have to climb.
4.jpg
11.jpg
9.jpg
12.jpg

The wind had picked up markedly, but it was sunny, and behind the shelter of the cairns, mum and her pal could easily light a fag (!!!) so they were well happy! (Health police, be warned - apparently it is still a free country...)

Having spent most of my walking career in the eastern hills, it was a delight for me to be in the west again, climbing from low down in the glens, feeling the ascent a bit, but thoroughly enjoying the rugged, steepness of the mountains here.

Mum's decided to leave the other pair at Fersit for snowy conditions - they look great! And she's already packed up for Kintail next weekend - these glorious Indian Summer days are sure firing up her enthusiasm for getting out and about as much as possible before our trip to the Fisherfields in October...Bring it on is all I say! :clap: :clap: :clap:
15.jpg
Exactly!!!

Woof! Woof!!
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Re: 2 middle aged wifies, a teenager & 3 dogs at Fersit

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:43 pm

Woof,woof to you also Bob, :lol: :lol: .

Loved these 2 also.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Well done Bob, it’s a dog’s life! :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:49 pm

Well done Bob ( ...and the rest of the crew!) :clap: looks like you had a blast! :D
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:09 pm

Yes it has been a while young Bob, too long and with those literary skills you do make me smile :D Superb pair these two, although took two attempts for me too, but that wasn't the weather. I'll tell you about it one day, instead of a cave rescue story, yawn, yawn zzz :lol:

The mug sums it up, weekends too short, but Mon to Fri is for planning, pouring over maps, photos to build the excitement, talking about it (oops sorry Woof woof anyway :lol: ) or listening about it, us humans can talk some :lol:

Lovely report and beautiful pictures, glad you all had a great time, hope to see you soon Woof woof :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Well done Bob & of course the rest of the gang, your writing & typing skills are pretty good, woof woof :clap: :clap:

Some cracking photo's, took me back to when I was up that way a few months ago, as you said great views all round 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Hill-loving lady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:10 pm

Replying on Bob's behalf folks - thanks for your responses. Hoping the weather remains as good for the forthcoming weekend :D
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Travis » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:53 pm

Woof...woof...woof Bob! I was trying to forget (as was the teenager) that our mums were dancing round the bonfire :roll: soooo embarrassing! ( way back when, my mum would have been drowned or burned at the stake...not for heresay I say but for having Peter Andre on her playlist!!) Don't think I'll get to Kintail this weekend 'cos mum's got sniffles :( :( . now we have wait to celebrate our anniversary of walking together...maybe the weekend after?
Travis
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:44 pm

Great job, Bob, keeping all the humans in a flock and on the hill. I'm sure you ran 10 times the distance they walked! Your pictures are great too. :clap: :clap:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Travis....anniversary must include tents, a bothy, a bottle of wine, and a breakfast without any surprises
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland