walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More, Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Bynack More, Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Postby gman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More, Geal Chàrn (Monadhliath)

Date walked: 03/09/2014

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been meaning to get these 2 done for a while - took a bike for Bynack More, boots and gaiters for boggy Geal Charn.

Bynack More
Time 3:40
Distance 23.5km
Ascent 756m

bynack more actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Started from the Allt Mor car park, there's a path that improves as it joins the track from Glenmore.

Bit of a climb to Ryvoan Pass but great scenery. An Lochan Uaine:

Through the pass and turn east, can see the path leading to Bynack More.

Footbridge over the Nethy, didn't last much longer on the bike as it got steeper and there are frequent drainage ditches.

Looking back to Ryvoan Pass.

Sron a' Cha-no

Bynack More ahead.

Rocky crest of the ridge has easy scrambling, looking back:

Views from the cairn:

Then back to the bike & back through the Ryvoan Pass.

On the return I went past Glenmore on the better track, then tarmac road. Got to the car about 12:20, packed bike, had a bite to eat then headed to Garva Bridge. This is a great walk,cycle with good paths all the way and interesting scenery, next it's a boggy trudge :lol:

Geal Charn
Time 3.45
Distance 13.2km
Ascent 653m

geal charn actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Took about 1:20 to pack, drive to Garva Bridge, unpack and set off. The single track road from Laggan has very little traffic and great scenery.

Over Garva Bridge.

Landy track to the next bridge.

Crossed the next bridge and should have gone over the fence soon after, staying near the banks of the burn. I followed the land rover track instead so had to cut across marshy ground. Muddy path to Geal Charn:

Felt a struggle going uphill through the mud, I think an hour in the car made my legs think the walk was over so they weren't happy being back on the hills :lol: Hazy Ben Alder.

Lessy boggy higher up, at last - the cairn!

Then turned around and headed back.

Garva Bridge again.

Could have driven straight to the A9 via Dalwhinnie, but the Happy Haggis in Kingussie were advertising award winning fish and chips, so took a detour back there instead :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Bynack More, Geal Charn (Monadhliath)

Postby PerthAlly » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:13 pm

Gman

Good report. Long day out ?

I'm planning a Bynack More trip soon. In fact, the next sunny day I'm heading up.

Does a hike from Bynack More to Beinn Mheadhoin look feasible? Planning to start at Coire na Ciste car park. Looks achievable but a long slog. Just wondered how it looked to your eye?
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Silverhill » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Nice pictures there gman! :D I did Geal Charn in June and the path along the Feith Talagain wasn’t too bad. But it was clear that in wetter conditions it would be a struggle. I’ve still got Bynack More to do and am looking forward to it.
It would be rude not to sample award winning fish and chips! :wink: Can you recommend the place?
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby gman » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:09 pm

PerthAlly wrote:Does a hike from Bynack More to Beinn Mheadhoin look feasible? Planning to start at Coire na Ciste car park. Looks achievable but a long slog. Just wondered how it looked to your eye?

Looks doable, but like you say there's steep climbing & descent so a tough day and best tackled with good visibility. Good luck! :D

Silverhill wrote:It would be rude not to sample award winning fish and chips! :wink: Can you recommend the place?

No, but I can recommend the haddock! (sorry, couldn't resist) Freshly made in a few mins, nice chips, crispy batter... :D
gman

Postby Silverhill » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Silverhill wrote:Can you recommend the place?

gman wrote:No, but I can recommend the haddock!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Rossco » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:33 pm

Looks like a good day out. Top work for going on two separate hills in the one day! :clap:

I like the look of that Bynack More, I think that's one I would take the bike up too. Looks like a good track most of the way.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby AnnieMacD » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:23 pm

That's great doing two trips in a day - no wonder your legs complained.

Your Munro map looks interesting - I think you are very methodical in your bagging! Lots of excitement awaits you :lol:
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby gman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:42 pm

AnnieMacD wrote:Your Munro map looks interesting - I think you are very methodical in your bagging! Lots of excitement awaits you :lol:

I like 'interesting', unfortunately the map tells its own story of boring predictablility :lol: Still, like you say, there's a few special hills in the north west waiting to be bagged :D
gman

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland