walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh - A bit of a trudge

Meall Ghaordaidh - A bit of a trudge

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 05/09/2014

Time taken: 3.3 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 903m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was for rain in the morning hopefully clearing to leave better weather in the afternoon but probably with the top in clag and that's exactly the way the day panned out..

Arriving at Glen Lochay for 12.30 the rain more or less stopped as I parked the car so a promising start.

1.jpg

Parking 50 yards beyond the start of the walk I headed back and through the gate in to the field beside the road. I then followed a good track over to the right of the field where I passed through another gate in to a larger second field where the track started to climb. Following the track until it turned to a faint grassy track it was just a case of following it to the top of the hill where a locked gate can be seen with a stile over the wall about 20 yards to the right of it.

2.jpg

Once over the stile I followed an obvious track uphill with a couple of zig zags before reaching a small cairn to the left of the track (there is also a large pole about 40 yards off the track).

3.jpg
Looking back

Leaving the main track at the cairn the trudge begins. The track climbs the wide south east ridge and with the tops all shrouded in cloud there wasn't much to see other than the climb ahead. The track is a bit damp in places but not too bad. Probably due to the weather it was just a case of head down, engage my trudge gear and head upwards.

4.jpg
Looking back from the south east shoulder of MG

After a while the last large climb comes in to view (or at least the lower part of it does with the top completely in cloud).

5.jpg
Clag time approaching

7.jpg
Looking down to Glen Lochay

Although the gradient increases on the last climb it's now drier underfoot and it doesn't take long to reach the top. The climb from the car to the summit took just under 2hrs.

8.jpg
Clag summit

Half way down I caught my first glimpse of blue skies to the west and for a brief couple of minutes the sun came out.

9.jpg

10.jpg
Looking west up Glen Lochay

11.jpg
Looking east up Glen Lochay

12.jpg
The tops clearing

13.jpg
Sunshine and dark clouds

14.jpg

15.jpg
Looking west again

Not my best day out on the hills this year but better than sitting in the house.

Total time was 3hrs 20 mins with 3hrs on the move and 20 minutes having breathers. Might have to go back to this hill on a better day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh - A bit of a trudge

Postby Silverhill » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:56 pm

That’s good going 3 hours! Shame that you didn’t get any views from the summit, but as you say, better to be out in the hills than sitting indoors. :D If you are going to revisit this hill on a clear day, I can recommend the approach from Glen Lyon, which is very scenic.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby PerthAlly » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:00 pm

I was up BG in June in similar weather. It's an OK day out as you say

But you managed good photos.
PerthAlly
Mountaineer

Munros:145   Corbetts:15
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jmarkb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:39 pm

Combining it with Beinn nan Oighreag makes for a more satisfying day out!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Good effort :clap: :clap: Been plenty of low cloud recently, not fair after all the effort that we put in :(
Don't remember much about this hill either just checked my records, climbed it in 2000 :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Silverhill wrote:That’s good going 3 hours! Shame that you didn’t get any views from the summit, but as you say, better to be out in the hills than sitting indoors. :D If you are going to revisit this hill on a clear day, I can recommend the approach from Glen Lyon, which is very scenic.

Hi Silverhill

Couldn't decide whether to start from Glen Lochay or Glen Lyon - if I head back I'd go for Glen Lyon, I've read it looks more impressive from the north.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:34 pm

PerthAlly wrote:I was up BG in June in similar weather. It's an OK day out as you say

But you managed good photos.

Seem to always get this sort of weather in this part of the world. Never saw a thing on Meall Corranaich and Meall a Choire Leith a couple of months ago or Meall nan Tarmachan last summer.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:38 pm

jmarkb wrote:Combining it with Beinn nan Oighreag makes for a more satisfying day out!

If I had a bit more time that would have been the plan but I had a PC to pick up in Dundee so with a late start to avoid the rain I didn't have enough time. As you say, would have ben more satisfying to have climbed Beinn nan Oighreag as well.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Good effort :clap: :clap: Been plenty of low cloud recently, not fair after all the effort that we put in :(
Don't remember much about this hill either just checked my records, climbed it in 2000 :lol:

I've a feeling in 14 years time I won't remember this hill either.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland